Sign in to follow this  
Shadows

EB News Presents: Norro

The actual title of this is: EB News Presents: Norro, Not to be confused with that other guy who should have his own LEGO theme. Think that would fit? Not quite. >:-(

Welcome to another exciting episode of EB News Presents! I'm your host this evening, imperialshadows, our occasionally present reporter Staudie actually made it in to work this time, though that shirt he's wearing is just awful, and we're fortunate to have Norro as our special guest!

Staudie!

*Stauder jumps, surprised* What???

Did you have another nice week off?

I told you, someone had my tank towed.

Oh yes, that old excuse. The dog ate your microphone, the clock didn't go off, I've heard them all. Well, whatever the case, how are you doing this evening?

Oh I'm ...

*interrupts* Enough about you, let's get started with our guest!

Grrr...

Q. So, Norro, Would you mind explaining your name and Sigfig? Its a obvious parody of Zorro, but why?

A. One of my younger sisters christened me "Norro" while watching a Zorro film. It is (presumably) a combination of my name (Nathan) and Zorro...

The new sig-fig will play host to my forthcoming web site. Which should allow me to develop my lego hobby to even greater heights. When I can find some time...

Have I ever mentioned just how much I'd love a Zorro theme in LEGO? It'd be a lovely excuse to bring back part of Pirates and part of Wild West and would make me very happy. *wub*

You've mentioned it 17 times before.

You know what else I've mentioned 17 times before? *shakes his sword at Stauder*

Moving on! X-O

Q. What got you into lego? How did you find EB?

A. Only toy I've ever had, ask anyone who's ever known me. When I was just beginning to think I was too old but hadn't actually stopped buying or building, I discovered Lugnet and the rest is history.

I found EB as a refreshingly witty online lego hangout which lacked a lot of the encroaching Political Correctness which I've always felt is a real creativity choker.

Q. What are your 3 favourite sets?

A.

6066 (The one, the only)

6175 (Brilliant build, playability, pieces, and price point)

6755 (Just fun in a box)

6066! We have a winner!

Q. Favourite theme?

A. And they told me you were a tough interviewer...

CASTLE!

The last person to claim Staudie was tough was a cannibal he was trying to interview ...

Q. The best lego related IRL moment?

A. Discovering one other fan here...

A good reporter would ask who that is. Let's see what Stauder does...

Q. And the best EB related moment?

A. "Crouching Tiger Hidden Mayor" contributing Hobbes sig/title

Q. How is the Irish Lug comeing along? We hadnt had news about it. Any words you'd like to spread about it?

A. I've dropped the ball to be honest after a disappointing initial response. I'll try again but it may have to start out as drinks for three...

Q. Mustard or Ketchup?

A. Ketchup... who eats mustard?

I won't name names, but it starts with an S and ends with a tauder. :-|

Q. What do you think about the way TLC is going? Good? Bad? Megablock?

A. Confused, some nice sets, some good ideas, free falling quality, lack of availability, colour consistency, and bley....

I haven't made up my own mind...

Q. Do you have any mocs or vigs you'd like to show us?

A. I'm currently working on the third installment of my MOCtale series (The Epic Beginning...) but haven't published the second one due to editing hold ups and the need for a BrickShelf alternative...

Q. So you are our castle expert, how did that come along? I mean did you just go round rating castle mocs?

A. No, I wouldn't rate someone else's MOC... Jipay generously gave me the title after I built the Entrance to the Caves.

Q. What would you say is the best castle moc you've seen so far?

A. Most of Jojo's work has an amazing depth to it. Unfortunately he is a very infrequent visitor here.

Q. Am I annoying?

A. What rating were you trying to keep this at? ;-) Seriously... no I won't lie... X-D

We all know the answer to this one anyway...

Q. Who should we interview?

A. Has Glyman been done?

Not yet. Gylman either. ;-)

Well, that was certainly an interesting interview, thanks for joining us Norro! *y*

Oh, it's been my pleasure. Most of it, at least. :-/

Was something wrong?

It's just that shirt he's wearing, it's hurting my eyes. :-X

You know, I have a sword over here if you'd like to go all Zorro on it.

