Stauder

EB News Presents : Morgan19...

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the Monday edition of EB News Presents, today with us is Jamie, better known as Morgan19. I am your Host, Stauder, and this is our retired script-writer-turned-heckler ImperialShadows.

Q. Welcome to EB News Jamie, mind explaing your screenname to us? Do you have a SigFig to go with that?

Thanks for the welcome! And sure, Jamie is fine.

The story behind my username is actually fairly boring. I was starting college in the Fall of ’97 and, as hard as it is to believe now, didn’t have a personal email address yet. I simply took my middle name (Morgan) and my age at the time (19) and… drumroll… stuck them together! Thrilling, no? :classic: I can’t remember why I started doing so, but I’ve been signing all my Internet posts with “m19” for as long as I can remember– something about the lowercase M paired with the 19 just always struck me as neat.

Whoop-de-do...

You can see my sigfig here. The torso is a fun little custom decal I whipped up based on a $5 tshirt I’d bought from Target a few years back.

Ahh, yes, reminds me of my days of playing tetris...

Don't you mean-

TETRIS.

Q. I belive you specialize in steampunk and space, is that correct? Mind explaining to us how to acheive steampunk-ness?

I’d definitely consider myself largely a Space builder, yes, but I do enjoy branching out into other themes to flex the creative juices. In terms of steampunk models, I’ve actually only ever made the four creations currently in my gallery: the Dardenbahst, Kriegerhund, Duhnlist, and Obenwolken, and those all came about within a three-week period or so for a contest Kaminoan was running over at Fine Clonier.

It seems like what really stuck out in people’s minds about my steampunk models were the custom gold-painted pieces– some loved them, others thought they were pushing it. When I was doing preliminary research into the steampunk theme, one difference I kept noticing between LEGO and non-LEGO steampunk really stood out to me– namely, the bronze/gold valves, pipes, tubing, and so forth that steampunkery has. I think plenty of builders get caught up in the idea that steampunk is only brown and grey and neglect the “prettier” aspects the theme can offer up. I personally hadn’t seen bronzed parts integrated into steampunk LEGO before and had a gut feeling that that would be one of the defining characteristics of my four MOCs, so I went with it.

In terms of “achieving steampunkiness”, or any theme for that matter, my biggest recommendation would absolutely be to do research! Browsing Brickshelf or Flickr along with Google Images for “real world” pictures can help you get your head around techniques, styles, and provide inspiration.

Did you know the floor in the space-ship in the movie Alien was a bunch of up-side down Milk Cartons?

Q. On that note, how many more pieces does it take to steam-punk something than to just build it normally?

I’ve found that steampunk tends to have a lot more greebling than other themes– all those pipes and tubes can really add up! I feel that it’s important to show a semblance of a machine’s inner workings, and that translates to lots of exposed machinery and other elements that make a viewer think “Hey, that could actually work as a vehicle.” If the viewer believes the model could be real, that’s a big plus in my book.

Q. Since when have you admired the brick?

Oh, that would be since forever. :classic: I was lucky enough that my parents encouraged my playing and building with LEGO as a kid, while a lot of my other friends were busy with Mario and Duck Hunt. I have vivid memories of many weekend mornings in the 80s, sitting on the floor of my room, Rubbermaid LEGO tubs arrayed around me, with Casey Kasem’s Top 40 Countdown playing on the radio. Good times. Like most kids I had a Dark Ages somewhere between ages 13 and 18, but the Star Wars line kicked that time square in the patootie!

Q. What is your favourite offical theme?

That’s actually a tough question. I grew up with the old Castle lines (Black Falcons in particular) and post-Classic Space (especially Futuron and Blacktron) and love them to death, but I’d say these days the Star Wars and Castle lines really make me “ping”. On top of introducing so many great building techniques, new parts, and minifigs, the Star Wars sets are just all-around great… I mean, who hadn’t imagined zooming around an official LEGO X-Wing before the line started? It’s 100% pure geeky awesomeness.

Q. And to go with that, your three favourite sets (any theme)?

Again with the toughies! Alright, well I’m going to have to cheat a little:

#6085 Black Monarch’s Castle / #6074 Black Falcon’s Fortress

Jabba’s Sail Barge / Cloud Car

Caribbean Clipper

Hax! Hax! Admin ban him! WH! AB!

