Sign in to follow this  
Shadows

EB News Presents: KDog!

Welcome to EB News. I'm Staudie, and this is ... well ...

kdog1.jpg

I don't know where the hell everyone else is. I'm pretty sure I'm not early. I'm never early. Well, my mom says I was early, but that was a long time ago and I don't remember it very well. Actually, she says they weren't really ready for me, but I don't know what that means.

Wait. I think I hear something, it must be Shadows arriving in his little space scooter. I've never actually seen it, but he was trying to act like it was some big thing and I'd be all impressed, but I doubt it.

kdog2.jpg

Oh my... Look at that thing! I...

kdog3.jpg

AAaaahhhh!

Impressed?

Yeah. B-b-b-but isn't that ...

I borrow it when he isn't using it. He throws in the guards to carry my luggage.

Y-y-y-you kn-nuh-nuh-nuh-ow him?

Of course.

Wait a minute!

What?

Why don't you need a helmet?

Huh? Oh... that's hard to explain.

I don't want to know.

Good call. Excellent! Our guest is arriving now! Aw, it's a cute scooter thingy.

kdog4.jpg

Welcome KDog!

Thanks, Shadows! Good to see you again! You too, Stutter.

Stauder. :hmpf_bad:

Close enough. :laugh:

kdog7.jpg

Why is that Blacktron guy stealing my ship? :oh3:

kdog6.jpg

Oh, he isn't stealing it. He's, uh, parking it. We're a top notch show here, we have valet parking.

We do? :wacko:

Shut up. :hmpf:

Right, we do! Isn't that Hin...

*smacks Staudie*

So, let's get started!

kdog5.jpg

Well, KDog, mind explaining your name?

It's really a crap name, isn't it? I've never use it anywhere else, just on Lego forums. What happened is that when I started the Lego: Space comic, I hoped my friend Dan would help me with it, as we both like Legos and moronic humor; I thought this project would be a perfect outlet for that. And I thought we'd publish the comics under two names that sounded like they belonged to club DJs. KDog (with the K for my first name, Kevin) and DHub (D for Dan and then the first three letters of his last name). I went ahead and posted the first couple of comics I did on my own, but Dan didn't seem very interested unless it was Star Wars. And I had my own ideas about telling a backstory for Lego's Space theme. So, Dan just reads the comics on occasion, now. But he had a great idea for a Star Wars comic that I might work in somewhere.

It's better than Staudie, which means "annoying" in 13 languages. Really. I have a list somewhere.

What is your sig fig?

I change it now and then, but it's currently Commander Schwartz, the slacker main character of my comic, dressed up as Indiana JoneIndiana Schwartz!

av-2776.jpg

Yeah, well we appreciate you appearing in space form today, it made it a lot easier since I didn't actually look up your sigfig.

What is your favourite theme? My personal guess is Classic Space...

But of course. It's the theme that always most captured my imagination. The Lego designers really got to let loose with Space as compared to something more realistic and terrestrial like Town. But I would say I love Space as a whole, not just Classic (although it was my first love). For some strange reason, I go rabid over UFO sets and have almost the whole collection. I do have other themes that I love almost as much as Space, although I don't have that many sets from any of them. Castle would be second (I want Black Falcon's Fortress soooo bad...), followed by Indiana Jones and Classic Town.

Classic Town? Well, have I got the place for you! Classic-Town.net! Proud sponsor of EB News, more or less, and personally run by that guy who keeps interrupting the show, what's-his-name.

Hin...

*smacks Staudie*

He-who-shall-not-be-named.

Right!

And your 3 favourite sets would be?

I think that changes on a daily basis. But I can tell you what my current three favorites are. The FX-Star Patroller (6931) might be my favorite Classic Space ship. It's both elegant and badass, and is hella fun with its detachable, smaller ship at the front and its lab, which includes a robot on a moon buggy. It's also the soul sister of the Gamma-V Laser Craft (6891), known in my comic as Commander Schwartz's ship. Another current favorite is King's Castle Siege (7094), which I recently broke down and bought. I never had a Lego castle and always wanted one, and this set comes darn close to the aesthetic of the classic sets. And it's honkin' huge and is immensely fun. I think the current Castle series is the best since the original years. Love the skeletons! Finally, Indiana Jones and the Lost Tomb (7621) is one of my all-time favorites. It's the perfect Lego playset and captures the feel of the Indiana Jones movies. Lego packed a ton of great things into what is only a medium-sized set; the dropping snakes, the falling Anubis statues, the skeleton bursting through the wall, the Ark of the Covenant, great Indy and Marion minifigs, the Droids hieroglyphics - this is just a fantastic set.

The greatest Lego related moment for you would be?

It's more a period of time, which would be the mid-1980s when I would visit my friend Scott's farmhouse and we would play with his Space Lego. I didn't have a lot of Lego of my own, as I was more focused on Transformers, but I would be in awe when I saw the great Space stuff he had. I don't think I even knew they existed until going to his house. He had so many of the awesome sets from the early to mid-80s. It was a magical time, not just because of Legos, but because of childhood and those feelings are part of the reason I haven't let Legos go.