Really? May I? *sweet*

I insist.

Hey! HEY! HELP! HEEEELP! *Stauder runs around the studio, trying to evade the lightning fast swordwork of Norro*

Stand still, you're not being polite to our guest ...

*hilarity ensues as the image fades*

Q. The best lego related IRL moment?

A. Discovering one other fan here...

A good reporter would ask who that is. Let's see what Stauder does...

Who would that be?

Q. Mustard or Ketchup?

A. Ketchup... who eats mustard?

I won't name names, but it starts with an S and ends with a tauder. :-|

For once you are right :-P

Who should we interview?

A. Has Glyman been done?

Not yet. Gylman either. ;-)

And you complain about my spelling...

X-D

Overall, I think we deserve a pat on the back... *Goes off to find Glyman* :-P

Stauder

Another great interview, with a very friendly member of EB *y*

Can't wait for the next.

If Stauder can find that mysterious Glyman, that is X-D ;-)

LuxorV

If Stauder can find that mysterious Glyman, that is X-D ;-)

We are never gonna let him live that down are we? :-D :-P X-D

Stauder

Nice interview guys! :-)

No, I wouldn't rate someone else's MOC... Jipay generously gave me the title after I built the Entrance to the Caves.

Didn't you get a similar title after making Cliffton Castle?

Nice interview! I liked this one the most, the jokes were good! *y*

*sweet*

And they keep gettin better as we work our way trough!

If ye look here you'll find a sneek peek at a upcoming interview (Its underwater, FYI, there's a explenation in my second post there) !!! <- Darn you brickminer! :-P

Im glad you enyoj these, dont forget to thank the person being interviewed for his time!

Stauder

Where's the tough questions? These interviews are like cake walk. I want to see some hard, tear-jerking, gut wrenching Barbara Walters-type questions.

What was the first MOC you ever dropped on the floor? How did you feel when it happened? How did you feel when you saw the first Knight's Kingdom set? How would you compare the Rainbow Knights with Classic Castle? What are your opinions of the new Castle theme?

It's all about making the interviewee think deeply and share the emotion. Make him cry!

Ask yourself, "What would Barbara Walters say"?

1. Who?

2. So much for loving care bear... More like Flesh Eating Teddy!

3. Ill make you cry!

Stauder :-P

Where's the tough questions?
What was the first MOC you ever dropped on the floor?

I can't recall dropping a specific MOC. Stepping on though... and the agony continues, one of my in progress beauties was just shattered, I'm still a little emotional, I think I fixed it up to par but...

How did you feel when it happened?

I also recall swearing to always rebuild better after a particularly nasty collapse of a childhood castle, rather than just cry and complain. I don't always live up to this though ;-)

How did you feel when you saw the first Knight's Kingdom set?

Betrayed! The appalling excuse for castle probably made the bley switch all the more traumatic. It definitely made it easy for me to boycott new lego sets in a way I can't seem to the crownies...

How would you compare the Rainbow Knights with Classic Castle?

How would you compare Megablocks to lego?

Would Megablocks even release such a line??!

What are your opinions of the new Castle theme?

I really like the crownies and the small sets are excellent value. But I do wish they would loose the skeletons. They aren't a strong balancing faction, even without my dislike of fantasy. They also allow TLC to pad out sets with half figs (skellies) rather than a few extra parts or a real fig...

That one I'm going to "no comment" on...

Oh and apologies Gylman, my tying is appalling and the spellcheck doesn't catch those kind of errors...

God Bless,

Nathan

Now that's an interview!

That one I'm going to "no comment" on...

That one was not intended for you, but rather the interviewer.

How would you compare Megablocks to lego?

Would Megablocks even release such a line??!

Sense the emotion exhibited here? This is what I'm talking about. Hard critical questions that make one think.

