Sign in to follow this  
BerndDasBrot

[REVIEW] 8829 - Dune Blaster

Hi!

This is my forth (old-school) technic set review!

Since blakbird pointed out that all my technic reviews are red, I chose a yellow dune blaster for today!

p1080464kleinmod.jpg

just kidding. this set is red as it should be! (Don't worry my next reviews will be yellow and black... uhhh forshadowing... ;-) )

p1080464klein.jpg

I will start with some facts!

277 elements and released in 1994

that's enough.

#1: the box:

p1080443klein.jpg

p1080445klein.jpg

p1080446klein.jpg

p1080447klein.jpg

#2: the parts:

p1080450klein.jpg

#3: building instructions and catalogues:

Wow! No folds, no wear marks - simply: *wub*

p1080448klein.jpg

p1080449klein.jpg

"Was lesen coole Kids?" - "KLICK! Das super Magazin fuer coole Kids!" (How obvious...)

#4: building:

No differential.

p1080451klein.jpg

I really love the way the 1x8 Technic Bricks on the sides will be positioned later.

p1080452klein.jpg

p1080453klein.jpg

p1080454klein.jpg

Fun fact: the engine contains no 2L-Technic Axle.

p1080455klein.jpg

p1080456klein.jpg

...and finished. A real quick build.

p1080457klein.jpg

#5: spare parts:

...for the alternate model. The yellow Technic Handle should be from 8412. Maybe a bonus feature from the seller!

p1080461klein.jpg

#6: random shots:

p1080466klein.jpg

p1080468klein.jpg

p1080469klein.jpg

p1080471klein.jpg

p1080473klein.jpg

p1080475klein.jpg

p1080476klein.jpg

p1080478klein.jpg

#7: final thoughts:

This is my second 8829 and I also noticed that the engine turns very hard.

The alternate model is really (sorry to all those of you who like it) crappy.

I mean- a nice idea, but not with this wheels! :-|

Anyway: a really beautiful Technic-set! *reminiscing* (this word exists, does it?)

thanks for viewing the pictures, I hope you enjoyed it!

Please comment if you want to!

Edited by BerndDasBrot

I don't own the 8296, but what I can see from the pictures, I would say that 8296 is very similar to 8829.

The only things that are different ist that 8296 is studless and features a steering wheel for the seat.

But 8829 has got bigger wheels... >:-)

It also would have been nice, if the wheels from 8296 could have the same tread.

A very good review with fine and informative pictures, and a really nice set, thanks, BerndDasBrot. *sweet*

Hmm, I really wish that TLC would make some steerable cars within the System line too....

Hi!

This is my forth (old-school) technic set review!

Since blakbird pointed out that all my technic reviews are red, I chose a yellow dune blaster for today!

This is my second 8829 and I also noticed that the engine turns very hard.

The alternate model is really (sorry to all those of you who like it) crappy.

I mean- a nice idea, but not with this wheels! :-|

Anyway: a really beautiful Technic-set! *reminiscing* (this word exists, does it?)

thanks for viewing the pictures, I hope you enjoyed it!

Please comment if you want to!

A great set review, as always. Nice try making a review of a set that was not red. It almost worked! Maybe next time. *sweet*

One thing I noticed is that a bunch of your pictures are missing the beam that goes over the left hand wheel as a fender. Like this picture:

p1080476klein.jpg

What kind of camera do you use? The pictures have very good depth of field, meaning that both the foreground and the background are in good focus. This is usually hard to do without a very small aperture.

Yes, "reminiscing" is a word. It means to fondly remember the past.

I also noticed that the engine was sticky. Set 8408 has the same problem. It took me forever to figure out what the problem was. If you take the engine out of the model, it turns nice and smooth. Then when you put it back in, it works terrible. It turns out the key is that, in the back, there is an 8 tooth spur gear and a 24 tooth crown gear used as a spur. If you look at Technica, you will see that there are two different crown gears. One of them works well mated with an 8 tooth on parallel axles, and the other one doesn't. The difference is only supposed to be longer teeth, so it really should not matter, but it does. If your set works bad, try switching the crown gear to one of the other variety. Worked for me.

Eric

That looks like a very nice set! :-) In your opinion, how does it compare to the current Dune Buggy?

-Toa Of Justice

IMHO, 8829 is much better than 8296. First, 8829 is a lot bigger. I really like the huge rear balloon tires. They both have rack and pinion steering, and they both have trailing arm rear suspension with a V-2 engine. I think the body on 8829 is a little more well done. For 8296, I think the alternate tractor model is much better.