And the equivalent of that moment here at EB would be?

It would be all the positive response and interest the comic generates. I didn't know what people would think when I first posted a link to it. Would they hate it, think it stupid? I used to draw webcomics and not only was I not that great at writing humor (since my own is pretty offbeat), but I would be lucky if the comics got 10 views a day. But people have been really supportive of the Lego comic. It's something that interests all of us here and it fits my storytelling style and humor, I suppose. At this point, I think I have between 700 and 1,000 regular readers.

And being interviewed, of course!

Oh, of course.

What figure are my SF's torso and legs from?

Mike the Fabuland Monkey?

Be nice to Fabuland, it never did anything to you.

How is the SPACE Comic coming along?

I'm just shocked that I've kept up with doing three comics a week since early February. The process is becoming somewhat more streamlined, thankfully. Perhaps the EB News crew could show up in one of my storylines involving the DACTA news agency. That would be a perfect fit!

Perhaps so. We're always available, though I don't really have a space sigfig. Well, let us know and we'll come up with something.

I was wondering if we can see your whole Space Collection (Gotta love teasing the people who missed out xP ) ?

A photograph of a nondescript cabinet of Tupperware shelves isn't very interesting. However, I can snap some photos of my "Cabinet of Wonders," which is where I (messily) store most of the Space sets I use frequently and don't feel like rebuilding each time I shoot pictures for the comic. It's reminiscent of the cabinet in which Mr. Rogers kept his "Land of Make Believe" toys.

cab1.png

cab2.png

cab3.png

cab4.png

cab5.png

Am I annoying?

I don't think so. But you're talking to the king.

Did you ever see the Dragonator interview? Staudie is the queen... That makes you two a couple! Couple of what, I don't know! Hahahaha... Er. Sorry. :blush:

What is your opinion on the re-release of a Classic Space fig in the Vintage Figures set, and the New Space Skulls/Police theme?

I like that Lego is honoring Classic Space and putting some red torsos with crisp, gold logos out there. I think it's lame that they're not bothering to use the original helmet. Space Skulls and Star Justice are wonderful, imaginative sets that implement building techniques that are incredibly fun and that I hadn't really encountered before in Lego setAnd those sets were designed by our own, which is awesome. I'd like to see sets like these on retail shelves outside of the Lego Store.

How do you this TLC is fairing this season?

Lego is at a high point, I think, putting out really strong sets both in its original themes and licensed themes. I'll always love 1980s Lego out of nostalgia, but man, these are some good times.

And your thoughts on Mars Mission?

It's had some great sets with highly imaginative designs, especially in the 2008 line-up. I don't find a bunch of miners fighting somewhat bland aliens all that exciting, though. I hope the rumors of Space Police (and hopefully Blacktron) coming back are true.

Who should we put in the hot seat next time?

I would say one of my readers, since they're pretty insightful people. Did you interview Inertia yet?

Yes, we have. Doesn't anybody read these? I know I don't, but still...

kdog8.jpg

And that's our cue to wrap things up!

Is it?

I don't know. You said he was supposed to have a cameo appearance, then didn't explain why.

Oh, right. He's blurry too.

That's to simulate movement. He's running through quickly.

Sure.

Just shut up.

Well, special thanks to KDog for joining us and for all of you who managed to sit through this much Staudie.

You know, this is the first interview of our second year of EB News, and I feel that warrants my taking a moment to tell you all just how much I appreciate your continued support. I realise that coming in and telling us it was a great show over and over could get a little repetitive eventually, but just knowing that you read them makes it all worth while.

Thank you!

*camera fades*

First of all, the pictures' quality are fanastic! Hinck looks cute in that Blacktron. Just like a Classic Space Baby! :laugh: Staudie in classic space appearence. Shadows arriving in style! The indiana jones hat, looks great on you. And, of course K Dog, my favourite classic space blue torso. :blush:

It's nice to know more about you, a great comic writer which has demostrated fun entertainment value for EB and LEGO community. I did not know that you are into Classic Town as well. Do visit Classic Town.net for a fun experience. :tongue:

I am very surprised that your favourite top 3 LEGO sets are the recent 7094 and 7621. Most of us felt that older sets are much better. I thought you will be featuring all of your space sets. Great interview! :thumbup:

WhiteFang, I have a lot of favorites, lol, most of them Space sets. I'm enamored at the moment with King's Castle Siege, though, and I'm a long-time Indy fan and love the Lost Tomb set.

What figure are my SF's torso and legs from?

Mike the Fabuland Monkey?

Be nice to Fabuland, it never did anything to you.

That is the first time you made me laugh out loud. :thumbup:

Stauder.

Great interview! I've always wondered about the man behind the Shwartz.

