Hod Carrier

Sprinter Light Train (SLT) - LDD MOC WIP

Having completed the DD-VIRM I have been able to turn my attention to the Sprinter Light Train (SLT) that has been languishing my computer for a while. It's the same 4-wide size as the DD-VIRM and has been causing me the same magnitude of headaches.

While the body shape is much more straightforward than the DD-VIRM the cabs are a total pain because of the complexity of the shape. I've changed it several times, tried different parts and have never been happy with the results. The pictures below are screenshots taken from LDD of the latest version and, as far as I can ascertain, the closest I can get to the real deal at this scale. However, you only have to glance at the real SLT to see just how unrealistic the model still is.

Has anyone got any ideas for improving the look of the model to make it look just a bit more like the prototype? Or am I trying for the impossible in pursuit of my perfectionism?

Thanks in advance.

19512504629_0ca3bc4d9f_b.jpg

19511142970_3428e415ac_b.jpg

Compared to the prototype.

SprinterSLT.jpg

Edited by Hod Carrier

It looks nice! The only thing that should be different are the headlights. I think the best way is to just don't have them.

That's really really good. The front end is pretty close, as close as you'll get it I think in Lego. I think it's a pretty amazing achievement in a 4 wide Lego train.

It looks nice! The only thing that should be different are the headlights. I think the best way is to just don't have them.

Yes I agree that the headlights are far too prominent. Because of the difficulties in getting them flush with the front of the train I shall probably render them as stickers on a 1x2 tile. Assuming I go ahead with the build using this style of cab front, that is.

19672926856_48fb9c9f9c_b.jpg

19699152525_57dd89dd15_b.jpg

That's really really good. The front end is pretty close, as close as you'll get it I think in Lego. I think it's a pretty amazing achievement in a 4 wide Lego train.

Yes, I'm beginning to think that I've come to the end of the line developmentally. Therize is correct to point out details like the headlights because these things lend more realism and invoke the real train more accurately, but my real struggle is with the shape. There are just too many compound curves to be able to recreate both the rake of the windscreen and the tapering towards the wedge-like nose. Short of having yet another total change of design philosophy I can't quite see how to move forwards.

But thank you for the compliment. I'm not completely unhappy with the design. I think it still looks like a modern European EMU, but just not quite the SLT.

Edited by Hod Carrier

Brick'd.

19992003975_e27dd0d3bb_z.jpg

19997227221_977a541386_z.jpg

19997231021_1b71782ed0_z.jpg

I'm reconciled to the shape of the front end. The sticker with the headlight details works fairly well after all.

That looks very good. Very modern European, which is what you're aiming for. The only thing I'd change is the sleepers for the track. Two wide plates look far too wide, I'd use one wide, and brown if you have them. The masts for the OHLE look really good too.

Thanks Tom.

I know the track isn't right, but at the present moment it's just a temporary way of staging the model. I used 2x6 plates because they would keep the rails square against each other and allow me to join them into a sufficiently long length without the need for baseplates. I'm currently living in a small flat and don't have any space for displaying LEGO, but I'm shortly moving to a larger place and will be looking for a way of displaying these models. At that point I shall look a bit more closely at the details of the track.

wow, your finished model definitely looks good!

Brilliant. I was planning on making one in 7 or 8 wide. But seeing this beauty I don't know how iI could match this.

The front is perfect and all is very recognisable. And I love the catenary as well.

Thank you. But please don't be put off from making a larger model SLT. I'm sure you will make an excellent model too.

Um, not entirely sturdy but sturdy enough for display I guess.

The design is heavily influenced by a Japanese MOC I'd seen on Brickshelf. Although it is designed for 4-wide scale I'm sure it could be scaled up for your chosen scale.

20091830411_e1077ea469_z.jpg

I think a good option for your lights is a sticker on top of a transparent tile with only the lights shining-through. SMD-leds beneath it.

For a larger working model, yes that's a good idea. However, mine is a static model so working lights aren't so crucial. Another option I'd considered were Technic bricks with holes in the side and the light bricks mounted behind that.

Thank you, Zephyr. I'm enjoying the challenge of 4-wide design and am starting to find it quite a natural scale. I keep toying with the idea of building something bigger, but I actually find that a more daunting prospect.

At the risk of deepening the Man with a Hat's depression further, I've been able to add some roof details at last. It's taken ages to find any source photos from an elevated angle to show the layout and shape of the roof-mounted equipment, but I managed in the end to get what I needed.

19522286743_b075d6fec3_z.jpg

20148845991_4e5d1d9383_z.jpg

Edited by Hod Carrier

It is surprising how much the added roof details add to the model. You know, if you are gravitating to be a 4 wide builder, keep in mind that 4 wide is pretty close to HO. With the right set of trucks you could have something that will run on a conventional model railroad (grin)

That's a thought. I hadn't even begun to consider parallels to other model railway scales and gauges, although I had worked out that motorising them using LEGO parts was going to be virtually impossible (although perhaps less so with other models at this size).

If you're looking at the novelty of possibly motorizing your 4 wide trains in the future, you can get HO scale motors and frames here: http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/HO-Scale-Electronics-Motors-s/1967.htm and trucks and wheel sets here: http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/HO-Scale-Couplers-Trucks-Wheelsets-s/1452.htm. I know a while back I saw a brick shelf folder for someone who made HO scale Lego trains the same way, but I can't find it. It'd be interesting to see what you come up with if you try it. Good luck with more 4 wide trains. I'd try it, but I keep having a ton of trouble with the trucks.

Um, not entirely sturdy but sturdy enough for display I guess.

Thanks, good to know. Mine are fair too weak for long term display at the moment.