Sign in to follow this  
WetWired

Help Required (Batmobile in Digital Designer)

Hi all, I'm a new user. I've just been getting back into lego lately after a 15 year hiatus and I've been playing with the lego digital designer, I've managed to create my own version of the batmobile tumbler, I'm tempted to buy it but I'm concerned about how it will work in reality. I'm wondering if anyone out there with a large collection of pieces (mine are quite old and I don't have most of the new ones) would care to take a look at my design (I'd send you the lxf file) and try building it, I don't mind if the colours don't match. I just want to see if it will be solid and won't fall apart :)

Here's a quick image of what I built (I've actually made some slight modifications since I took this shot but it's close enough)

Tumbler_Final.jpg

Thanks

Edited by WetWired

Just by looking at the front wheels I can tell you that they aren't attached to anything, so there's a problem. It looks great, but I am not sure about whether it will funtion as you hope it will.

Welcome to Eurobricks. Be sure to introduce yourself in the proper forum so we can get to know you.

Welcome to Eurobricks! May I suggest that you introduce yourself in the Hello! My name is...-forum? :-)

Secondly, could you please scale down your pictures a bit? At the moment it completely screws up the rendering of the page, at least on my laptop ;-)

Third, to your actual question.. the front wheels could be a problem, not sure how well they are connected to the "plate 3 x 2 with hole"s on the sides, but I don't think that is sturdy enough, however, if you add something in the middle to connect them to it should work out okay. As I haven't seen the back of the car I'm afraid I don't have more to add, and I don't have the necessary pieces to build this either :-/

They're attached to the outside via a "connector peg with knob" as it's described in the digital designer

Pic resized, sorry about that

Edited by WetWired

They're attached to the outside via a "connector peg with knob" as it's described in the digital designer

Even with that, it dosen't seem like the front wheels would stay on real well.

hence why I was looking for someone to give it a try, it's not meant to be played with or anything, as long as it' sits without falling apart

Hey Wetwired, I think your moc looks pretty sweet, and I'm tempted to give it a go in real bricks. It may take me a couple of weeks to put it together though. Email me the lxf if you want.

Edited by PaulC

That looks really awesome.

I'd love to take a look at how its made.

I probably dont have the real bricks to try it, but I'm a fairly good judge of strength.

At first glance as mentioned, the front wheels cant take the weight with those halfpin connectors -single stud will just pop off.

You could at first thought... double up that plate with hole in it, then use a fullpin. This requires some reorganization tho...

Upload the LDD file and post a link?

I wouldnt mind editing that and sending you a copy back to see the suggested changes...

I've ordered the parts from bricklink, I've got most of the parts, I'm just waiting on the hubs, rollcage and black flags to finish it, it's sitting in front of me now 95% complete.

I'll upload the lxf tonight, however I have made modifications to it that won't show up in LDD, since I could use more pieces through bricklink than what's available in LDD, but it was mainly small modifications such as replacing 2 1x4 black tiles with 1 1x8 black tile, replacing most of the 1x2 grills with 1x2 black tiles (which aren't available in LDD) I've used a better steering wheel and using printed tiles in the cockpit rather than slopes.

I've done a quick test with similar pieces and the front wheels should hold for mild use (sitting no my desk and pushing back and forth hehe) but they I don't think they'll hold up to weight pushed down on them though, but it's not really for play so I don't mind :)

Oh and my batman minifig fits inside perfectly, I was very happy with how it well it fit.

Once the final parts have arrived I'll take some nice photos and post them here.

I'd love to actually see the tan and brown camo version from the movie before it was painted black, I may even order the parts myself, but if someone else has the parts I'd love to see a photo.

There's more screenshots of it in LDD here if anyone wants to see them, just try and picture it without all the grills and flat tiles instead

http://www.potatoz.net/images/Lego/Tumbler_01.jpg

http://www.potatoz.net/images/Lego/Tumbler_02.jpg

http://www.potatoz.net/images/Lego/Tumbler_03.jpg

http://www.potatoz.net/images/Lego/Tumbler_04.jpg

http://www.potatoz.net/images/Lego/Tumbler_05.jpg

err... are those rear wheels new in LDD? I cannot remember them being so big.