indexed.gif

Set Name: Crossbow Attack

Set Number: 7090

Theme: Castle

Pieces: 54

Minifigs: 3

Released: 2007

Price: 5.99USD, 3.99 EUR, 7.99 CDN

Legoshop.com description: Ready, aim, fire!It's a battle of brave knights against the evil skeleton rider! Includes 2 knights, skeleton and a skeleton horse! Rolling wagon has a launcher that really fires!

Bricklink Inventory

Peeron Inventory

Brickshelf Gallery

Now, On to The Review!

The Box

crossbow_attack013.jpg

As you can see, the front of the box illustrates the set very nicely, showing the skeleton warrior attacking and the knights firing their crossbow.

The Back

crossbow_attack014.jpg

The Back of the box shows a small battle happening between a knight and a skeleton, as well as the main feature of the set, the firing crossbow (more on that later.)

The Instructions

crossbow_attack015.jpg

Not much to say here, its the same as the front of the box.

The Back of The Instructions

crossbow_attack001.jpg

This merely shows pictures of other sets in the castle line.

Random Instruction page

crossbow_attack002.jpg

This set does not use piece callouts to tell you what parts you will need in each step. However, the set is so small you should never have trouble finding a piece.

The Minifigures

crossbow_attack003.jpg

This is the main reason I bought this set. You get two knights, one with a standard helmet, and the other one with a new mold. You also get a skeleton warrior.

The Horse

crossbow_attack011.jpg

The set comes with a skeleton horse that looks great. However, it is a single molded piece that has no articulation.

Close-up of the Warrior riding his horse

crossbow_attack010.jpg

Here you see the brave skeleton riding in on his...ah......er......um......noble steed!

The Accessories/Weapons

crossbow_attack007.jpg

For Minifigure Accessories, you get an axe, a skeleton sword, and a skeleton shield.

Extra Pieces

crossbow_attack012.jpg

I was left with one skeleton arm and one leg when I was finished the build.

The Crossbow Wagon

crossbow_attack005.jpg

and now, to the main part of the set, the crossbow wagon. It is really just a plate with some whells attached and a lot of those cheese wedge pieces to create the track for the projectile.

Back View

crossbow_attack006.jpg

This view shows the mechanism that makes the crossbow fire. It is powered by a rubber band. You pull back on a technic piece, which creates tension in the elastic band. When you let go, the elastic pushes the piece forward, which in turn hits the projectile and makes it fire! It works fairly well, but I would have prefered it fired farther.

Entire Set

crossbow_attack009.jpg

The Skeleton charges at his adversaries!

crossbow_attack008.jpg

The knights prepare to counterattack!

Overall

Build: 10/10 The build is simple, easy and quick.

Set design: 7/10 The crossbow could have worked a bit better.

Playability: 8/10 The crossbow is fun to shoot. :grin:

Minifigs: 10/10 It doent get much better than this. I love that domed helmet mold!

Price: 8/10 The set is very affordable and worth the price.

Overall Score:43/50

Conclusion

Overall, this is a great set and a solid army builder. You get three minifigures for a fair price and the crossbow wagon adds some much-needed playability. I bought two of these to bolster my army and to stock up on those rare domed helmet pieces. Basically, get this set! Thank you for taking the time to read my review. I hope you liked it!

I agree that this set is worth the price considering the amount of minifigs and even a skeletal horse. It also comes with a lot of blue 1x1 slopes that are always useful and quite rare to obtain. Another weapon for the soldier operating the catapult (or a shield for the other soldier) would have been great, but that is pushing it. The crossbow itself is quite nice and is better than what most $6 sets come with, IMO. Overall, a good set indeed.

Thank you for the review and the other review concerning The Knight, of which I hope to buy in the near future as it looks like it comes with a great deal of goodies. The weapon rack is useful, too.

I like this set mostly because it has some very usable pieces, but also because of the amount of minifigures in the set, which is a whopping three and one large animal (skeleton horse). The one thing, however, that I don't like about it, is that one of the catapult operators isn't armed. In my opinion, this would have been a good time for TLG to release a suitable dagger piece (not the kitchen knife) for its Castle line.

Great review, by the way, it captured the key elements of this fantastic small set.

Nice review, to start off. You got all the details someone could possibly need, in my opinion at least. I do enjoy this set as well, and I've bought only one to keep my minifigs as unique as possible. Despite my personal preference, I still find this a nice army builder. Good amount of minifigs for the price, as mentioned earlier, with each being different from the other. Though I would like the catapult manager to be armed with at least something, I still feel that he can just flee if he's ever in trouble. He's a good guy to use for the Castle gimmics if you have it.

One more small comment. I also love those domed helmets, even if they aren't actually new. My favorite of them all, being followed up by the racer helmet.

Nice review . I still thing sets like this are the reason castle has done so well, it allows you to collect a large number of minfig for not very much cash, which I certainly indulged in. My only complaint is that you end up with the evil skeletons out numbered, however heard of the good guys winning with the numbers in their favour.

Nice review . I still thing sets like this are the reason castle has done so well, it allows you to collect a large number of minfig for not very much cash, which I certainly indulged in. My only complaint is that you end up with the evil skeletons out numbered, however heard of the good guys winning with the numbers in their favour.

I've experienced that problem too. I find my knights outnumber my skellies about 3:1. :sceptic:

I've experienced that problem too. I find my knights outnumber my skellies about 3:1. :sceptic:

A crownie dies easyer than a skeleton.

It's so hard to perforate the lungs or pierce the heart on a skeleton with a spear or crossbow bolt, isn't it?

A great set with a reasonable price.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Added to the index.