Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

"Spooking Up" a Tabletown

I have a very small town currently set up on my tabletop (just a few actual Lego-set buildings). I want to "spook" it up for Halloween, but I could use some tips as to what I could do to make it a little more scary. I thought that some tips would not only help me, but others as well who want to invite some ghouls and goblins into their Lego town.

Your creative ideas are wanted. If we get a lot, I will edit this message to start a list of what one could do to "spook up" their tabletown.

And please, no Post-Apoc Zombies wanted.

I say to put tons of post-apoc zombies throughout your city! :tongue: No, no. I say to have skeletons rising from the dead and terrorizing civilians.

Make a graveyard try using some castle stuff like the sketelton horses, or even use the trolls as zombies.

Well this could be a bit costly, but you could have string running across the main street with working jack-o-lanterns on it?

Like I said in the Halloween comp thread, I have a character in my entry that is a really good use of certain pieces (to me anyway). When I post the entry, i'll post a pic here aswell. (When I say pieces, I mean minifig body parts. He is a minifig, not some kinda monster, though, he has had a rough life :oh: )

Some pumpkins, ghosts, monster, trick-or-treaters, spider webs and egged houses can really add a lot to the Halloween touch! If you have enough time then I'd recommend building a spooky graveyard, church or other spooky building!

Decorative Pickerel

:alien:

P.S. The new castle lines things probably add a lot of Halloweeniness, also those Batman villains are pretty scary along with their joker and fear bombs!

Fun idea for a thread and something I'd like to see actually built! :thumbup:

As for the answer... 2 words: Graveyard Duel.

4766-1.1125858569.thumb2.jpg

Everything you ever wanted for halloweenifying in one box. It's the only Harry Potter set I ever bought.

Crypt. Spooky tree. Graves. Owls. Bats. Snakes. Rickety cart. Chains. Gate and fence. Frog. Skeletons. Worth the price of admission, though sadly unavailable at retail anymore.

Of course, if that won't do, one could dig up some of the old Fright Knights for a witch, the Studio Monster line for a variety of classic monsters, or even the Adventurers for inspiration.

OR, if someone was incredibly creative, they could take elements from the old Wild West line and make a ghost town. :wink:

Why does that sound familiar? :laugh:

Im planing on dressing up some minifigures, and gaving them walk around town trick or treating. I also have a dead guy in the forests with knife in him (hes a skeleton). Thats as spooky as I get though...

Use the skeletons, zombies, ghosts, etc., but pose them in certain ways to look like decorations. For example, tie the ghosts up to a tree using white thread to make them "float".

I'm reading some very creative ideas:

- Skeletons in various parts of the town - as if rising from the dead

- Skeletons on strings hanging from trees

- A graveyard

- Harry Potter Graveyard Duel w/ crypt, spooky tree, owls, bats, snakes, cart, and gate/fence.

- Skeleton horses from the Castle theme

- String of non-Lego jack-o-lantern lights

- Pumpkins

- Ghosts

- Studios Movie Monsters

- Batman villains

- Joker fear bombs

- Fright Knight witch

- Trick-or-treaters

- Dead guy with a knife (custom minifig)

- Spider webs on the buildings

- Spooky church

- Elements from the Wild West theme for a Ghost Town

These are all excellent ideas to "spook-up" a Tabletown.

Well heres some more:

Put a big abyss in the middle of your town and but creatures of evil popping out of em.

Random bats anywhere would help.

Custom MJ Thriller figure dancin in the street.

Scarecrow figure but as an actual scarecrow.

Plants growing over buildings.

Blair witch sign all over the place.

Mad Scientist lab somewhere.

Jokers Ice cream truck (You seen the thing? Gives me knightmares).

Bit of a stretch this one: Firework truck delivering fire works for Bonfire night.

Some working lights with colors like green, red and orange could also add to the creepy feel.