- thank you for your honesty Norro, and your additional time on 20/20. :-D

And no offence to our resident interview experts. ;-)

Now that's an interview

And no offence to our resident interview experts. ;-)

I agree ;-)

Our resident interviewers do a lovely scene setting biopic, like a kind eulogy. But to follow it up (and I know I'm going to regret this :-P ) feel free to ask some intense interview questions. You may not get any answers but it can't hurt to ask X-D X-D

God Bless,

Nathan

Fantastic interview, it's always great to learn more about our resident castle master *sweet*

So what attracted you to castle in the first place, rather than any other theme? Was it the first sets you were given? Some experience from childhood? Or rather some inexplicable draw? Something else entirely? 8-|

Where do you get your ideas from? Are they extensively planned out on grid paper in advance, or do you just create as you go? What's your primary inspiration?

Also, jojo's a member here? I had no idea :-D

So what attracted you to castle in the first place, rather than any other theme? Was it the first sets you were given? Some experience from childhood? Or rather some inexplicable draw? Something else entirely? 8-|

Well as long as I've loved lego, I can also remember a childhood interest in medieval and sword based history. The topography of Ireland (especially my native Ulster) also evokes the rugged feel of living in some epic, with larger than life characters... The endless rain and mist contrasting with the bright and deep greens just add to this effect.

Dunluce Castle (supposedly a great influence on C.S. Lewis and his fiction):

Castle2.jpg

The Giant's Causeway:

giants_causeway.jpg

And numerous tower houses scattered across the island. I have always loved story telling, and tales, and history always seems a much greater stage than the present or future to my mind.

A trip to see Bodiam Castle while still young cemented my love. One of the most undamaged castles in europe (it claims to be among the last built) and pre-health and safety they used to allow you to run wild throughout. Many a dream project probably dates back to that taster course for the imagination..

Where do you get your ideas from? Are they extensively planned out on grid paper in advance, or do you just create as you go? What's your primary inspiration?

I do plan every model quite extensively, though not in the way many others online seem to.

First I begin with a concept normally based on a story or emotion tied to this particular location in some way. At the end of the project I hope for that motivator to still be visible. Then I begin building mentally, starting with key elements and difficult portions. Though still not in Lego form. After this I sketch the complete design, sometimes from several angles, but I'm such a terrible fine artist, friends joke that it could be anything. Finally I build, but very rarely does it deviate from the mental plan. Often a model looks almost identical to the mental version, though almost always slightly inferior ;-)

The source of inspiration is a much harder question. I think God inspires everyone in different ways through different experiences and pleasures, mine normally relates to a story of some kind, or occasionally a particular series of scenic features....

Also, jojo's a member here? I had no idea :-D

He has at least two posts, though I did coax him ;-)

Thanks for asking and God Bless,

Nathan

I great expansive review, also helped on by the members here, inquiring more, thank you for your time in preparing this, and to Norro for taking the time to answer :-$

Witty and a pleasure to read, thanks guys.

I do plan every model quite extensively, though not in the way many others online seem to.

First I begin with a concept normally based on a story or emotion tied to this particular location in some way. At the end of the project I hope for that motivator to still be visible.

I believe it does retain the emotion. Something with your MOCs that I don't get from most others is that it's quite easy to turn it into a scene from a movie. You can hear the waterfall crashing on your entrance to the caves, the loud silence followed by intermittent echos in the cave in your entrance to the cave MOC. I think it's why I admire them so much, there's just something so real about them.

Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions :-)

I believe it does retain the emotion.

Thanks!

Norro: I've always loved your big Castle MOCs. You are a very talented builder.

What about my small ones ;-) X-D

Seriously, cheers!

God Bless,

Nathan

Wow! It's the interview that never ends! :-D Great job everyone! I have a question: Have you found a BrickShelf alternative, and if not, what do you want? If you want just a host I could offer the use of some of my server space... :-)

Great interview, imperialshadows, Stauder and The Brickster! :-D :-P And I must compliment Norro on his cave MOC, I absolutely love that one! *wub* *wub*

~Peace

I have a question: Have you found a BrickShelf alternative, and if not, what do you want?

I'm still in process. Expect to read more about this soon ;-)

Thanks for asking!

God Bless,

Nathan

I'm still in process. Expect to read more about this soon ;-)

Thanks for asking!

God Bless,

Nathan

I'll be looking! X-D