Sign in to follow this  
Batbrick

7411 Tygurah's Roar Review

indexed.gif

Hello EB, and welcome to "I couldn't be bothered including sigfig's" reviews! :grin:

Today I'll be reviewing the awesome Adventurers set Tygurah's Roar of the Orient Expedition line, subtheme India. I picked this set up with the spiderman two dock in Devonport, and I can't say I regret it. It is a fantastic little set with wonderful parts for mocing. Here is a picture of the box, I always loved the Adventurers art:

p1230690.jpg

The back. I really miss the age of alternate models, and these look fantastic, I might build them. The throne on the right is especially cool, I prefer these far above technic shooters and flick fire missiles:

p1230691.jpg

Instruction booklet, I really love the map art, and the way the booklet appears as a map:

p1230692.jpg

And included within is this hilarious and awesome comic, I really enjoyed it:

p1230693.jpg

p1230694.jpg

p1230695.jpg

p1230696.jpg

Back of the instruction booklet, again with wonderful art! :wub:

p1230697.jpg

The set also includes a cool playing card. Since this is my first intact, boxed Orient Expedition set this is my first card, so I win everytime I guess. Still, I love that these sets have everything, showing with all TLC's new design, they really yet have to capture the true heart of these kind of sets again :cry_happy:

p1230699.jpg

It also comes with a nice foldout showing the card game once one has collected all sets, which is neat. Someday...

p1230700.jpg

The back ads were a little disappointing to me because I am not interested in racers and already have the entire series of old StarWars minis. Oh well, still very nice:

p1230701.jpg

Now finally onto the set:

First up, the figs. This set comes with the common but always adorable Dr.Killroy, and beast Tygurah. Killroy comes also with the Orient Expedition print which is new to me, so I"m glad with that. Tygurah and the other maxifigs I feel are very underrated, as they certainly suit as large guardians and look very intimidating. I for one really like them, what do you think?

p1230672.jpg

Tygurah has a tail also, and his body is a single piece:

p1230673.jpg

It also means he comes with some of those very rare dark orange colour pieces, which is cool. Overall I'm very happy to have him and he looks wonderful on display:

p1230674.jpg

Now, the set itself. I like how it is a sort of raised, open mini temple, like a preserved ruin for Tygurah. It looks very neat and well coloured to the India theme:

p1230676.jpg

Here is the jewel, not nearly the coolest part of this set, but still welcome, one can never have too many diamonds *starts singing the 007 Diamonds are Forever tune* :laugh:

As you can see on the dark blue 1x2 one studded tiles, this is where Tygurah stands:

p1230677.jpg

And doesn't he look intimidating? The only gripe I have is his lack of eyes. The snake does come with the set:

p1230678.jpg

I just have to point out that this is one of the coolest printed pieces ever! I love it so much, I will definitely use it for my Indy/Adventurer display. The scimitars are extremely welcome to me as well, for these are the first I have of these. I have heard complaints of them being oversized, and while this is true, in certain minifigs (the ones who look like they could control such a weapon) it looks rather good. I'll definitely give one to a Ra's Al Ghul fig I'm making:

p1230679.jpg

More wonderful dark orange in the form of these pillars. TheBrickster, did you get yours from this and the Indian temple set? Anyway, these are fantastic and like almost every piece of this set it will find a use in my display:

p1230680.jpg

Now onto the cool mechanism. What I love about this is that unlike new sets the play feature does not detract from the overall model. You might be able to see the second platform in this shot which can be pulled out by the second lower yellow plate. Great inclusion of the ladder too:

p1230681.jpg

By pulling it out you subject Tygurah to a rather lame death that makes him fall not even 45 degrees forward. Still, using a normal minifig it works fine:

p1230683.jpg

But wait! Keep pulling, and there is the cool effect of each individual wood plank falling one by one closer to our protagonist:

p1230684.jpg

Oh he's down! :oh3:

p1230686.jpg

The whole thing can eventually be removed. I must say I love the poor doctor's death pose in this pic. All in all it is one of my favourite play features in a set I've seen, pulling it out fast is really fun for any person because it just works so perfectly and smoothly:

p1230687.jpg

Another view of this awesome set:

p1230688.jpg

And I must say it is a gold mine of pieces. Here they are, two of those great leave pieces, two scimitars, two flames (can never have enough of those), a snake, a magnifying glass, four dark orange pillars, a snake, a skull (another thing you can never have enough of), a diamond, an old brown ladder and one of the coolest printed pieces ever:

p1230689.jpg

Design: 4/5 - A superb mini temple with wonderful styling, and all the wonderful pieces fulfill it, not detract it. It is a tad flimsy at the back though.

Build: 5/5 - i built this in a travelling car back to Launceston and still had fun, and when I finished it back home I loved adding the brown tiles.

Playability: 5/5 - The only thing stopping you from using that play feature for hours is the necessity to keep placing the brown tiles again! :laugh:

Minifigs: 4/5 - I personally think they are wonderful, but I understand some won't like Tygurah.

Pieces: 5/5 - I would've bought two if there was another there, so many wonderful pieces.

Price: 5/5 - A perect price for a near perfect set.

Overall: 28/30 A set that is a MUST HAVE for those who see it and a higlhy recommended for those that haven't, it really is a set just a notch below perfection.

thanks for reading my review.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

Edited by WhiteFang
This review is added to the index.

