Sign in to follow this  
D3K

[MOC] Swingloader Mk IV

Yes, it's that time again - time for a new Swingoader :laugh:

I took a wholly different approach this time around.. Like I have mentioned in certain other topics, I've enjoyed playing around with pneumatics lately, and my latest Swingloader is no exception:

800x533.jpg

All pictures are available in much higher resolution in this Bricksafe folder

800x521.jpg

Firstly, as you can see, it is a lot smaller than the PF versions (Mks I, II and III) I made previously. The main problem with this was finding a decent placement for the pump, believe it or not! :sweet: But once that was sorted, I had a pretty clear idea on how to build the rest of the MOC.

Features are as follows:

-Pneumatic lifting of loader arm

-Pneumatic dumping of bucket

-Pendular rear suspension

-Steering on both axles (loader is non-articulated) via HOG on the back

-Turning/swinging of the loader assy via HOG on top of the cabin

-Openable doors

800x518.jpg

800x532.jpg

800x522.jpg

The entire loader assy is mounted on a small turntable, which has just enough space to fit four pneumatic through it.

800x515.jpg

As you can see from the two previous pictures, the bucket achieves both a nice "scraping angle" as well as a decent "transport angle." It can be lowered further to lift the front axle off the ground as well. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the kinematics of the assembly this time around.

800x529.jpg

I of course forgot to take a picture of the raised transport position, but I assure you it's good :thumbup:

The bucket raises high enough to swing over the roof, but practical rotation is limited to +/- 90 degrees due to the pneumatic hoses through the turntable.

800x531.jpg

And lastly comes an underside shot, which might give you a better sense of the relatively small dimensions of this MOC

800x532.jpg

I'm well in to making an LDraw model of this MOC, but I redesigned the rear/counterweight area just before I took the pics, so I'll have to update the file before posting it.

As a final note, with the recent Technic Photography topic being very popular, I must say I am very satisfied with these pictures! Taken outside with a simple white cardboard backdrop, with my Canon 50D with the "nifty-fifty" Canon EF 50mm cheap lens :thumbup: Post processing consists of pressing "automatic adjustment" in Windows photo gallery on some of the pictures. Again, have a look in the Bricksafe folder for full resolution DSLR glory

Edited by D3K

Looks quite nice. :classic::thumbup:

I do have the feeling though that the swingloader is a little bit too small compared to the pneumatic cylinders. Especially in the front, where the cylinders basicly block the view from front-window :tongue:

Thanks guys, glad you seem to like it!

Personally I am very satisfied with this model, perhaps more so than the truck (but that seems to be just me :sweet: )

Nice one! I also like the look of that truck in the background

Thanks, I posted the truck more or less the same time as this, if you haven't already, you can have a closer looks at it here :wink:

Looks quite nice. :classic::thumbup:

I do have the feeling though that the swingloader is a little bit too small compared to the pneumatic cylinders. Especially in the front, where the cylinders basicly block the view from front-window :tongue:

Thanks!

That is very true, but pretty unavoidable. I decided the wheels first, and scaled everything accordingly (more or less). The loader assembly really is as small as I managed to make it, I had to use thin liftarms exclusively to not make it too wide, and due to the geometry and size of the cylinders the height had to be what it is. I concidered using small cylinders, but they were too small and weak, and would have reduced play value :classic:

that is one sexy looking model!....loving the use of the yellow guard rails...you wonder why this part is not used more in Tehnic sets?

It seems like an ideal part that should have been used in 42030 for example.

i see the rear wheels are pendular...would it be possible to make it like the rear wheels on 8273?

Edited by Richard Dower