Sign in to follow this  
Franco Clarke

[OL-FB3] The Man from the King's Court-Part 4

As the sun rose into the sky, casting long shadows over the sea, the Colombe sailed towards the edge of the bay. The water was calm and the light breeze was easily captured by the Colombe's sail. The Colombe gracefully slid around the headland, and sure enough in the centre of the next bay sat a two-masted vessel. It was obviously built for speed with a slim hull and large sails.

28343015140_d2ab4547f4_b.jpg

Erwin raised his telescope and observed the ship, to see the crew frantically preparing to escape. Erwin ordered the merchant ensign be lowered and the battle flag of Oleon raised. If they were to capture these criminals, it would have to be fast, since he didn't think the Colombe would be able to keep pace with their boat. However no soon as the flag had reached the top of the mast then a shot rang out from the enemy ship, and a split second later a part of the bow rails was blasted off.

Erwin shouted forward 'Gunner they are obviously hostile, open fire'

However the reply came back 'We're not in range yet'

Erwin cursed; because this was a merchant vessel, the guns were only good for close quarters combat. The enemy gun roared again and blasted the main sail, tearing a chunk of the spar. The remains of the sail started flapping in the breeze and the Colombe began to slow down without its main sail. This attack was quickly turning into a disaster. Then Erwin remember that he had been promised additional support should the need arise. Well arise it certainly had.

Erwin called to Private Collins 'Take the wheel and keep her steady.'

He then dived down a hatch toward his cabin. Another shot hit the hull just in front of Erwin spraying splinters about. Erwin gritted his teeth and carried on, kicking open the door to his cabin. There on the desk was the firework which he had been given to signal his need for reinforcements. Grabbing it he plunged back toward the deck hatch, dodging the cannon ball rolling around in the corridor outside. Climbing up onto the deck he lit the fuse from the burning remains of one of the stern lanterns and it flew screaming into the sky leaving a fiery trail. Now he could but hope that the support, whatever it was, would spot the single and arrive in time to save him.

28594707116_9f97466baa_z.jpg

The enemy vessel had now closed in and began to pound the Colombe from close range with cannon shot. At last they were in range so that they could return fire. However Erwin watched in dismay as their first shot sailed through a gap in the enemy ship's rigging and splashed harmlessly into the waters of the bay. Even worse was to follow, as the enemy's return shot landed smack on the cannon, smashing it.

Erwin shouted for the crew to try and move the gun from the other side over. However the enemy fired some grape shot which scythed down the crew as they struggled to turn the cumbersome gun around. Erwin fetched out his flintlock and fired at one of the enemy sailors who fell from his perch in the crow's nest into the sea. He saw Collins get shot in the shoulder and fall over onto the deck which was awash with blood and water as the steadily worsening weather caused waves to break over the sides and through holes in the railings.

Suddenly another cannon fired, hitting the rear mast of the enemy shit, causing it to crack and pitch over. Erwin looked to see an Oleon war sloop entering the battle. It fired again and smashed part of the cannon's carriage apart. That should lessen the return fire. Erwin left the wheel and heaved on their gun until it was pointing towards the sloop in order to engage its new attacker. Private Collins limped over and rolled a ball into the barrel, whilst Erwin lit the fuse. The shot flew true this time and hit the stern of the other ship, blowing the tiller apart.

Then Erwin heard a cry of 'they've killed the captain' and saw the remaining crew on the enemy ship raise their hands in the air. Exhausted, and bleeding from the splinters in his face, Erwin collapsed and lapsed into darkness.

28011236263_9679660f32_z.jpg

I hope you all enjoyed this conclusion to this series of stories. I have especially enjoyed writing them.

The enemy's ship, or The Caecilian as she will be known now she has been captured by Oleon, was a relatively simple build with some very awkward rigging. Unfortunately the rigging became very loose at the back after I managed to know the rear mast over a while back, which is annoying. I hope you like her, and I might see if I can fit some sails on perhaps.

28594706916_2310835c63_z.jpg

28011236163_4033074ddb_z.jpg

Very nice ship and excellent story-telling, Franco Clarke, your tales are always a pleasure to read (probably because I'm not a Corry pir_laugh2.gifpirate_laugh2.gif) On the build itself, I quite like the tan masts, and the rigging looks pretty good (although as you said, a bit taunter would definitely help! Did you try tightening them afterwards? I think the shrouds on the rear mast look like the might be able to be fixed by wrapping them around the flagpole a few more times pirate_wink.gif) I'm not entirely sure about all the studs on the side, though, have you tried tiling those off?

Anyhow you are improving, keep it up! pirate_classic.gif

Nice story as always! And the ship is interesting too and a nice addition to our fleet. Its Design and color choices are nice. Only thing you could easily(?) improve is the looseness of the strings as you too noticed.

Really enjoyed the story, it was excellently written!

The angle of the first pic is great and the new ship has a nice curve

Edited by Puvel

As I have said before, I really enjoy your stories. The way the tide of battle moves back and forth, and the considerations of the captain, etc. Keep up the good work - this was a very interesting storyline!

I like the use of landscape for the first shot and the Caecilian is looking good. (Although the masts do suffer from the knock down. Perhaps they could be straightened up? ) Both hull and rigging is looking nice. I would suggest adding some trucks (wheels) to the gun, though, so it can absorp the recoil.

Thank you for all your most kind replies, I am glad you all enjoyed the end of this little story

Very nice ship and excellent story-telling, Franco Clarke, your tales are always a pleasure to read (probably because I'm not a Corry) On the build itself, I quite like the tan masts, and the rigging looks pretty good (although as you said, a bit taunter would definitely help! Did you try tightening them afterwards? I think the shrouds on the rear mast look like the might be able to be fixed by wrapping them around the flagpole a few more times I'm not entirely sure about all the studs on the side, though, have you tried tiling those off? Anyhow you are improving, keep it up! pirate_classic.gif

Thank you, I think the best thing would be to dissasemble the whole lot and then redo it and try and tighten it, although I'm worried that it might come out even worse.

As I have said before, I really enjoy your stories. The way the tide of battle moves back and forth, and the considerations of the captain, etc. Keep up the good work - this was a very interesting storyline! I like the use of landscape for the first shot and the Caecilian is looking good. (Although the masts do suffer from the knock down. Perhaps they could be straightened up? ) Both hull and rigging is looking nice. I would suggest adding some trucks (wheels) to the gun, though, so it can absorp the recoil.

Good call on the wheels, that will be added soon! The masts are wonky because they are just a stack of cylinders, which warp under the tension of the few taught strings, might there be a way of strengthening them?

I would suggest flextubes, but in the absence of those, you can use different lenghts of bars. And if you ensure that the rigging is balanced, the stays *should* press the mast downwards, and allow them to stand. With the right distribution of force, they should also allow you to make some horisontal pressure too.

I am currently working on a build including a small sloop. There I have used small bars inside the round bricks. And while it is somewhat vulnerable to sideways pressure (where the bars meet), it stands relatively well.

You ships have defenitely improved a lot, this is my favoured from you to date! :thumbup: keep it up!