• 1 - Poor

Pirate Construction Set

Set #: 6192

Theme: Basic Construction Set

Year Released: 2008

Piece Count: 150

Minifigs: 1

List Price: $10 (USD)

Ahoy maties, yet another Pirate set review, but this one be a little different. This set, discussed here and here, is not part of the new Pirates theme, but rather a new basic construction series. One could refer to this set as a Creator set, but the name Creator does not appear on the box. In any case, it includes something special found in no other Pirate set, an exclusive Pirate Captain (pictured later).

My first thought was, why would Lego offer a new Pirate construction set, not part of the Pirates theme? I think Lego was pursuing the Creator builder with this set, or perhaps even a more younger builder that gives the buyer a number of pirate-possibilities using classic bricks. The outcome is actually quite pleasant and offers creative "build-ability", rather than "play-ability".

So, enough talk, let's take a closer look at this set.

Starting with the box which many of you die-hard pirate fans have seen:

01box1.jpg

The back of the box shows some alternate models including a red crab next to what I think looks like a cactus (ok, it's the cowboy in me talking :pir-blush: ):

02box2.jpg

The best part of the entire set is the exclusive blue-torso smiling pirate. Not pictured is the back of the torso that is just solid blue with a brown strap printed along the back:

03fig.jpg

The set also includes two swords and three clear gems as the pirate captain's treasure:

04access.jpg

Although a little too large, the red treasure chest with working lid is actually neatly designed and holds the three clear gems:

05chest.jpg

OK, now don't laugh (or compare this to an actual Lego shark). For using only standard bricks, it's not too bad:

06shark.jpg

On to the pirate ship. It actually isn't too bad for a standard brick-built design. This is actually the type of stuff we made in the late 70s/early 80s before Lego created their Pirate theme (but better :pir_laugh2: ). Only a few of us remember. :pir-blush:

07ship1.jpg

The ship actually has a nice steering wheel piece that is a great piece for MOCs. Here's a shot of the back of the flag and steering area:

08ship2.jpg

One good thing is the sail doesn't wrinkle:

09ship3.jpg

And what kind of pirate ship would not have a plank to walk. Here's the captain checking it out:

10ship4.jpg

After building this set, it even had a number of extra pieces left over. Here's the smaller pieces including a small colorful seagull or parrot (your guess is as good as mine):

11pieces1.jpg

Here's a picture of the larger bricks:

12pieces2.jpg

Pictured in the instructions are some alternate models (same picture as the back of the box):

15instruct.jpg

Here's the complete set:

13set.jpg

And lastly, a picture with many of the new pirates as they flood the small ship:

14plank.jpg

Final Thoughts

I had not seen any of the early pictures of this set as I don't frequent the Pirates forum too often, so I was excited to find it on the store shelf this evening. Although I like the pirate captain, I wasn't expecting too much before building. I was; however, pleasantly surprised upon building the pirate ship. It was a fun and enjoyable build. When judging/rating this set, one should appreciate the fact that this is not part of the Pirate theme and rather intended for the "basic builder". The fact that the set has a minifig that is not contained in any of the Pirates theme sets surprises me, but it does draw pirate fans to buy, which is a great marketing ploy by Lego. I think I may be using this little set as an office toy, as I've wanted to bring some Lego to work for a long time.

This set also offers a few useful pieces and can be used as a fun little stand-alone set for creative building. It would be a fun contest to see what different builders could create using only the pieces contained in this set.

I rate this set around a 3.5 to 4 not comparing it to the new Pirates theme (for younger, "basic" builders). I hope you enjoy this review.

Thanks for the review Brick-man :pir-sweet: A good little set and very piraty for little kids minus the violence :pir-classic: Personelly I wouldnt get it but it is quite a cute little set :pir-blush::pir_laugh2:

I was thinking about getting this set because I absolutely love the minifig. I think the torso looks like he could be a battle-worn lieutenant in the Imperial Navy, just slap a tricorne on him and he'd be set. I may pick this us just as a brick pack and for the figure alone.

thanks for the review!

Thank you for that fine review, TheBrickster! :pir-sweet:

A simply wonderful pirate torso with a neat young-pirate face too!

The ship, treasure chest & shark´re also pretty nice, especially I guess for some younger pirate fans,

or those of us who´re at least still a little young at heart... :pir-laugh:

Perhaps the "unique" pirate is a sign of things to come in other sets, or perhaps this is to replace the dreaded 4+ series, A good move, if you ask me (yes I have a set of them).

Great review, it is interesting the different creations made from it. Some useful colours and pieces. A well deserved 4 or 3.5.

Regards, Cpt. PB

Brickster, thanks once again for another interesting review. I am jealous of you guys, living in the US, getting first hand to build and review these lovely sets. :pir-blush:

I feel that this set is for our much younger audience. The minifig and the white transparent jewel is great accessories. I don't think I will let the ship and the rest, last longer than any of my sets. It will be likely that I will use these bricks and placed it in my cache for parts. I do like the brick built sail though.

