Sign in to follow this  
Franco Clarke

[OL-FB2] Nightheart

HMS Flea lay, overshadowed and dwarfed by the larger warship it was tied too. Around patrolled a host of small ships, ensuring the flagship was secure.

27262236244_4bda0a3306_z.jpg

A small figure climbed off the deck of HMS Flea and up the ladder that was fixed to the side of the larger ship. He reached the top, saluted and then made his way towards the stern.

There sat the Admiral sitting a neatly laid table, having his afternoon tea. The captain arrived and stood sharply to attention, and waited whilst the Admiral finished the small cake which he was eating.

'Captain I would like to congratulate you on your most successful execution of my instructions' the Admiral commented. 'I hear that catches are up six times what they were 6 months ago.'

'Yes Lord, the privateers have increased our success rate' replied the captain 'however we do have a slight problem'

The Admiral looked out at where the vessel which had accompanied HMS flea was sitting further out. 'Do tell, what might this issue be?'

'Well you see, sir, a certain pirate, who calls himself Nightheart has claimed we should pay him double for the Oleon warship we sunk' said the captain, in a cautious voice.

The Admiral's face remained calm and unreadable as he said 'I don't suppose that Nightheart's ship is the one which arrived with you today?'

'It is indeed one and the same sir' replied the captain.

The Admiral leant forward and picked up a cup of tea and began sipping it whilst inspecting Nightheart's ship further. After a minute of silence he signalled to an officer who had been standing silently to attention for the entire conversation near the mast.

'Gunner, prepare the starboard batteries, you may fire when ready'

The ship echoed with the rumble of gun carriages rolling over polished wooden decks, and the rhythmic bangs as the cannon flaps swung open.

The deck throbbed as the guns fired and the Admiral watched the ripples in his tea.

27596306360_3f19aa4869_z.jpg

Nightheart woke up on a sandy beach surrounded by the debris and wreckage which had once made up the Dark Wolf. He lay thinking about what had lead him to get into this situation. The last thing he could remember was clinging to a plank whilst the Dark Wolf's prow slipped beneath the waves. That was the last time he worked for Corrington, he had helped them and then they stabbed him in the back.

He slowly stood up and wandered down the beach past barrels and scraps of sails. He came across the corpse of his first mate which had already attracted a host of birds. Wearily he picked the body up waded into the sea and lay it down, hoping that the tide might pull it away from the hungry birds. Then he noticed something bobbing in the water. It was his bicorn hat. He fished it out of the swell and placed it upon his head, and then headed up the beach to where a small path pierced the undergrowth. He began the journey back to civilisation and he began planning his revenge on Corrington.

27773098612_49bfe96b1d_z.jpg

I've had this jungle scene lying around for a while now, and I finally found a suitable use for it. Mostly an experiment in terrain and undergrowth, I hope you like it!

27773098702_a7f5e4931b_z.jpg

27596306220_8aa53b5ae8_z.jpg

Also these pictures didn't seem to come out very well, I'll see what I can do for the next set.

Great concept, meh photo quality! pirate_tong.gif I especially liked the 2nd photo that looks like it came from a naval battle painting of the 18th century! :wub: :wub: :wub: Definitely among my favorites of you!!

Great concept, meh photo quality! pirate_tong.gif I especially liked the 2nd photo that looks like it came from a naval battle painting of the 18th century! :wub: :wub: :wub: Definitely among my favorites of you!!

Thank all very much, I'm glad you liked the build! The second photo was especially awkward, getting the ship to sit up out of the water!