Cjd223

[WIP] Rogue One Trailer - Help Needed!

Update: Read Fourth Post!!!

Since the second week of August, I have been extremely busy lately making something that is far more advanced than anything I have ever tried before, recreating the Rogue One trailer in Lego. I am doing this fully-CG and have been putting in every little detail into the shots. However, despite my great results, it is taking a very long time to do, and to get done in a good amount of time, I need to save some.

That is where you guys come in! I am requesting help from Eurobricks members to recreate this trailer in Lego! What I would need is help creating assets for shots in LDD so that when it comes time to actually get the animation right, I can focus more on the shot composition rather than creating the Lego models, thereby helping me to finish this thing quicker. Everything other than Star Destroyers and the Death Star is minifigure-scale, EVERYTHING. This is something that I really want to maintain because one of the things that made The Lego Movie so great was that everything had the correct scaling and it helped set us into this enormous world of Lego.

I would like to state that in my time here on Eurobricks, I have met the best builders in the world, and you guys are capable of making truly special things and of helping this thing getting complete. If you would like to work on assets for a shot, or multiple shots, please PM me and we can discuss what shot/what asset(s), etc. Be aware that this does not include minifigure prints, I am covering that myself for animation reasons, this will be for assets like tables, cliffs, buildings, ships, etc. I am thankful for anyone who helps me out with this, and you will be given credit for your work in the final video.

Here are three decent-quality frames from what I have so far (The real thing is in 4K). There is a lot more done than this, but I don't want to give too much away before the trailer's release:

29036319523_91fd58c1c1_z_d.jpg

29036312053_5405743cc3_z_d.jpg

29549877452_84a311b610_z_d.jpg

Edited by Cjd223

This is an excellent idea mate and the pics look really good! I am not certain I have time to make much, but if you could provide a list of what you need in this post, builders can see what models/sets you need.

The biggest issue I think I am facing is the opening shot of Jedha, as well as the shot 46 seconds in of many rock pillars beside a U-Wing in the rain.

For Jedha I have the wall already designed but there are just so many buildings that in order to get the details all right, it would just take an enormous amount of time. This is the shot that I think having Eurobricks members help out with would result in an absolutely stunning shot, and it being the first shot of the trailer, getting it to the "stunning" level means a lot more than it does for the other shots. So if members could throw together some of those buildings in LDD, it would mean the world to this project, and heck, you'll have a new MOC (Imagine building the finished Jedha MOC :oh:).

As for the shot 46 seconds in, those pillars also take a loooong time to make right, so even just having one pillar made outside of my computer would shorten the time a lot.

Big news regarding this project:

I am now offering rewards for assets created for the Rogue One trailer. If you create either:

-a 2,000+ piece asset

-5 or more assets totaling at least 2,500 pieces

-less than five assets averaging 1000 pieces each

Then you will receive a copy or mortesv's Nebulon-B manual! That's right, the entire thing, all 1,493 pages! As another bonus, if you create either:

-a 3,500+ piece asset

-10 or more assets totaling at least 5,000 pieces

-less than 5 assets averaging 2,000 pieces each

Then you will also receive a copy of the manual for Cavegod's AT-AT! And last but not least, if you create either:

-a 10,000+ piece asset

-20 or more assets totaling at least 5,000 pieces

-less than 5 assets averaging 3,500 pieces each

You will receive a free copy of the next two manuals, which as of this point are classified, look for them to be finished around January 2017, Rogue One is my current priority, then back to manuals. All credits, even those for builders that do not reach one of the above milestones, will be posted at the end of the video. Please PM me if you are interested in this opportunity as it is a great way to obtain a manual without spending any money, as well as a chance to have a MOC of yours featured in a video that I expect will go viral.

For piece count purposes, I will be going through the LDD files and deleting any unseen/unnecessary bricks because I need to in order to lower render time. In other words, do not just throw in extra bricks and plates to try and hit a milestone more easily.

Edited by Cjd223

I would highly doubt it.

Yes I am, as I am the one who made the manuals

Edited by Cjd223

Off topic: even if you didn't make the manuals, I would see no problem for you to give them away as prizes.

The copyright would in that case be with the creators, of course, but you wouldn't be selling them, right?

So there shouldn't be a problem. It is just a thing you have and you are giving it away as a prize just like a Lego set or a medal etc.

And about the subject:

I encourage you to carry on with this. Enormous animation works rarely succeed, but when they do, they are definetly worth it.

Though, to my mind, you should be more creative about the subject. I am not personally interested in seeing yet another copy of the same trailer for that is not creative. Rather you should choose a topic of your own or about something we know about, but that we have not yet seen on the screen. E.g. how about a trailer which shows us Kyle Katarn stealing the Death Star plans as in the original story line?

If we have the chance to do it as the latter option, I would be in with that at least 10 000 bricks.

- Samppu

PM sent. I'm really interested to colaborate.

Anyway, I don't think it's fair the third reward. I think everyone who do something, even if it's no Lego-related (like helping with the edition) must be in the credits in the video.

Edited by hachiroku

Anyway, I don't think it's fair the third reward. I think everyone who do something, even if it's no Lego-related (like helping with the edition) must be in the credits in the video.

This. On-screen credit for everyone involved is standard practice.

This. On-screen credit for everyone involved is standard practice.

Take a look at the update, I updated the third reward.

Lots of LDD work has been going on lately. One thing that I really enjoy about making the small Jedha scenes is that I am now very tempted to make a MOC of a Jedha street...