By the way, welcome back Cpt. Pegleg. :pir-tongue:

interesting set! I think I'm going to get it, it's not expensive, and it have some parts that are cool^^

I am jealous of you guys, living in the US, getting first hand to build and review these lovely sets. pirate_blush.gif

I totally agree with Whitefang, I m so jealous , let's say it differently, I hate you sooo much :pir-tongue:

Another fine review, TheBrickster! :thumbup:

Love this set, not so much for it's brilliance, but for it's intent. Lure in the new fans and make the old ones buy a set outside of their usual range to get an exclusive figure. It's pure marketing, and sometimes that doesn't work out well, but in this case, it's a neat little set with enough positives to make it worthwhile.

I actually considered swapping to that head at one point, but upon closer inspection, it's a little too youthful for me. The torso, however, may enter sigfig rotation. The hat... well, the cartoony skulls are about the only thing I really don't like much in this line, so I'll pass on using it. They might grow on me, in time... you never know.

If this sells well, I wouldn't be surprised to see a castle equivalent, or maybe TLG could use it as a way to test something new. A set like this with a ninja and one with a cowboy. See what sells better then produce a line. It's a decent test. I'd buy both. :pir_laugh2:

If this sells well, I wouldn't be surprised to see a castle equivalent, or maybe TLG could use it as a way to test something new. A set like this with a ninja and one with a cowboy. See what sells better then produce a line. It's a decent test. I'd buy both. :pir_laugh2:

Actually, there is a Castle and City equivalent for the above sets. :pir-tongue: On the other note, I will love to see a Ninja and Cowboy too.

Actually, there is a Castle and City equivalent for the above sets. :pir-tongue: On the other note, I will love to see a Ninja and Cowboy too.

Yeah I was gonna say...I saw both the pirate one and the castle one at my TRU.

I think these are great little starter sets to get kids interested in a theme. The addition of a minifig really sweetens the deal for kids and adults too. I will definitely pick some up for my nephew's birthday next year as he is at just the right age to transition from Duplo etc but probably would be intimidated by some of the larger, more complex sets.

Good thinking, TLC.

great review.

at least i like the smiley face.

and double sided printed torso is cool too.

anyone can show the picture of the minifig's back torso?

It's a brilliant set! And not as much for AFOLs (who will probably like the minifig but not care too much about the rest) but certainly for children. The model shows how normal bricks can make a shark and a boat and it invites to build more. And the playbility is excellent. Enough play value in boat + treasure + man + shark methinks!

I love how they made the shark and boat out of bricks. I never got used to cloth and paper in Lego sets, sthis sail is a lot more elagant than those in the 'real' pirate sets, actually.

Thanks for the review, Brickster. :thumbup:

Seriously, I think TLC's hit on an awesome idea with these new easy builder sets. Making simple sets to introduce young fans to basic building techniques will surely help them get more young fans into lego, and it harkens back to the early days of the toy when fans only has very simple parts to work with. :thumbup:

What I'm most shocked about is that this set includes an exclusive minifigure! I don't understand how I missed that until now, and I may have to get this set just for him. Besides, some nice parts at an affordable price never hurt anyone. :pir-classic:

Edited by Grevious

An ok set, but not that usefull for me, I'm only interested in the minifig (just like with most of the new pirate sets), which is great. I hope I can get the minifig off BL.

An ok set, but not that usefull for me, I'm only interested in the minifig (just like with most of the new pirate sets), which is great. I hope I can get the minifig off BL.

It is a nice torso.

I would very much want to have that fig for use as an officer, a Lieutenant, perhaps?

I just hope that something can be done about that unfortunate rip in his waistcoat.

With that taken care of, and a bicorne on his head (another head) he would be very useful indeed!

This set looks like a nice set with good pieces and a great minifig. I heard this set would be around 8 euro so it could be a good and not expensive add-on.

I voted Below Average. This is just far too childish for me! :thumbdown:

I think it's hard to compare this set with the official Pirates theme as it is intended for a much younger audience. The recommended age is 4-7 as opposed to 6-12 for the new theme sets.

I applaud Lego for attempting to market the standard bricks to a younger audience, without building more Pirates 4+.

So it's pretty much just paying $10 for a mini-figure. :pir-hmpf_bad: The mini-figure is still a very good one and because of the minifig I gave this set an Average rating.

Brickster, I will like to said thanks again, for doing this unique set review. It helped me in my purchase, before concluding to get one of this set today as part of my first bulk purchase in 2009. I do love the torso and the white jewels very much, as these are the main attractions for me. The ship does look kiddish but at the same time, it is cute too. Kind of reminded me of those simple bulk bricks design, but this is so much better.