That sounded wrong. :tongue:

Majek is the new worker? Hmmmmm.... he doesn't seem to be the newsy type, but he makes great vigs. And there's the giant and most likely possibility that I'm wrong and it's NOT Majek.

I can't see why your reader numbers are falling, that was an informative interview. Nice work on the backround, Shadows- it's good and crisp. :thumbup: This interview had a lot of funny remarks,; the Fabuland Moe remark really got me giggling! :tongue: And I can't believe the Blacktron parking the scooter was really Hin-

*is mysteriously whacked from behind, then slapped by IS*

Edited by Adam

How can I not comment after such a touching closing. :cry_happy:

Heh heh... great interview guys! It was an enjoyable read.

Nice to see you starting the 2nd year this good.

I feared you were going to give up, after those last topics (which I've read but not commented; guilty me :laugh: ).

I'm sure everybody love this program, and we'll always be wanting to read new interviews. Imo, in this kind of topics, it's not the number of posts that counts, but the number of views.

Keep it up.

LuxorV

Great interview guys! :thumbup: I read all of these, and although I don't always comment, I'm still always here. :grin:

Excellent photography Shadows, I loved it, and the opening was pretty darn good. I take it that Hinckley is the new staff member, as the official valet? :tongue:

Am I annoying?

I don't think so. But you're talking to the king.

Did you ever see the Dragonator interview? Staudie is the queen... That makes you two a couple! Couple of what, I don't know! Hahahaha... Er. Sorry. :blush:

I remember that. :laugh::devil:

Great Interview! :grin:

I was wondering when KDog was gonna be interviewed, it was great seeing it done :sweet:

Awesome job on this, and Hinckley in the Blacktron II suit made me laugh :laugh:

Great review guys! The 2nd year of EB is starting out with a great start! Hilarious interview....keep them going! :thumbup: KDog, I've never seen your space comics before, I'll have to go check them out! :wink:

WhiteFang, I have a lot of favorites, lol, most of them Space sets. I'm enamored at the moment with King's Castle Siege, though, and I'm a long-time Indy fan and love the Lost Tomb set.

Is the King's Castle Siege, your only favourite castle set? I did not know you are also into Castle theme as well. Maybe, you should drop by the History and Adventure Forum often. Me too, I am an Indiana Jones's fan. By the way, keep up the good work in your comic reading. As usual, they are entertaining. :wink:

Great interview, I think this might be the first time I've come across KDog here.

I'll try to read his comic if I find the time.

*EB news Critic* - "They let some colour tags slip through again, is their editor cross-eyed? Predictable, Hinckley again makes an appearance and Stauder (Stutter) is again nothing but a mindless work slave for IS. 1 out of 5 :hmpf_bad:

*bonk*

I really hate critics that make everything good seem bad! Great work as per usual guys. Love the way Shadows arrives, rather fitting for him being the (now dead and extinct) kings adviser!

I unlike the snob with his nose up his... you know... I give it a 4.95/5 the 0.05 off because you did not include one of his comics!

How did my nose get there... okay fine, it going to take hours to wash that smell out... :sick:

5/5

*walks off sniffing*

Regards Cpt. PB

"They let some colour tags slip through again

Sonofa... :oh3:

Hey, what do you mean again? :hmpf_bad:

I really hate critics that make everything good seem bad! Great work as per usual guys. Love the way Shadows arrives, rather fitting for him being the (now dead and extinct) kings adviser!

I should have brought Mary. :devil:

*walks off sniffing*

That guy smells funny. Like a clown or something. :sick:

Is the King's Castle Siege, your only favourite castle set? I did not know you are also into Castle theme as well. Maybe, you should drop by the History and Adventure Forum often. Me too, I am an Indiana Jones's fan. By the way, keep up the good work in your comic reading. As usual, they are entertaining. :wink:

I love the classic stuff, also. KCS is currently sitting in a place of honor on my bookshelf. It's a very fun set and I love the skeletons vs. knights theme. A shame it's being phased out. Thank you for the compliments on the comics!

I hope some of you check out the comics. Always happy to entertain and hear your thoughts.

Aaargh! I missed this, sorry!

Great interview guys, I must say I'm very happy to see KDog being interviewed as his ongoing comic has really brought a lot of needed attention back to the space and Mecha forum.

And that is one mighty collection you have there KDog, thanks for the pics, truly impressive.

And not wanting to criticise, but I think the EB news team needs some more fresh jokes, I think the Hinckley ones wore out ten interviews ago.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

And not wanting to criticise, but

Have you ever noticed that whenever someone says that, there's always a big but involved? In this case, it's Batbrick. :laugh:

I think the EB news team needs some more fresh jokes,

Your face is a new joke. :tongue:

Now see? That was funny. Everyone, or at least everyone but you, is laughing. That's what we strive for here on EB News, we like to keep the jokes within the grasp of the audience, and so far, so good. :grin:

I think the Hinckley ones wore out ten interviews ago.

Hinckley is a worn out joke? I'm glad you said that and not me ... :look: