Sign in to follow this  
kabel

[Challenge 1] It's a strange world ... (O-E01)

Tags: Challenge 1, AG, Octan

From far above Donwarr may seem not to be such an alien world altogether. But when our probes got close to the surface, especially on the regions where the planet's strong tectonic forces had ripped open the surface, it became quickly obvious that this was indeed a strange world. The chemistry on this planet works very different from what we know on earth and therefore everything, from rocks to plants to animals, appears to be very odd looking.

18796167770_6e66373a62_c.jpg

The planet sponsors a very lush vegetation, but the colors and shapes are different from anything we've seen before.

18983839505_8b7c45971e_c.jpg

This alien biome is inhabited by a strange three legged and appearently non-predatorial species that sucks the marrow out of the plants without destroying them though, as if it was farming this lush envirionment.

18796166990_64ee48fc05_c.jpg

Our scientist are not sure if this planet is actually suitable for human colonization but it sure is an interesting place to study!

Spoiler:

single shots of the alien creature:

18796189138_e004649a7b_c.jpg

Builder's note: This was really fun to do and quite a break from the stuff I normally do. Not sure why I've never ventured into SciFi before, it just offers so much room for creativity!

Really like the shape of that yellow rock kabel, the lush vegetation looks really good as well! Why does that alien critter remind me of a gargantium mosquito though? :look:

Oh man, giant mosquitoes... I hate the regular ones enough! I love the vegetation and the different layers. From the moss up to the larger trees you've captured that very well!

Oooo, I really love the colors of this build! So vibrant and fun, that little creature, the trees, the plantlife all add to make this so good!

Nice use of different colors! This must be one of the "oldest" planets in the Gates seeing that the "earth" is still yellow. :wink:

A 3-legged, 1 eyed mosquito? Glad it sucks on plants! :sick:

The foliage on top of the rock pile in the back really improved this. Nice work kabel!

Really like the luscious vegetation and the alien thing, which, I think is some kind of huge insect? I get a mosquito vibe as Kai NRG said.

Cute critter, and VERY alien while still feeling like it could have evolved (in some strange universe). Sometimes alien means that the creator doesn't feel organic or logical, but this one has a logic to it while still looking bizarre! Love that! The yellow rocks are something I've never seen before and that make the build SUPER weird, BUT I had to look second time to notice that's what's making it so weird, and I love that. A sort of tropical feel to the whole thing. One of my favorite builds of the week, to be honest. :thumbup:

Well thanks guys, glad you all like it! To be honest, I never had a mosquito in mind when I build this. I was much rather thinking of some weird kind of humming bird thing and it just happened to come together in my hands like this without me thinking much ...

@Zepher: you'd be surprised as to what weird rock formations geology has come up with on our own planet. Check this out for instance:

yellow2.jpg

Yellow Rock, Utah