Q. The greatest LEGO related moment in history for you would be?

In my personal history? Mmm… I can think of two off the top of my head. The first would be in 2006 when I built a voidfighter for an FBTB contest– that was the official start of my MOCing as an AFOL, since before that I hadn’t really built anything outside of official sets in a decade or so. The other moment was earlier this year, when my Dardenbahst creation seemed to prolifically pop up on blogs all over the place online. I still feel like I’m a “newbie” MOCer compared to a lot of folks out there, and it’s very flattering when I hear that people actually like the stuff I’m creating. :laugh:

Q. And your moment of glory here on EB?

Well I’m still relatively new to EB, but in general I’d have to say the reception I’ve received here has been a real highlight. Glorious? Maybe not, but nice nonetheless. :wink: EB members always seem to have a good word or constructive criticism for MOCs; it’s niceto have such a collaborative environment and know the community can both build and critique.

And cause mental disorders...

Q. Speaking of EB, I would like to point out, Vassal or Count, we choose our victims guests weather they are interesting or not. On a side note, ripping of EB News is not a way to get on EB news.

Duly noted. :classic:

Nice comeback...

Q. What is your opinion on TLC's actions this year? Anything you'd like to see TLC produce?

Overall, I’m exceptionally glad that TLC is moving away from using “<insert that tiresome argument>” mega-pieces in sets (many sets from the 90s in particular are guilty of that) and focusing more on building with both basic bricks paired with new building techniques and details in models. I’ve been enthused to see the Star Wars line continue, the birth of the new Castle sets, and a stronger emphasis on “traditional” sets like the Creator line.

I think the rebirth of Castle has been relatively successful and, like recent rumblings, I’d personally love to see the comeback of a proper Pirate theme.

Q. I am going to guess you know other great builders, some of which are not here on EB, ye think you could recommend one which would be willing to be on EB news?

Some favorites off the top of my head are Olog, Arealight, Kaminoan, Lamanda2, and Legohaulic. I’d love to read more about every one of them, for sure.

Q. Am I annoying?

Only one way to find out!

NOOO! Their server won't handl-*BOOM* Nevermind...

I think their website doesn't like me... (got a Mildly annoying :tongue: )

Q. Anything you'd like to say to EB?

Yes. Skibbledegook o' farfegnugen, without a doubt.

Phartiphukborlz?

Wiquils asweep slartibartfast?

Si Senior.

*Signal Fades*

Edited by Stauder

Nice interview, as usual. :wink: It was interesting to read about Steampunkiness and the opinions about Lego sets. :thumbup:

This is our retired script-writer-turned-heckler ImperialShadows.

Haha, heckler. :tongue:

Q. Anything you'd like to say to EB?

Yes. Skibbledegook o' farfegnugen, without a doubt.[/color]

Well, that makes sense. :look: Probably actually the kind of thing I would say if I was asked that kind of question.

:skull:

You again!?

This is red-bird to heckling-fox. Do you read me?

I read you. What is the problem red-bird? Out.

We have a stalker. I repeat, we have a stalker! Out.

Return to your APC Red-bird. Come pick me up on the way. Over.

Well, that makes sense. :look: Probably actually the kind of thing I would say if I was asked that kind of question.

Any self-respecting HHGTG Fan will get the last 4 lines. I reccomend you google what I said after that.

Stauder.

You again!?

This is red-bird to heckling-fox. Do you read me?

I read you. What is the problem red-bird? Out.

We have a stalker. I repeat, we have a stalker! Out.

Return to your APC Red-bird. Come pick me up on the way. Over.

Aack, now I'm a stalker am I? :laugh: Well, nobody else was commenting on it, sorry if I was offending you. :tongue:

Any self-respecting HHGTG Fan will get the last 4 lines. I reccomend you google what I said after that.

Reading the name Slartibartfast I had a suspicion. :wink: I have read a few of the sequels to HHGTTG but not all of the actual first book... :sceptic:

Aack, now I'm a stalker am I? :laugh: Well, nobody else was commenting on it, sorry if I was offending you. :tongue:

Reading the name Slartibartfast I had a suspicion. :wink: I have read a few of the sequels to HHGTTG but not all of the actual first book... :sceptic:

Look it up on Wikipedia and read the trivia section.