The old 9V dual light bricks even flicker when you out them on in reverse. :sweet:

Isn't Tabletown the name of Dr. Sinister's town? :sceptic: Anyways, this seems like a fun topic. You should make a building that is filled with blood and rotting corpses! :devil:

Here is the character I was talking about (I made him):

2969769794_e4f1a17bb5_o.jpg

An escaped mental patient. I am not sure whether I should enter the comp or not now, but if I get time to make a good vig, I will certainly post it.

I think he is a great addition to a scary town. I would liked to have given him a Brickarms Baseball bat, but I don't have one, yet. Hope your town turns out real spooky Brickster.

I always find figures with blank faces sort of truly creepy and scary. The more figures the scarier they are, especially if they just stand about in odd places doing nothing in particular.

Also, gigantic empty egg shells or even empty coffins say spooky. Having the monsters actually there could ruin the effect if they are not very spooky but the unknown "what came out of that" type of thought is scary.

Sounds neat! :classic: I hope that you will take some "before" and "after" pics and share them with us! Here are my suggestions:

• Have Jack-o-lantern, the headless guy who carries a pumpkin under his arm, ride through the streets on his black (skeleton) horse, like in the banner of this forum!
  • Have the orcs from Castle roam the streets as zombies/monsters!
  • Have Fluffy (from Harry Potter), a troll (from Harry Potter or Castle), and/or the rock monster from Rock Raiders attack something!
  • You can put a giant spider (like those from Creator sets or Aragog from the Harry Potter set 4727) somewhere as either a Halloween decoration or a real monster attacking the town, like in that movie poster in Town Plan.
  • Put some lime green bricks somewhere as Goosebumps-style monster blood slime or make a slime monster out of them!
  • Scatter some Lego spiders, owls, black cats, and bats all over town!
  • Add the Howling Hut from Harry Potter set 4756 as an abandoned and haunted house, or mod one of your own buildings to have wooden boards on the windows and doors etc! Adding a ghost or two to that would enhance the haunted feeling of it!
  • Mod one of your buildings to look like it has been "tricked"! Perhaps, it could be wrapped in toilet paper (white plates/tiles)?
  • Put a Grim Reaper in there somewhere, like the ones in the skeleton BP or the small Castle chess set!
  • Some custom horror movie villains like Jason, Freddy Krueger, or Michael Myers would be neat too!

This is all I can think of right now. Hope that helped.

Isn't Tabletown the name of Dr. Sinister's town? :sceptic:

Correct. It's OK, my Lawyers are recording each instance that the name is used and will be sending out law suits for trademark infringement at the end of the month. :wink:

Dr. S.

Correct. It's OK, my Lawyers are recording each instance that the name is used and will be sending out law suits for trademark infringement at the end of the month. :wink:

I always thought "Tabletown" was a generic name for any Lego town on a table. - oops, that's once more. :blush:

Where's Athos when we need him?

I always find figures with blank faces sort of truly creepy and scary. The more figures the scarier they are, especially if they just stand about in odd places doing nothing in particular.

Also, gigantic empty egg shells or even empty coffins say spooky. Having the monsters actually there could ruin the effect if they are not very spooky but the unknown "what came out of that" type of thought is scary.

Very true, good idea :thumbup:

I think blood comming out of some buildings is pretty scary or some random blood on the foot path or even on the windsreen of a car. :wink:

Do you have any pics of your town?

Also Fabuland is pretty darn scary, imagine seeing one of those on the street :oh::grin:

Spooky on :alien:

I always thought "Tabletown" was a generic name for any Lego town on a table. - oops, that's once more. :blush:

You're probably right. When I chose the name I just picked one that seemed appropriate.

Oh, don't fret. His lawyers are horrible. You could represent yourself and win! :tongue:

This is true, they are pretty terrible.

Dr. S.

One cool thing, which I have not the bricks, space or time to do, is create a derelict town, but the colors of the houses, street and trees ALL bleed over to black in one area, with some kind of all-black monster standing in the center of it.

(A few all-black minifigs laying on the ground would be cool too, to say nothing of one having crawled out a few feet (studs) into the "correctly" colored part of town.