On a scale of 1 to 5  

20 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

Three castaways have decided to try their luck on the open sea by building a makeshift raft out of the reckage of their destroyed pirate ship. As the last three survivors marooned on a tropical Caribbean island for several months, this is their last attempt to be freed of the desolate island. With small tattered sails and empty rum barrels used to keep the raft afloat, will they survive the perils of the vast ocean, or will they provide a hearty meal for the sharks that make the island cove their habitat...?

6257-1.jpg

Missing Image

Castaway's Raft

Set #: 6257

Theme: Pirates

Year Released: 1989

Piece Count: 50

Minifigs: 3

List Price: $8.50 (USD)

6257 Castaway's Raft is one of a few Pirate sets that was given to me as a gift in the late 80s. I very much regret not adding to my small collection after admiring other Pirate sets at a local toy store, back when they were available. This review was originally intended to be a Halloween 2008 Review, but after receiving a request to create a normal review of this set for the Pirates Forum, I thought I'd make a special review just for the Pirate fans of EB. I hope you enjoy.

The front of the box has traditional Pirate theme boxart with a small island and colorful sunset. I really liked this style of boxart which just adds to the quality of the Classic Pirate theme:

Missing Image

The back of the box has three different images of alternate models/ideas for creating your own castaway adventure:

Missing Image

The set includes three pirate minifigs. These nondescript pirates can easily serve as sailors for any pirate-related MOC. I always exchanged the blue and red caps so that each match the color of the striped shirts:

Missing Image

For a small set, 6257 does include an abundance of arms/weapons including one rifle, two muskets, and two sabers. With only three minifigs, that's a lot of weapons.

Missing Image

Accessories include a very nice printed pirate flag, and traditional pirate treasure map:

Missing Image

Here's a shot of the raft base that makes up the bulk of the set. It consists of two technic beams with four brown barrels in total (two on each side). Also used are three round 2x2 pieces on each side of the raft. The simple design provides an effective raft that also rolls when placed on a flat surface:

Missing Image

The mast component easily attaches to the base of the raft and uses two brown lances to hang/attach flag pieces:

Missing Image

The complete raft:

Missing Image

Unfortunately missing from the raft are the four small flags that serve as makeshift sails. The hooks of my flags easily broke after only building this set a few times:

Missing Image

What pirate raft would be complete without a shark to chase the crew. Here's Sharkey:

Missing Image

And lastly, an image of the complete set:

Missing Image

Summary

6257 Castaway's Raft is a nice addition to the Pirate Theme. With an abundance of accessories and four brown barrels (with lids), the set makes a great "booster-pack" for a port, dock, or island scene. After one of your pirate ships becomes recked along the shore of a Caribbean island, you can have the remaining crew build this little raft for a survival adventure.

I hope you enjoy this review and can appreciate this small Pirate set.

Great review!

But it's the second time I read it. I saw this one in the town forum.

But really nice review mate. Keep up the great work. :thumbup:

Nice review Brickster :thumbup:

It's very nicely done. :pir-classic:

The set itself isn't too impressive.

They've made better rafts in other sets, this raft design i think is the poorest.

The only thing that makes this set good (or average) are the number of figs it comes with for the cost.

Oh, The sweet memories :pir-wub:

I got this set from my grandparents when we were on vacation on the Island of Texel. I played with this set on the table and the table was sea and some stones from the beach were some islands were the pirates got a safe place to sleep. It was the beginning of my pirates collection.

I played with this set on the table and the table was sea and some stones from the beach were some islands were the pirates got a safe place to sleep.

Neat! I love to reminisce about the fun I had with certain sets as a kid. I could see that this would be a fun one.

Yes, a set very good, especially, if to consider that now - the big rarity. But it so - simply small things, and a set - it is thought over, the truth two persons at pirates here repeat, but minifigures, and as a sail from several tags - very interesting details. It is very good as also the review, for it - thanks. It is pleasant to compare old sets, till 2000, and even to 1990 (!!!) with sets of 2008. The pirate in dark blue clothes is especially magnificently dressed. In the years it was a little above an average (I voted) as I consider as very interesting from the point of view of ideas and I vote for 4 variant of voting. :pir_laugh2::pir-classic:

Ah! That's what i call memories! This is one of the first pirate themed sets i've got for my birthday back in '89, and my mom alowed me to take it to school to show and tell, haha.

Those white ''ripped sails'' indeed broke easily!

I still love this set and often i rebuild it! (with other sails ofcourse!)