For more comparisons, see Technicopedia.

Eric

One thing I noticed is that a bunch of your pictures are missing the beam that goes over the left hand wheel as a fender.

oh no. I forgot to put it back. I wanted to make a photo with this beam alone... 8-|

What kind of camera do you use? The pictures have very good depth of field, meaning that both the foreground and the background are in good focus. This is usually hard to do without a very small aperture.

The camera belongs to my dad. it's a panasonic lumix dmc-fz30eg:

158863.jpg

One of them works well mated with an 8 tooth on parallel axles, and the other one doesn't. The difference is only supposed to be longer teeth, so it really should not matter, but it does. If your set works bad, try switching the crown gear to one of the other variety. Worked for me.

Wow! you're right! Never thought of that! thanks!

I made a SCAN (!) of those two gears:

You can notice the longer teeth (first pic).

toothblubb.jpg

Edited by BerndDasBrot

IMHO, 8829 is much better than 8296. First, 8829 is a lot bigger. I really like the huge rear balloon tires. They both have rack and pinion steering, and they both have trailing arm rear suspension with a V-2 engine. I think the body on 8829 is a little more well done. For 8296, I think the alternate tractor model is much better.

For more comparisons, see Technicopedia.

Eric

Wow! 8-� Thanks for that cool link, Blakbird! X-D I agree that 8829's body is better. I especially like 8829's rear spoiler and its angled side beams. :-)

-Toa Of Justice

Hello All

Apologize for digging out a such old post. Recently I got a bag of Lego Technic parts where there have been mixed three sets: 8858, 8829 and 8235

The resurrection of 8858 has been described by me in a separate post.

Going back to the Dune Buggy – when I saw it for the first time back in 1994 I did not like it, as I was always big fan of 8840 (which I consider to the day the best looking Buggy) and set 8829 looked to me ugly.

So there were those all parts in the bag… then I though why not build it ? And I started to do it.

When I finished I was very surprised how the final look of this set is! Really taking my words back. Unfortunately in the bag there were missing some parts and I could not rebuild the back spoiler.

So I made some changes to it and make it from spare parts that I have and it came out acceptable. I also added some additional parts such as “fake” steering wheel, “Rally” logo, antennas.

I have also reverse mounting of the rear tires – why Lego did them like that I never know – as I think they look better this way.

Set: well the review has been already made by owner of this post so I will only add few things into it.

Engine – V2 (aired cooled?) is driven by 4 gears -> from the single wheel (no differential as in 8840) using two old school z14 tooth bevel , then by z24 tooth crown and z8 tooth type 1.

Actually the (as in most old sets) the pistons are moving very fast (not as in current sets) and smooths – I needed to extra clean all engine parts as there was a lot friction.

Suspension – set has “engine bay” working using two old gray shock absorbers 6,5l – the movement is not big but works very nice, better then in 8840 in my opinion.

Steering – this is a bit odd as there is no direct connection to HoG as in most old sets, but first the gear rack is moved by z8 then two z14 tooth where reverse movement is taking place. Later connection of two old school z14 tooth bevel goes to HoG

Details – this is the most that I like in this set, specially how the use of axle pin connector perpendicular and 1x10 bricks with 3x3 cut corners and plate 1x5 toothed ends 2 studs with center axle hole are making the body shape – is just wonder.

Tires – the balloon rear are pretty nice the front is a new version of those that were in 8840.

What I do not like:

1. Missing of Technic Figure (8840 had it.)

2. no steering wheel in the original set

3. no differential – but having in mind that Lego has introduce 24-12 teeth would be difficult to build the transmission in such small space where the engine is.

I will shortly upload new pictures and post them here later on .

Over all – I think it is worth buying it as it is very payable ! Actually very payable and runs smoothly , the steering, suspension – perfect

Thank you and regards

Pictures of my restored set 8829 (I was almost 96% complete, and for missing parts I add of my own) The seat is black and not blue (as one was missing in my 8858) the spoiler is different, steering wheel added (not connected to wheels) and some additional items to make it look better) this is how I change the tire orientation 8829_1.jpg

The "new" rear spoiler:

8829_2.jpg

I still need to "clean" front rims

8829_4.jpg

Edited by AOW

WOW! This buggy was my very first LEGO set. I like this review - it remembered my childhood. I also liked its body with those 8 studs long bricks on sides. I can also remember trying to build engine in such way that it works smooth without success. Anyway I think its "studless version" - set 8048 is much better.