Sign in to follow this  
xenologer

8959 Power Miners: Claw Digger

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

8959 Claw Digger

19.99$USD

Found this one at Target in USA, California.

Actually, took a bit of hunting to get ahold one, the first store didn't have any, but an employee was able to do a computer search and tell me that another Target had them in stockroom (but not on shelf). From the quick glance at his screen they actually had All of them in the back stockroom, simply havent reorganized their shelf space to display any of them. Nice employee was able to pull one out for me.

So Tip for you shoppers: if its not on the shelf Just Ask.

Sorry, but there are no in-build photos, camera was out of batteries when I got this, and I was far too impatient. :tongue:

What you get: Claw Digger, Sulfurix (rock monster) and two crystals.

dsc02918.jpg

Sulfurix and the unamed miner (perhaps when the site gets updated he will be known), apparantly minifigs have orange blood.

dsc02927.jpg

The Claw Digger is sort of a futuristic bulldozer. There's a large bucket in front for pushing dirt around, but instead of a ripper claw in the rear (as on a normal dozer) for digging out tough rocks, this guy has dual clawed swingarms in the front. So its a bit more...aggressive than your usual bulldozer.

These arms are free to rotate, you just twist the orange canisters to swing them; no clever gearing or anything but it works OK.

dsc02919.jpg

To power this fierce machine is one of the best greebled engines I've ever seen in an official set.

Not sure what all that stuff is supposed to be, but it looks very cool; the wheel hubs with dishes on top is a clever design.

dsc02922.jpg

Here you can see how the roll cage flips open for the driver to climb in. His controls are a pair of joysticks, and the grey panel in front of him is supposed to be a sort of sonar/radar screen (but it was a sticker :cry_sad: )

The floodlights are pretty good, except if I was driving I wouldn't want to ever try looking behind me (you'd go blind!).

Also here you can see my absolute favorite part of the set:

Inbetween the floodlights you can see a pickaxe. Based on its hard to get location I believe it's not meant for the driver to use(his tools are behind the engine); rather it is purely decorative like a hood ornament. This detail really emphasizes the purpose and feel of the Claw Digger; it's dual swingarms are essentially giant pickaxes :classic:

dsc02924.jpg

The extra parts and Sticker Sheet:

dsc02932.jpg

Instruction Sheet photo:

As you can see in this step; the chassis is made of studded technic beams and interlocking pins. This gives the Claw Digger a very solid and sturdy construction even with those giant pickaxes swinging around. :thumbup:

Also you can see that all the axles for the wheels are using '5.5stud w stop bushing rods' which makes them roll very smoothly.

dsc02931.jpg

back of the box (there's plenty of front photos elsewhere)

dsc02915.jpg

The Claw Digger and Crystal Sweeper can be combined to make an Amazing Alternate Model:

Already see a clever use for the new roll cage piece in there.

dsc02916.jpg

Action shot of Sulfurix stealing crystals out of the Claw Digger's mouth:

dsc02929.jpg

Well I'm really happy with this set.

Claw Digger's big engine, big wheels, and solid construction really give it a 'character' you can get into.

Always loved bulldozer's since they're simple and fun to shove bricks around with; being able to whack things with the pickaxe arms is a fun plus.

About the only issue that bothered me was the claws drag on the floor. But this is easy to fix; I simply removed the tiny headlights above the dozer bucket to allow it to tip up a little bit higher. From this raised position it lifts the arms up so the claws don't drag when driving around -"transport mode".

Go get one; I suspect that this will end up being one of my favorite PM sets to actually play with (*vroom vroom* *smash*). I'd even think about getting a second one (except I need to get all the other sets first :tongue: ).

Side thought:

So the Claw Digger uses pickaxes, then...

Granite Grinder is a jackhammer,

Thunder Driller is a... drill,

Stone Chopper and Crystal Sweeper are saws...

It would seem that *most* of the PM vehicles are the personification of various power tools; Its too bad though, that only this one seems to include a minifig scale tool of its type in the construction...

Edited by WhiteFang
Indexed

Looks good! A bit pricey. $15/£13 would be better.

Just noticed how fat the rock monsters are! :tongue::laugh:

Hm, I was hoping for some functions...

Thanks for the review.

Thanks for the review. I must say, I rather like the look of this set. For one, it's cheaper than I was expecting, and for another it looks great. It's a bit smaller than I was expecting as well, but it still looks good. The rock monster is great as always, and I love the greebly engine. It's nice to see alt. models on boxes again, we don't get enough of those, and the alt. model here looks pretty cool.

PM certainly looks to be turning out the surprise hit of 2009.

Seems like some of the alt-builds are better than the original sets.

Can't wait for people to start doing reviews of those too once the instructions are up and people have enough sets :classic:

Looks good! A bit pricey. $15/£13 would be better.

Just noticed how fat the rock monsters are! :tongue::laugh:

That's the price in our local toystore! Awesome, isn't it. And also the 30 dollar set is 20 euro, I don't remember its name. But I might buy this Claw Digger for the fair price of 15 EUR, thanks for this review/pictures.

Awesome I have been waiting to find a review on this set! :thumbup: I just got the crystal sweeper and now I am hooked on power miners! :hmpf: So I will probably buy this one but would recommend this set? :cry_happy:

Sulfurix and the unamed miner (perhaps when the site gets updated he will be known), apparantly minifigs have orange blood.

The miners name is accually Rex if you go to the post about the strange icons on their torsos you will see that I have posted all of the PM names! :tongue: And those are stiches not blood! :hmpf_bad: