SilentWolf

[COR - FB] Preservation of Food, Sm Artisan

Previously...

New buildings and enterprises are going up in Elizabethville quite often these days. New settlers need to get to Lacryma and get established before the winter season sets in. Mr. and Mrs. Henry Townsend had arrived with the group of settlers that landed on May 20th. They had been working to build a house and a business for themselves since then.

28067534343_baea86e9a0_c.jpgSAM_7499 by SilentWolf Legos, on Flickr

28577688352_795cd93746_c.jpgSAM_7502 by SilentWolf Legos, on Flickr

Mrs. Townsend had brought some unique equipment and supplies to the colony. She had realized that in a new settlement like this food could be a scarcity as the growing season comes to a close. As a lady with a green thumb, she brings knowledge of preservation of food. The common technique that she has worked with back in Eastern Halos. However, she had discovered a technique where she could preserve food without pickling. She placed vegetables or meat in a glass jar with a salt brine. The jars then have a rubber ring placed on it then a metal lid lightly screwed down. She then places the jars in a boiling pot of water. This creates a vacuum inside the glass jars creating a seal that keeps the food from going bad. She had attempted to promote this idea in Eastern Halos but the companies that already provided food for the masses didn't want to change the methods they had used for so long. Here in the frontier settlements, the need for food outweighed technique. She also has been experimenting with a sealed pot that put the jars under pressure. It had not yet been perfected but showed great promise.

Mrs. Townsend had hired one of the native women to help her in learning about the edible foods on the island and the natives methods of food preservation. Together they with the occasional help of Mr. Townsend were preserving and storing various foods for the good of the settlement. The cellar was just starting to fill up.

28651380316_7b4aee6467_z.jpgSAM_7503 by SilentWolf Legos, on Flickr

28683406325_07f832d63a_c.jpgSAM_7505 by SilentWolf Legos, on Flickr

28683405535_ab8295227c_c.jpgSAM_7507 by SilentWolf Legos, on Flickr

28651390976_5e171d61c0_c.jpgSAM_7518 by SilentWolf Legos, on Flickr

28067521333_3a46f50e97_c.jpgSAM_7511 by SilentWolf Legos, on Flickr

A close up of some of the furniture pieces.

28577682902_54acb58250_c.jpgSAM_7522 (2) by SilentWolf Legos, on Flickr

Very nice build, SilentWolf, definitely my favorite of your physical builds! pirate_satisfied.gif Great job with the ground floor and attic, and the cellar - although I would prefer it tiled like the other two - is not at all bad either! :thumbup: My single favorite detail, though, is the black squares with the windows in them on the side and back - I'm not exactly sure why, but those are really superb!

Excellent build! The exterior is deceptively simple, but the interior details really bring it to life. I like that we see the basement of the interior, and I love how the roof opens up. Beautiful furniture; I especially like that stove. The variety of jars is also well done. Bravo!

Great concept and very well executed! I like all the small details you've put in such as the canning process and furniture. The clean looking exterior is also well done and the addition of the basement is very clever. Good job!

Lovely house, the furniture is very nicely made as well. All the little jar are great too

Fantastic work. You have improved so much since you started here, it's absolutely amazing to see. In poth photography/presentation as well as the MOCs themselves. Just keep it up, please!

The exterior is nice. The small bay-windows at the side bring enough variation and the trapdoor towards the cellar makes it really interesting.

The interior concept with the story behind it is well thought-out, and the execution is flawless. So many nice details, especially those furniture pieces are surely inspiring. Fantastic addition to BoBS!

I love the multistory approach, and the cellar is particularly cool. (And yes, obviously preservation would be invented in Corrington - couldn't agree more!)

The preserved foods will be a great advantage to our brave sailors.

Apart from the underground cellar, my favourite part of this build is the interior details.

(And I have got to agree with Elostirion - you have had a very steep learning curve! Keep up the good work!

Very nice build, SilentWolf, definitely my favorite of your physical builds! pirate_satisfied.gif Great job with the ground floor and attic, and the cellar - although I would prefer it tiled like the other two - is not at all bad either! :thumbup: My single favorite detail, though, is the black squares with the windows in them on thI e side and back - I'm not exactly sure why, but those are really superb!

Thank you for the compliments! I have been trying to learn from the builds I see and incorporate the ideas into my own builds to improve mine. The windows were done to try and break the monotony of the wall. I had used it previously in the founding of the colony build, but it had been in white. I feel the darker color worked better as it made more of a contrast. I had considered tiling to cellar, but I decided I wanted it to look unpolished so I avoided it. I shall have to try it out in the future.

Excellent build! The exterior is deceptively simple, but the interior details really bring it to life. I like that we see the basement of the interior, and I love how the roof opens up. Beautiful furniture; I especially like that stove. The variety of jars is also well done. Bravo!

Thank you! The opening roof looks great in the pictures but would not work on a playable model. The brackets kept popping off. I need to work on a way of securing them better. The stove had an operational oven door that I did not show and it could hold a pan (tile).

Great concept and very well executed! I like all the small details you've put in such as the canning process and furniture. The clean looking exterior is also well done and the addition of the basement is very clever. Good job!

Thank you! After having spent three weeks earlier this summer canning fruit, I decided I might as well use my knowledge in making it a Lego build. I just had to research when the different methods were invented to see what to portray.

Lovely house, the furniture is very nicely made as well. All the little jar are great too

Thank you!

Fantastic work. You have improved so much since you started here, it's absolutely amazing to see. In poth photography/presentation as well as the MOCs themselves. Just keep it up, please!

The exterior is nice. The small bay-windows at the side bring enough variation and the trapdoor towards the cellar makes it really interesting.

The interior concept with the story behind it is well thought-out, and the execution is flawless. So many nice details, especially those furniture pieces are surely inspiring. Fantastic addition to BoBS!

Thank you, Elostirion! The photography on this build was a little under par as I was rushing it. I ended up having to lighten some of the pictures on my photo editor. I am glad to know that people see a steady improvement in my builds. The furniture was fun to do since I had made some of the pieces in my LDD model. I was pleased that they turned out fairly sturdy and looked great in actual bricks also.

I love the multistory approach, and the cellar is particularly cool. (And yes, obviously preservation would be invented in Corrington - couldn't agree more!)

The preserved foods will be a great advantage to our brave sailors.

Apart from the underground cellar, my favourite part of this build is the interior details.

(And I have got to agree with Elostirion - you have had a very steep learning curve! Keep up the good work!

Thank you, Bregir! This is my first attempt at an underground build since my hidden cave in the first set of challenges. I am glad to know it turned out well in others perspectives also. Thank you for the compliments on my improvement.

Long live the Corrington navy!

You have indeed improved a lot, wich can clearly be seen on the interior!