• Poor

indexed.gif

7038 Troll Assault Wagon

Theme: Castle

Released: 2008

Price: 20 USD

Pieces: 137 (4 minifigures)

Introduction:

With the orcs using the neverending source of energy, what will our hero crownies do? Yield to fate or fight to death ?

We have one booklet for instructions:

No alternate models.

00.jpg

Standart parts for a castle model:

The wheels are the ugliest things I have ever seen.

01.jpg

Extra parts:

We don't get a sticker sheet with this set.

02.jpg

4 figures for 20 USD:

We have two different crownies, a nice orc and a great troll.

03.jpg

The big troll is a beautiful beautiful creature!

He can hold other figures in his hands, mostly crownies unfortunately.

04.jpg

He has spikes on his back, I wonder if they hurt when he's sleeping?

I love the sand green color, it looks better than the dark tan troll which comes in 7036 Dwarves' Mine.

05.jpg

We get a good variety of weapons with this set:

It would be perfect if the big troll had a club.

06.jpg

The cart is cute but the handle could have been a little shorter:

I'll modify this and use it in MOCs.

07.jpg

Building in progress:

Too many Technic elements for a castle model.

08.jpg

There are three missiles hidden behind the flag:

They are fired by pulling the spring stand. Flag slows down the missiles though.

09.jpg

Still building:

I don't want any more of that useless spine!

10.jpg

I wish we had cloth flags instead of plastics:

Metallic silver 1x1 round plates will come in handy.

11.jpg

It's very empty on the inside:

7092 Skeletons' Prison Carriage was much better when it came to building.

12.jpg

Complete model:

It's very hard to drive the wagon, chains will break immediately.

13.jpg

Won't stop until he gets the chicken leg:

Actually the whip is a little short.

14.jpg

Oldest trick in the book, but it works with our dumb troll:

He is mostly fed with crownies so food is cheap. Why not use his power to pull battle wagons?

15.jpg

Folder when public:

Brickshelf

Rating:

-Figures: 8/10 All of the figures are nice and detailed, big troll is the ultimate figure. But we could have one more at this price.

-Parts: 6/10 Nothing new and interesting, too many Technic elements. Figure weapons are nice though, I love the orc sword.

-Price: 7/10 If we had some other figure instead of the big troll it would be extremely pricy. We get very few parts too!

-Design: 6/10 I don't find it appealing and it's doesn't have much playability.

-Building: 6/10 All that Technic building is boring when you want to play with something castlish.

-Total: 33/50 If it didn't have the orc and the big troll, I'd probably pass this one.

Conclusion:

Figures are interesting for castle builders, other than I don't find anything appealing with this set. It's poor to play with, part count and selection is awful. Considering the price tag, it's not a shining model. None castle player will definetly avoid this one but castle builders will probably get this since it's the cheapest way to have a troll.

Links:

Brickset Reviews

Bricklink Entry

Peeron Inventory

Edited by KimT
indexed

Thanks for the review. Although it looks like a great set with a troll, I don't think I will get it. The fact it has so much technic pieces doesn't make this set a good one. I voted Average.

A great set in my opinion.

The only thing that annoys me a little is that it feels like a rip-off copying the design of the Viking Wagon.

Thanks for giving us this fine review cagri

Among this year and last year Castle theme' sets, this is by far the least liked design from my entire current castle collection. I don't like the design of the wagon, and find it hard to integrate it into my orc armies. It has too many technic parts and the back of the wagon is too bare. The only thing I like about this set, is the addition of green troll and the drumstick. Perhaps, the weapon cart and the 2 soldiers. However, I don't really like these crown torsos very much unlike the scale armor and chainmail version. I will have to give a below average for it.

Cagri, thanks for doing up this informative review. :thumbup:

Thanks for the cagri review, I bought this set the other day and was rather happy with it. I voted "average" as it could've been better, but the fig selection is great in my opinion, and it is a cheap way of getting a giant troll which is awesome. The wagon may not be that great but it is going to be really fun to mod in my eyes and I look forward to doing just that.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

Nice review cagri! I must admit when I saw what was in this set I decided to pass on it for the same reasons as you stated. The only thing nagging at me are the different faces for the knights. Maybe I will pick them up on BL.

I sure hope you never do a review of Death Star 10188, as laying all the parts out could be a nightmare :wink:

I like this set and agree it would have been better if the giant troll had a club. I attached the chains to the front of the giant troll so his hands could be free to harass anything that got too close.

Standart parts for a castle model:

The wheels are the ugliest things I have ever seen.

01.jpg

Hardly a single normal brick in this set at all. Its what's been keeping me from getting this one.

I thought this was Lego?

Steve, who is a little tired of technic construction used for everything...

Steve, who is a little tired of technic construction used for everything...

Yea, I agree with that. It seems almost every set has technic beams and stuff in it. :sceptic:

nice revieuw. I wanted the set just for the troll, now I know the rest of the set isn't really worth it.

Good pictures also.

I got this set for the Green Troll, and I liked it. I liked the Troll and the set. However, I find it a little stupid that it's copy of the Viking, it looks a lot like it, and that the space on the Wagon it self is so empty: maybe some barrols with other chicken legs in it?

A nice set, but not a must buy. Thanks for the review.

Nice review,

I like the pic-reviews on Eurobricks.

I own this set and don't realy like it. The minifigs are nice, but I don't like the assault wagon itself.

There is too much open space in it, and the wheels are awfull.

The Viking wagons are much better than the ones in the Castle theme.

The Viking wagons wheels are grey, and more balanced in the overall design.

Today I built this set, so here are my thoughts.

I can't help comparing it to the "Army of Vikings with heavy artillery wagon". That's not only an impressing name, but an impressing set too.

I bought the Army... for 17 Euros (RRP = 30) and this Troll assault wagon for 15 (RRP = 20).

The pros in the Troll wagon are: the giant troll (who wouldn't want to own at least one of them?), the small troll (being my first one... where

in the blue hell

are those new impulse sets?), the fact you can lower the spears and the flag (that helps when your built sets lie in a closed space) and the small blu Technic piece at the end of the magazine, the idea of using the chicken leg with the giant troll as one would use a carrot with a donkey and those creepy Bionicle spines.

The cons: Only 3 Crownies weapons (and they need a small cart to carry them!), only one small troll, a not so big piece count (161) and the fact that the whole thing is a rip-off of something older, bigger and better.

That's why I rated it "Average".

Edited by The Cobra

Thanks for the review, you did a fine job.

I voted above average, just because there is a troll insite the box.

But like someone before did mention, the Assault wagon sure looks like al lot lik the Viking wagons.

It should have had it own style.