I love this set I got it recently too. I wish they brought the theme back :classic: + excellent review

Thanks for the great review! I wondered what trgurah looked like under his main printed plate.

i loved orient expidition i wish i had a tardis to get them all :classic:

i didnt manage to get any of the india ones but i got a few of the mountain ones, i got the yeti which i guess is like tygrah and i think they were cool as well.

i liked your commet about flick fire missles

if TLC needs set deisgners they should hire us basiclly :wink:

Nice review Batbrick. I picked up the "monster adventurer sets" for around $5.00 at a Kay Bee discount store a year or two after they were retired. I like Tygurah's Roar, esp. the sliding plate trap. While many don't like the monsters, I think for a smaller audience, they're great! (not to make a Tony the Tiger joke/pun). I also like how you included pictures of the comic. This was a neat little set with some good pieces, esp. for building Casablanca-style or Indian MOCs.

Great review. Tygurah says, "Rrrrrrrrrrrrooooooaaaaarrrrrrr!" :classic:

Thanks for such a great review, Batbrick! ) :classic:

That is one of the few Adventurers sets that I do not own, but that review made me start thinking about ordering it.... :hmpf::tongue:

Good day, gentlemen! ) :sweet:

Thanks for the excellent review! Very nice set, perfect, the only way it could have been improved would be to add something below the traps. And btw, Tygurah's "lame death" is him leaning forward through the bushes. It's a neat added effect, but in no way does it mean he's "dying". :tongue:

Lovely review, and if you do get all the cards, have a "Johnny Thunder V. Indiana jones: Race to the finish!" match. until then, i have coffee to drink and a apple IIGS to wait on.

Edited by maiq the liar

Great review of a classic set. :thumbup:

I got all of the India and Nepal sets from this theme, and this was one of my favorite. I just love the idea of a "monster trap set," with a new trap and monster in each one. The piece selection is also awesome, and I too think that Tyguar is a bit underated. :classic:

Overall, Orient Expedition and Adventurers in general were a light in the darkness of 1997-2004, which we all know as the dark ages. :wink:

Do you know Batbrick, you have make me feel regret for passing out this set at a consigment store recently? I should have gotten this set which is no longer in production. After reading your review, you gave me good insight. I thought this was a simple set, and I seriously don't really like Tygurah which I thought was the main attraction. Although, it was the main attraction, but looking at that playset (Mini-Temple) had changed my mind. In fact, I think it can be a very good potential set for parts and playing. :sweet:

Thanks for the review, Batbrick. :thumbup:

My opinion of this set went up so much when I found a few for $2 NZ each... Great source of pieces!

Thanks for the review and God Bless,

Nathan

Thanks for the review, this would be my favourite of the three monster sets. Not only does it have a great playability function, but it looks really nice too.

As with all of the printed Indian pieces, the one in this set is beautiful, very colourful and detailed. Despite being oversized, i love the scimitars, when used correctly they look incredibly bad-megabloks, especially the dark grey version. As shown in Scorpion Palace, they work very well as a halberd when attached to a pole. The set comes with a great number of useful pieces too, including a number of dark blue and dark orange pieces, as well as the brown 4x1 tiles. What's more, you can pick these up really cheap, I managed to buy all three of the Orient monster sets MISB for around US$20 :sweet:

Thanks again, Batbrick :thumbup:

My opinion of this set went up so much when I found a few for $2 NZ each... Great source of pieces!

Thanks for the review and God Bless,

Nathan

You're kidding! That's 1/5th of Crossbow Attack each! Wow!

Anywho, another awesome review, Batbrick! Tygurah was my favourite of the monsters, as he was orange, and a giant tiger. :laugh: Another thing I liked about these sets is that each one comes with weapons for the monsters, Tygurah has the 2 scimitars, Yeti has 2 clubs, and Jun-Chi has 2 glaives. These sorts of play features, the falling tiles and the trap-doors, they should be brought back! I agree, they're much better than the flick-fire missiles. :hmph: I had a lot of fun with this set at dragonator's. :laugh: Thanks again!

Oh yes, I was fine with not receiving my bar of soap from the Doc Ock review, but damnit, where's my bacon!! :angry: :angry:

:tongue:

~Peace

i got this when it came out, and it was a great set. my only - is that the scimatars look wierd on yellow hands. still, great playability and and alternite models. :wub:

jifel

I got thi set for a birthday presie about 4 years ago and it is great :wub: At first I thought the tiger was a bear :blush:

Hmm speaking of alternate models I havnt done one for aaaages..I shall do one on this soon being that I have finally done my exams and it's holidays soob :thumbup:

oh and umm great review Batbrick.. :tongue:

i wish i could get some of these old sets, they look so great! this set in particular looks like it has very many useful pieces, mosty of which i still need. anyways, great review! that bridge crumbling feature looks like it could be used to make part of Indy ToD bridge. Of course, i have to complain about the tiger fig. Its all one <insert that tiresome argument> part (by that i mean the head, body and tail) and i dont expect those legs to come in handy. But i guess its worth it for the dark orange pieces... the swords look awesome too, great fir arabian knights. and the diamond... i dont have a yellow one yet... oh bricklink, here i come!!

I know I'm a bit late, but I just had to see this set review. I had it ages ago, but lost most of the pieces. I love the tiger, but the only parts I have are the head/body and the tail. Thanks for the review!