Staudie.

Look it up on Wikipedia and read the trivia section.

I knew about the Phartiphukborlz thing, I just wondered about the rest... :tongue:

Gubberish.

That's what I thought too. :tongue:

Edited by Shoc

I would be glad if somone exept you posted here :tongue: but now no one will, on purpose...\

Staudie. :tongue:

I would be glad if somone exept you posted here :tongue: but now no one will, on purpose...

They're all scared of Shoc and his smartass stalkerish ways... :tongue::sceptic:

Wow, lots of "s" alliteration used there...

I would be glad if somone exept you posted here :tongue: but now no one will, on purpose...\

/post'd!

m19

Wow, another good review! Good job Stauder! :thumbup: Review somebody that is active in the Star Wars forums. :yoda: That would be sweet! :sweet:

P.S. I posted! :tongue:

Lego12

Q. Speaking of EB, I would like to point out, Vassal or Count, we choose our victims guests weather they are interesting or not. On a side note, ripping of EB News is not a way to get on EB news.

Duly noted. :classic:

Nice comeback...

By you saying that they are now on EB news (in a way). :tongue:

Very interesting interview, I love your Steampunk mocs Morgan19, it really shows that beginner mocers can make great stuff.

Good job guys. :thumbup:

Another great interview! Morgan, it's nice to know more about you in this interview. :sweet:

You are clearly those backlogs real fast, aren't you? You helped Shadows to input his? :tongue:

Another great interview, these are coming in so fast now it's hard to keep up with! :grin: It's missing some small flare at the moment, what is that?

Um, where's ImperialShadows?

Oh he's on my show at the moment, obviously why he's not doing these right now. No, I was think of something else.

Where you? He's the only flare I can think of.

I know what it is! Pictures! These have been all radio broadcasts, where are the cool pictures?

Well, we did steal their camera men...

Oh yeah. Um, never mind then. :grin:

Nice interview Staudie, and with someone I've always wanted to know a bit more about. That was a nice insightful read. Oh, and some great choices for your favourite sets there, Morgan19. :thumbup:

I would love to see some more of your crazy photography though, that was always a highlight for me. And when are you getting Shadows back? I know he's been having computer troubles, so lets all cry out into the wilderness together to let him know that we can't wait for him to return.

We miss you IS!!

Well that was a bit of an anti climax. No echo or anything. Oh well. The point is, I for one am looking forward to having the whole team back. (Although you've been doing well with the editing, excellent work indeed). Now, I've got to go play a quick game with Ragnir, or he'll get grumpy. We don't want that, do we?

If I had to review this, I'd say it definitely keeps improving. It's funny, the heckling is starting to look more and more like me, though still a bit too Staudie-random at times.

The interview? Oh, I never read those things. :hmpf_bad:

As for you, Draggy, I'm locked in some damn castle while a mad scientist crazy wizard tries to poison all of us. :angry:

If I had to review this, I'd say it definitely keeps improving. It's funny, the heckling is starting to look more and more like me, though still a bit too Staudie-random at times.

The interview? Oh, I never read those things. :hmpf_bad:

As for you, Draggy, I'm locked in some damn castle while a mad scientist crazy wizard tries to poison all of us. :angry:

Nice to see you too Shadows. :tongue:

Draggy now is it? :angry: Oh no we can't have that, not at all. I won't stand for it!

Well what are you going to do about it then?

You keep out of this Majiko! Your the one he's complaining about!

Me? Oh no, it can't me. I think he was referring to you.

You mean me?

Well, same difference.

Your confusing me now, shut up, both of you.

Someone's a little tetchy about something. Oh right, sorry. :blush:

Yes, be a little more sympathetic, I'm going through a difficult time.

That doesn't excuse rudeness.

I'm the one being rude? Your such a hipocrite. And so are you Majiko for that matter. Why I should...

The bickering which everyone was becoming much to familiar with gradually faded out as attention shifted back to more important things, such as Mystery Castle...