Sign in to follow this  
Ferdinando

[M-B04] Genetic research on Barnius

Tags: Science

Dr.Arvan ‘Yrich Arkov’s personal log: “I’ve landed on Barnius yesterday. This world is beyond every expectation. Flourishing forests cover its surface, painting it of the vivid colours of alien spring; A similarly vivacious wildlife inhabits the woods. I’d eagerly spend the rest of my life contemplating this places… But I’ve got work to do. There are thousands of genomes that need transcription; and to make things worse, I have a student to look after. I was assigned an apprentice by the New Moscow University a few days ago who is currently busy annoying me, the unexperienced little idiot. At least I can make him do the dishes.” End log.

18410966039_d8b8338bbe_h.jpgBarnius 1 by tropeaferdinando, su Flickr

Dr.Arvan: “Parix, are you listening? Will you stop taking notes and actually following my explanation at once?

Parix: ”Sorry Doc, just trying to write down all these nitrogen bases. Not that they mean anything to me...ATTAGCATCGTATAGCCGZXHFXZ... And what do these Z and X And H stand for, by the way?”

Dr.Arvan: ”Parix, sometimes I think your neural cells are on strike. We’re 2.5 million light-years away from Earth and you’re surprised there are different biologic molecules? What really stuns me is that we have actually found all these adenine and thymine and so on. This is an unprecedented case of convergent evolution which you are totally ignoring!”

Parix: “Doc, it’s not that I’m ignoring it... I just find it a bit, er, boring.”

18570737286_54190df050_z.jpgBarnius 3 by tropeaferdinando, su Flickr

18599232751_e4feed01c5_z.jpgBarnius 5 by tropeaferdinando, su Flickr

Dr.Arvan: “Parix, look. There are millions of new species on this beautiful planet which are endangered by our interference. We’re aliens here, intruders; our very presence puts at risk the ecologic balance of this marvellous environment. That’s why we’re sequencing their DNA. Nothing must be lost. Does that sound boring to you?”

Parix: ”What?”

Dr.Arvan: “What are you looking at, you... oh, I see. Morning Ms. Alya, any new findings today?

18592609062_f1815c2be0_z.jpgBarnius 6 by tropeaferdinando, su Flickr

Ms.Alya: “Explorer SpacerSteve found this reptorslicer egg and sent it for analysis.

Dr.Arvan: “Excellent. By the way, I’d suggest you to steer clear from Mr. Starry Eyes, here. At least till I manage to get him killed by a carnivorous plant.”

Extra pictures:

18597096215_3d5ee2585e_h.jpgBarnius 7 by tropeaferdinando, su Flickr

18597084945_ccf8a0a1c0_z.jpgBarnius 8 by tropeaferdinando, su Flickr

18599214971_18c89f811e_z.jpgBarnius 9 by tropeaferdinando, su Flickr

18599203931_1bc85c657d_b.jpgBarnius 10 by tropeaferdinando, su Flickr

18599199381_d70a1f5dae_z.jpgBarnius 11 by tropeaferdinando, su Flickr

Edited by Ferdinando

I'd have liked to make a more precise M.A.N.T.I.S. logo, but my limited collection of lime green hasn't allowed me to make a better version.

Very cool, the logo is great and I love the forced perspective background.

Your builds are fantastic! So many great details - the DNA, the M.A.N.T.I.S. logo, the plants, the cables! :wub:

I wish your photos were a bit clearer so I could appreciate the details even more :classic: Have you tried using a tripod to steady the camera? You can get them fairly cheap, or even build a crude one out of Lego :wink:

Lovely details here! The Mantis logo is especially nice! I love the DNA discussion is great! Covergent evolution indeed!

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Beautiful lab! Great background and forced perspective! Absolutely fantastic brick built M.A.N.T.I.S. logo.

But...but...but...left-handed helix... :look:

Very nice build! The logo is awesome! I'm with Big Sal on the photography. :classic:

Thanks for the suggestion Big Sal! I have to resort to my tablet camera till I get a real one, but a brick-built tripod would be perfect to keep it steady. Great idea!