Sign in to follow this  
lego townie

Ingenious MOCs of the Olympic games in Beijing

Olympic game venues

I think the new Olympic Stadium in Beijing is for track and field instead of soccer. Minor quibble aside, I'm still VERY impressed by the way they replicate the birds' nest design. Supposedly it took seven builders, a month's worth of spare time, and over 300,000 bricks to build the entire Olympic village MOC. Enjoy.

This is very nice indeed!! Are there also larger pics avalible?

Nice find!

As the olympic games will start today I thought this thread needed a bit more attention.

So here are some pics (frontpage anyone? :wink:):

The birdsnest:

2008-0711-hklug_20.jpg

2008-0713-hklug_175.jpg

The water cube:

watercube.jpg

(yes, it´s completely illuminated!) :wub:

And there is so much more to see! :cry_happy:

It´s made by a (the?) Hong Kong Lego Users Group and it´s plain brilliant. I´m missing words for all the great details they added and the accuracy to the real buildings.

Check out the complete BS-folder (in the first post) with pics of the work in progress.

Do it now! : lough:

And they have girls who present the works like in those cars shows. This event seemed quite big. I'm not that impressed technically speaking by the stadium, though.

The pool is fantastic, they just made an awesome job with the lights

So here are some pics (frontpage anyone? :wink:):

Subtle. :tongue: I'll frontpage it tomorrow; we only just frontpaged another MOC today. :wink: It is beautifully done.

:thumbup: OMG!!! I have no words enough to describe these MOCs!!

Unbelievable......they're soooooo freaking great!!! :wub:

These are incredible. I think the stadium is great, but the water cube is truly breath taking.

Did anyone else see the Ancient Greek photo with the Storm Trooper slave drivers? :tongue:

This is amazing. I like the detail a lot! You all have done very well building this. I also like how all the little lego people are in line to enter the stadium and are sitting down in the stadium and watching the center.

Great Job

LegoKing

Wow, that's an awesome MOC of the Stadium and Swimming Cube! :oh:

I don't really like the architecture of the real stadium, but any building looks good in Lego form! :thumbup:

Hi all. I am from Hong Kong. To celebrate the 2008 Beijing Olympics, a team of HKLUG members made those creations in the form of a small town and an exhibition of such is being held in a big shopping mall.

In the link below you can see many more photos of those creations, spread in different pages of the thread:

Beijing Olympic 2008 LEGO creation exhibition in Hong Kong

Enjoy!

Edited by Alywin

Thanks Alywin for the information! :cry_happy:

Hi,

The entire Olympic City was designed and built by a group of AFOLs in HongKong. In fact, we have just recently formed HKLUG so as to link up with other AFOLs in the world.

I am one of the members in HKLUG and responsible for the design of the Swimming Cube. I am happy to know that you like my design and the lighting effects!

The following photo shows the interior structure of the Swimming Cube. Specifically the decks for the observers must be designed strong enough to support the top plate of the Swimming Cube as there is no more supporting that could be built on top of the swimming pools.

2008-0613-hklug_026.jpg

Among all photos we have taken, we like the followings the most:

2008-0622-hklug_42.jpg

2008-0614-hklug_51.jpg

These photos were taken in a completely dark workshop.

Apart from more photos to show the interior structure of the Swimming Cube as you may find below:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=333004

there are also some interesting figures about constructing the Swimming Cube to share with all of you:

Just for the Swimming Cube:

Work Period: 4/6 - 11/7 (total 37 days)

Total Work Days: 19 days

Total Work Hours: 116 hours (417600 seconds) - it is very tired to build models after work...

Size: 148 bricks x 148 bricks x 32 bricks (height)

Amout of Bricks Used: > 50000 pcs

The most number of bricks in a single lot: 16000 pcs (1x2 trans-dark-blue brick)

Building Speed: 50000pcs / 417600seconds = 0.12pcs/sec (Almost need to put in one brick per 8 seconds, including to think and design)

Weight: ~ 80pounds in rough estimation

Light tube: 32 pcs in various sizes

Total power consumption for lighting: ~ 300 Watts

Minifigs within swimming cube: >600 pcs

Thank you! :cry_happy:

Vincent

Edited by Vincent Cheung

Wow.

That cube MOC is absolutely incredible!

I never really liked the stadium and while the lego version is a nice copy, it is still ugly imo.

The entire Olympic City was designed and built by a group of AFOLs in HongKong. In fact, we have just recently formed HKLUG so as to link up with other AFOLs in the world.

I am one of the members in HKLUG and responsible for the design of the Swimming Cube. I am happy to know that you like my design and the lighting effects!

Outstanding team effort demostrated by HKLUG! :thumbup:

I had saw the pictures and the events posted by chiukeung. It's simply outstanding! The amount of work contributed into this event is really unbelievable. Furthermore, you guys are featured in your local chinese papers as well. :thumbup:

Wish I could visit Hong Kong during the event at Grand Century Plaza. Hope to see it myself one day when you have such events in the near future. Nevertheless, I encouraged you guys to share more of your events with us too. :wink:

Hi, Vincent. You are also here in this forum.

I really think the creations of you and other HKLUG members are worth presenting to all LEGO fans, and of course including those in Eurobricks Forums. You guys are really honor of HK LEGO fans!

Keep the good work and thanks for the effort! :laugh::laugh:

:oh: ....... Wow...... Thats amazing, its so intricate and beautiful!!!! :wub: Almost as good as the real thing! Almost. :wink:

Hey all,

The Daily Mail and Mail Online have published photos showing the Hong Kong Lego User Group's awesome model of the Beijing Olympics. It's a huge, detailed display that includes the Bird's Nest stadium and Water Cube aqua centre...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10...ick-blocks.html

Take a look when you've got a moment :wink:

Must own it. Must own it. Must own it.

If they sell it, they would probably be one of the richest people in the world.

4,500 Lego people

A.It's minifigs.

B.Thats alot.

Take a look when you've got a moment :wink:

Thanks for the update. I've merged your topic with the main one.