Sign in to follow this  
MacKaiwer

[TC9] Three-Wheeler & Trike

Hello! For this contest I wanted to build something from set 42039. Because I have two unbuild set 42039 I can build both A and B model without unbuilding A model. Now I have something to show of my A model which is a three-wheeler car...

Overall look front (openable doors as you can see because driver door is forgotten little open):

rYkxwk9.jpg

Overall look side:

mOGogrF.jpg

Front axle mounted 4 cylinder boxer engine (driven by right front wheel/axle):

p85V8GT.jpg

KPxOkC1.jpg

rGkYkf0.jpg

Bounding box 20x38x13=9880

y1Fzlqq.jpg

Rear wheel steers car, doors open, pistons working boxer engine... There may be improvements if I'll invent some/any. Not yet started B model but it will be some kind of trike...

Like everything except the rear part

Edited by LXF

Looks really good. Can't wait to see the B model.

Thanks man :classic: I am now in between two options for B model... Normal trike or reversed trike... With those wide tires maybe reversed might be better choice, something like this one...

OCfZZFZ.jpg

What are those springs doing on the rear wheel? Since they are not connected to the body, they won't work!

Like everything except the rear part

Rear part was kind of difficult to invent... I am quite happy with it myself anyways... Maybe because I couldn't do better :laugh: But thanks, critisism is always important part of doing and learning :classic:

What are those springs doing on the rear wheel? Since they are not connected to the body, they won't work!

They are reserve for B model :wink: Could do that fender with "normal" parts but then maybe not front suspension for B model...

just holding up the curved pannels

the springs are 6.5 studs, 7 would look to long and 5 and 7 would be to short

just holding up the curved pannels

the springs are 6.5 studs, 7 would look to long and 5 and 7 would be to short

That's also true. I wanted fender quite close to rear tire... But as I said those springs are for the B model suspension and so they must be somehow onboard at A model.

Maybe remove that turning possibility at back at all, and make back suspended? I think, it would be better.

And why not make front steerable?

Very nice!

Seeing your bounding box (nicely done btw) I understand that 10.000 cubic studs can be quite a challenge :sweet:

Maybe remove that turning possibility at back at all, and make back suspended? I think, it would be better.

And why not make front steerable?

To make front steerable would need huge change and effort to front axle and engine mounting, and there's quite little room and to be honest I don't know if I am skilled enough to do that. Now it looks like this...

1danV2t.jpg

I think I'll stick with steerable back wheel even it is little bit awkward and not so agile.

Very nice!

Seeing your bounding box (nicely done btw) I understand that 10.000 cubic studs can be quite a challenge :sweet:

Thanks Jim :classic:

Hole bottom view:

t8jT7cf.jpg

This is an excellent build so far. Don't get the engine/piston setup, but love it... :thumbup::classic:

Thanks :classic: Engine is 1 stud narrowed and two cylinders removed from 6-boxer with a cap in the middle:

PMqesqP.jpg

Little bit updated looks:

1f8qERN.jpg

Qm0Fo32.jpg

SG9uzIh.jpg

Now I think it's time to sort out used parts and start to build B model. If there is need of any new parts for B model then they of course must first fit to the A model :wink:

Edited by MacKaiwer

i think the rear is a little bit weird, those cuved pannels on the side should be mounted vetically not horizontally

Maybe that is quite a good idea... You mean something like this?

Yw2EZ1d.jpg

Z7uuKKf.jpg

em5EpyO.jpg

Thanks for the tip :thumbup:

And then again... I removed those door windows because they were so ugly but I will keep the wind shield :classic: I think now it is more or less done so here is updated pics:

9I6eS89.jpg

j0dqR19.jpg

xhiMAcP.jpg

I think that's enough for the looks at this time... Now it may take some time before I have something to show about B model... It's not gonna be easy but that's just why it is so fun to try create something :wink:

The back looks like an old bugatti atlantique.

With the panels it looks much better now

Edited by LXF

The back looks like an old bugatti atlantique.

With the panels it looks much better now

Looks interesting. Those wheels are probably the biggest in this contest :sweet:

Thanks! Yes, I had a obsession to make something with just and only parts from 42039, so there comes the choice of wheels :sweet:

----------

Sorting out those A model parts was kind a hard work but now it's done... These are the ingredients of A model and my "moving space" for B model:

gmxM6jC.jpg

I surprised myself and after yesterday evening&night building I have you to show B model :classic:

It is a "normal" trike and it looks like this:

SIj4ei0.jpg

Side view:

nCNqrxO.jpg

Back view:

7W6CveW.jpg

It has rear axle driven and pistons working V4-engine:

PH8UAvG.jpg

AqkFpNw.jpg

I think the style and colouring would fit for Batmans sidekick Robin :wink: Or what would you say:

H9zrdQ1.jpg

10000 limit was really tight... Bounding box 30x22x15=9900

AfHTvTU.jpg

Leftover pieces:

mRDF4Xv.jpg

We are family:

k5s1onh.jpg

Updating B model looks... I removed that curved front panel, added mirrors, exhaust pipe tips and higher seat. I think looks are now better:

dkmwHv8.jpg

I3Jwh01.jpg

qjUtH5x.jpg

Rt4ueo5.jpg

Edited by MacKaiwer

Nice models...and it seems like you are finished... :thumbup: The first one? :wink:

i like the steerable back - its different and different is good

Thanks guys! Yeah I think so too that I was first to have both models "ready". Personally I like the looks of both models but their turning circle is, due only one wide steerable wheel, quite huge... B model is little bit more agile with 60 cm diameter but A model has whopping 100 cm diameter turning circle :look: With narrow wheels it might be better but like I said, I wanted to build these with only parts from Technic set 42039. But I'm quite happy with these models and I do this just for fun, not so serious about how I will rank in contest :laugh: