Sign in to follow this  
Ferdinando

[Challenge 1] The one which sleeps in the asteroid belt

Tags: Science, exploration.

Dr.Arvan 'Yrich Arkov's personal log: "Here I am, on a secret flight headed to the rocky maze of Barker's Folly. I'm not allowed to speak to anyone nor exit from my cabin (cell?). All I was told is that I was needed for scientific advice about a strictly classified matter on that blasted asteroid belt, and that if I refused "they" would have been happy to neuralyse me. i wasn't exactly eager to leave my work on Guinevere, but I'll die before letting anyone play with my memory! And I even feel a bit of nausea; it never rains, it pours sulphuric acid."

General Vrayne: "Get up Doc, almost there!"

Dr.Arvan: "I had figured it out, thanks. I can't hear the propulsor hummng anymore. Is there any chance you'll let me peek through the window? Or is that forbidden too, as is " thinking too aloud"? 'Cause that's what one of your men said."

General Vrayne: "Sorry Doc, but this matter requires discretion. Though I think it's safe to let you have a look, here."

Dr.Arvan: "..."

General Vrayne: "Whaddya think?"

Dr.Arvan: "When did you find it?"

General Vrayne: "A few days ago. It hasn't moved since."

Dr.Arvan: "He's probably in some kind of self-induced suspended animation. Is it doing what it looks like it's doing?"

General Vrayne: "It looks so. That guy is eating Awesomnium."

18977419305_5078c42fca_z.jpg20150619_215617[1] by tropeaferdinando, su Flickr

18980461921_c5830af4ec_z.jpg20150619_215623[1] by tropeaferdinando, su Flickr

18789766780_a0a7dafd5b_z.jpg20150619_215627[1] by tropeaferdinando, su Flickr

18354857174_f745d40bc7_z.jpg20150619_215632[1] by tropeaferdinando, su Flickr

18789738550_cc89969650_z.jpg20150619_215650[1] by tropeaferdinando, su Flickr

18356786563_70a3b77835_z.jpg20150619_215657[1] by tropeaferdinando, su Flickr

18789720220_37f7190284_b.jpg20150619_215137[1] by tropeaferdinando, su Flickr

(I know the rules say "minimal overhang", but the tentacles would actually fit in the 24x24 base if the flexible tubes I used weren't... well, so flexible.)

Proof:

18951195206_1765f3e0b8_z.jpgProof by tropeaferdinando, su Flickr

I totally understad if the judges will disqulify this (though I hope not) and I thank them for this awesome challenge!

Edited by Ferdinando

That is cool and a great idea. Reminds me of a sort of squid. I like the micro ship for scale! I'm glad the story clarified it wasn't a skeleton with the white color.

I know white isn't the best colour for living beings, but it was the only one which looked right and I had enough of. The inspiration for this build came from the Knights of the Old Republic comics, where the Adascas discover a colony of exogorths (like the space slug of The Empire Strikes Back) in the Omonoth system. I basically mixed an octopus/squid with an exogorth. Thanks!

Holy Cthulhu Fhtagn... :oh:

That's gorgeous and terrifying and full of tenticles! My favorite combo! :grin: great work! It kind of resembles a skull, which I think is a great look, intentional or not! I'd hate to tangle with this bad boy when he wakes from his slumber!

That is not dead which can forever lie...

~Insectoid Aristocrat

After all, Lovecraft stated Cthulhu and co. had ARRIVED on Earth. Maybe they were from Andromeda :devil:

Oh gods! This better not turn into a cosmic horror story! :laugh:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Awesome build; I love the tentacles, and the way the creature seems to be embedded in the asteroid!

Oh gods! This better not turn into a cosmic horror story! :laugh:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

I think you mean, "Oh Elder gods!" :laugh: It's already a cosmic horror story - our characters just haven't figured it out yet!

Egads that's creepy! And huge in scale with the ship. I'd say let it sit there and eat its Awesomnium. Nice work!

I think you mean, "Oh Elder gods!" :laugh: It's already a cosmic horror story - our characters just haven't figured it out yet!

That does not bode well. :wink:

They never do, do they? Not until it's too late and they've already succumbed to madness...

~Insectoid Aristocrat

That thing is so cool! I love that it is feeding on the awesomnium, what a great idea.

Woah....that is just creepy! Fantastic shaping for that beast!

Really nice work, definitely my favorite from you yet!

A really great entry! The fact that this beast consumes awesomnium is certainly disconcerting!

Actually it's supposed to be in an asteroid belt, but it's definitely inspired by sea creatures. For some reason marine animals seem to fit well in space environments (think about the Neebray mantas in Star Wars or the Treasure Planet whales)

Thanks!

Fantastic asteroid creature! I love the contrast of white color against the gray rock and the creepy feel of it! :sweet: