Palixa And The Bricks

[MOC] Modular Book Shop

I'd like to present my latest modular building. It's based on a canal house I saw in Amsterdam last year. There's a book shop located on the bottom two floors that also sells comic books and some rare comic figures. The upper two floors contain an apartement for the bookseller.

24787074121_a0beaefedc_z.jpg 24854193736_a17f9c10b1_z.jpg

The book shop:

24879946545_86df1781e4.jpg 24879947395_1dc4d12734.jpg

24853678606_79c1b37d27.jpg 24512348629_804b2cc5ca.jpg

The apartement:

24786567061_db9f3fe48d.jpg 24879950725_ecd1d9d22e.jpg

24253084323_490dcf4ebb.jpg 24512351649_72ffb9c302.jpg

Some furniture:

24762049762_8c84e697c4_n.jpg 24879939725_2ee8892f20_n.jpg 24762035612_218ebf1672_n.jpg

24879940175_117e7696af_z.jpg

I hope you like it.

Sweet build! The texture with the black plates works very well. Also like the apartment which is very charming! :)

Never thought of building a modular in black but this works very well. Excellent effect using plates as bricks.

Great Work!!!

Love the bedroom at the attic ( I like the way you integrated the toilet )

Greetings

It looks wonderful. Your use of plates adds a lot of nice subtle details all over the building. The effect is especially effective on the texture of the back wall, as if it is built of real bricks.

Splendid representation of the type of buildings you find in Amsterdam (except maybe for the garden on the front). The interior and the furniture is great too. My fabourite detail is the lavender tub as a... tub.

Excellent modular in the spirit of Amsterdam architecture. The bookshop and upstairs apartment are great as is the texture and color of the whole structure. The Dutch style certainly requires good use of limited space available and you captured that well.

Thank you very much :classic: Glad you like it.

I had planned to use plates for the whole building but I ran out of pieces and mainly wanted to use bricks I already had (which didn't work either :laugh: ). So I used dark grey bricks on the side walls. Maybe completely black walls would have been too dark.

Splendid representation of the type of buildings you find in Amsterdam (except maybe for the garden on the front). The interior and the furniture is great too. My fabourite detail is the lavender tub as a... tub.

Actually the real building had exactly this garden :classic:

24269183284_7bf7114c66_n.jpg

Edited by Palixa And The Bricks

The combination of those 1x2 plates defined the build for me. Such an exquisite interior. Great work on the furniture too.

Edited by muffluvin

The detailed brickwork created by all the 1x2s is beautiful! I like how it's black/gray/white on the outside, but very colorful and playful on the inside. The wooden purple tub is a fun touch.

Actually the real building had exactly this garden :classic:

I take it back! A garden is a rare sight in Amsterdam though! But the pics show even better how good your build is! Again, well done!

I think this one is my favourite of your buildings. I wouldn't thought of using black plates, but your store is a great example of the amazing brick work. The black really works well. The colourful interiors is amazing as well. It's really a feast for my eyes. Congratulations on this fine build!

Well, it's good, it's very good. Out of curiosity, how many 1x2 plates have you used on the front and back facade?

Well, it's good, it's very good. Out of curiosity, how many 1x2 plates have you used on the front and back facade?

I can't tell exactly. I didn't count them. But based on my bricklink order and the parts I already had I guess I used about 800 1x2 plates and 200 1x1 plates.

The interior colors contrast wonderfully with the dark grey and black walls. I especially love the tan bookshelves with books in every color.

Love the interiors of this one and the exterior design is instantly recognizable as being a canal house. At first I was less sure about the exterior colour though (especially in that first pic but that might just be because of the black background) but it's growing on me!!

Pretty neat build.

The black facade is definately different but totally works.

Overall an impressive MOC with some nice interior ! :classic:

Nice building!

And what a dazzling number of 1x2 plates you must've used up in it. Not just the outside, but all the 'books' aswell.

Black as the main color is a bold choice, but works out ok here :classic:

Lovely house. And Amsterdam is the only city/town I know where one can find black houses, so it is instantly recognisable.