Sign in to follow this  
Bonaparte

After almost one year sorting bricks...

About 1 year ago I stopped all my MOCing activities.

I didn't want to search anymore for bricks in my unsorted boxes.

So I've been using a lot of my spare time to sort... bricks.

After 1 year of sorting I'm finally finished.

Here are some pictures showing the result of all these long nights sorting bricks.

Now I can finally start MOCing again !!

Btw, this thread is not about the storage containers because I don't want to merge it with the storage containers thread :-)

Everything is sorted per color with 4 subdivisions for each color (plates, 1 x X, 2 x X and all the rest).

Also I've separated tiles, wedges, grey technic, black technics, vegetations, minifigs, armies, wheels, ...

bricks1.jpg

bricks2.jpg

bricks3.jpg

bricks5.jpg

bricks6.jpg

bricks7.jpg

bricks4.jpg

That's impressive, Bonaparte. A whole year to do it?

Now how long (or how much MOCing) will it take to un-sort it?

Good - may your MOCs be great and your coffee strong!

Is that all your Lego, or just the bricks? It looks like you have to be quite athletic to build with all the Lego on the floor (that is, assuming you build at a desk) - you'd have to get up and return all the time...not like me, all my Lego surrounds me at my desk...

Are the vertical stripes of colours seperated into different types? Are you planning on using finer division later on? *sweet*

SlyOwl

I'm looking forward to your MOC's you will be making! :-D

I wish I could sort all of mine like that, but with two little brothers, I know it ain't gonna happen :'-(

:-)

As the Sisyphus of sorting, I know how big a deal this is. Congratulations on 100% sort!
Thanks!
That's impressive, Bonaparte. A whole year to do it?
Yep, it took about a year. Each day a little bit.
Is that all your Lego, or just the bricks? It looks like you have to be quite athletic to build with all the Lego on the floor (that is, assuming you build at a desk) - you'd have to get up and return all the time...not like me, all my Lego surrounds me at my desk...

Are the vertical stripes of colours seperated into different types? Are you planning on using finer division later on? *sweet*

SlyOwl

These are bricks only. I just added this to the first post: Everything is sorted per color with 4 subdivisions for each color (plates, 1 x X, 2 x X and all the rest). Also I've separated tiles, wedges, grey technic, black technics, vegetations, minifigs, armies, wheels, ... . Sets are stored a bit everywhere like in the basement, my room. The big Star Wars sets like Imperial Star Destroyer and Rebel Blockade Runner had to go to my grandmother because lack of space :-/
I'm looking forward to your MOC's you will be making! :-D

First thing I'll do is participate in that fantastic ship building contest of Captain Green Hair that starts on the 1st of January.

First thing I'll do is *********** ** that fantastic **** ******** ******* of ******* ***** **** that ****** ** the *** ** *******.

I was under the impression not yet public... X-O

How do you sort your minifigs?

How do you store your sails?

SlyOwl

Edited by Bonaparte

You blasted fool! Everybody knows half the fun is in the searching!

Seriously though, well done, I know how that feels back when i was still doing Warhammer 40,000.

A brilliant job Bonaparte! *y*

I myself recently started sorting my collection, and found it very difficult to come up with a good process.

You've done a great job here, you wouldn't mind if I took a page from the book of Bonaparte and tried this sorting process would you? It seems very simple and effective :-)

I assume that the "all the rest" bin contains slopes and curves, am I right?

Clearly Batbrick's mind has turned to mush! *wacko*

Edited by Batbrick

Great work! *wub* Now take some deep breaths and let the MOCs flow!

You blasted fool! Everybody knows half the fun is in the searching!

:-D Seriously, I felt like that until around six months ago. :-$ I'm almost finished my own sorting job. *sweet*

Such an effort is a massive undertaking, it's good to see it completed successfully! *y*

Now a simple word of advice. After sorting, it's temping to create a bin or two for "parts you've just used" where they can sit until being sorted back where they belong. Don't let that get out of hand, or next thing you know, all the good parts are in there and you're stuck spending all your time trying to get back to the state you're in now. Not that I've experienced this or anything ... :-$

Organization On! *y*

good sorting! *y* i can't help but notice you placed the speakers on top of the storage boxes. the boxes aren't stable so won't that create unwanted vibrations? i would hang the speakers and leave the top for displaying your lego models. :-P

Good job, I know how much time it costs to sort everything.

It took me quite some months to sort every piece (exept the basic bricks) I have into 249 small drawers....

Edited by simonwillems

Great work B *y*

the only thing i don't have sorted are 1x1 to 1x12 bricks and 1x6 to 2x16 plates are all in one tub yet.

Otherwise everything else is sorted X-D

Took me a couple of years though 8-|

I kept on getting sidetracked and make a MOC :-D

P

Edited by phred

Congratulations on completion! I know how hard it can be, I've been 'getting round to' finishing sorting my Lego for over a year now... X-D I'm nearly half way there... X-D

~Peace

I was under the impression not yet public... X-O

How do you sort your minifigs?

How do you store your sails?

SlyOwl

My sails are in a special box. I still need a solution for that.

Many minifigs are mixed. Only my armies are in separate boxes (Napoleonic, English, Crusaders and Black Falcon).

good sorting! *y* i can't help but notice you placed the speakers on top of the storage boxes. the boxes aren't stable so won't that create unwanted vibrations? i would hang the speakers and leave the top for displaying your lego models. :-P

The bass speaker is on the ground and those little ones don't vibrate that much :-D

Otherwise everything else is sorted X-D

Have any pictures of that P?

The size is sure big! With lost of History and Advantures LEGO set. Do you happen to have any Star Wars sets? Cause that's what I collect *sweet* .
I've several SW sets. I'll try to add some pics of my sets in the (near) future.

I have been planning on doing this for a while does any one have suggestions for boxes, Bonaparte, yours look good because you can pick the size of the bin. Do you have a link from where you bought them

I have been planning on doing this for a while does any one have suggestions for boxes, Bonaparte, yours look good because you can pick the size of the bin. Do you have a link from where you bought them

The storage drawers are from Curver.

I just went to their site because I wanted to give the link but it seems they are no longer there :'-(

I selected this one because it was already on the market for a long time and expected this was a stayer.

So I hoped I could buy some more of these in a few years.

Anyway, I just sent a mail to Curver to clear this out.

That is a lot of bricks there! I would have taken two years to sort out that lot! Good sorting! *y*