Sign in to follow this  
LucByard

[M - B05] Pay dirt.

PLEASE NOTE: Location in thread title is an error and can't see how to change it: Thanks to whoever changed it. : )

Tags: Civil, Land Vehicle.

27308449383_6c2b083dca_b.jpg

Ever get the feeling no-one likes you? Yseult thought to herself as she powered up what looked like the oldest most out-dated walklift in the foundry. The KH-40 was an augmech, a rare type of walker where the pilot's legs clip into the upper leg and the whole torso looks mostly supported by the pilot's own body. It isn't, the rear dampers taking most of the load but it was a design that left most workers feeling uncomfortable, despite the extra speed and freedom of movement it afforded. The design soon fell out of favour but this unit had clearly spent a long time in service; it was covered in a multitude of different green markings as different work crews had taken it into their fleet for a while and put their mark somewhere on the bodywork.

Yseult made her way through the freight terminal, deep in the pyramid behind the lower landing bays as the heads-up display in her visor outlined the route to her first pick. It was slow going compared to the hoverbike she was used to and as a pilot at heart, she had accepted the work a little begrudgingly but she'd been sat around for long enough and hadn't exactly made her flying history public knowledge. She didn't really want them to know; The more they know, the more questions they can ask. At least moving crates around in a loader kept her out of people's way, and them out of hers. Is this what he meant? She had made a deal with Big Sal and was getting paid for the work but he'd targeted her, specifically, she'd felt when she gazed at the rusty old replacement hoverbike he'd bestowed upon her. Surely, he hadn't gone through all that for her to move boxes in a mech. I won't find that out here she thought. So I might as well get on with it.

Additional images:

27309334294_d98417bab7.jpg

27819912152_049c7ab4ff.jpg

The design allows a full kneeling pose.

27844547761_b663c5eb06.jpg

Here, you can see the connection at the back contracted and expanded with the position of the pilot's legs.

27819915952_8f9da21aec.jpg

Here is a clear shot showing that there's no bodywork between the two halves save for the rear clips.

27643058230_b32feb65ae.jpg

Although there is no rotation at the waist, hips and ankle, the design is still quite versatile for posing.

27309337424_3700f3c57b.jpg

27841991821_ab158c6b9d.jpg

Riddaeon watched impatiently as Big Sal examined equations on a screen while only half paying attention to their conversation. "You spoke to her then?" the scientist said without looking up in response to Riddaeon's report. "Analasys?" he asked. Riddaeon had an air of concern in his tone. "Hot headed, cynical." He began. He paused for a moment, recalling their conversation. "Sharp though." He continued. "Quick to evaluate and react, even though she probably over-reacts". "Does she trust you?" Big Sal interjected. Riddaeon thought back to the trap he'd set. "No". Now Big Sal looked up from his screen. In between the large beard and the mop of hair, behind the thick-rimmed glasses, his eyes darted around as if calculating something complex in his mind. He strode in a not-quite-straight-line over to an old vidi-board full of equations and started scrawling in one of the few empty gaps. His stylus stopped suddenly as if all of his mind's effort had become focussed on one single mental calculation. He turned to Riddaeon. "And what about her?" he asked. "Can we trust her?". Riddaeon thought for a moment... "No". Big Sal's bewildering look of impossibly complex internal arythmatic slowly turned into a knowing, sly grin. He returned to the board and finished the equation... "Good" he said aloud... He looked at the final entry in the equation: delta Upsilon... "Good".

Edited by LucByard

Wow, the walker is quite unlike anything I've ever seen, and it's fantastic. The design centered on/around the pilot's body is creative, and really well done, with just enough greebliness and age built into it.

Whoa, that mech is incredible. The agility is really amazing. I can't believe how pose-able it is! I also appreciate that you resisted the urge to give it tons of weapons. I like that it is more of a utilitarian mech than a war machine.

Wonderful. My favorite build of yours yet, and probably all week (don't tell anyone else, shh! :wink::laugh:) This. Mech. Is. Gorgeous.

The utilitarian design, industrial colouration (as mentioned in story), the appropriately bulky chest and arms, lights and/or glass bits on the front and all around in sensible areas... all these details are spot on! Your shaping is really spectacular, the way you built it to fit the mini figure just right is admirable! Even the base and the crate are lovely! It's posable, and practical! I just wish it was Octan! :cry_sad::tongue:

Wonderful job again on the story. You're a real novelist! :sweet:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

Love all the flexibility on this! You're a very nice writer, by the way. Do you write the story beforehand?

You're a very nice writer, by the way. Do you write the story beforehand?

Thanks G. So far, I've typed the narrative straight into the post and mostly made it up as I go along based on what I built but I've also got a couple of chapters that I now need to build for which is the harder way round.

I just wish it was Octan! :cry_sad::tongue:

Wonderful job again on the story. You're a real novelist! :sweet:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

:laugh: Can't think of anyone that would fit into super corporate Octan less well than Yseult. I really pleased that you like my writing, I'm very excited about where Yseult's story could go.

:laugh: Can't think of anyone that would fit into super corporate Octan less well than Yseult. I really pleased that you like my writing, I'm very excited about where Yseult's story could go.

Well, Octan did have a nonconforming employee once. Come to think of it, I think Dr. Long might have had something to do with his... sidelining. But still, I'm sure you'll do fine in MANTIS. :tongue:

Can't wait to see what you've got in store! When I said this was my favorite build of yours, I actually just meant in the game. Your Blacktron Landing Pad inspired this build of mine. (The pillar, surprisingly)

:classic:

~Insectoid Aristocrat