kabel

Snot Rock Tutorial

Nature actually has rock often come in horizontal layers, especially sedimetary rocks:

sandstone:

220px-Triassic_Utah.JPGl

imestone:

220px-Muschelkalk-Sediment.JPG

clay:

220px-Carpathian_flysch_cm04.jpg

So in order to recreate this in Lego, it's sometimes adviseable to build snot rocks.

As you can see in these mocs:

by me:

9891955844_d7bcbbc103_z.jpg

or by ZCerberus:

8690356383_ec351477e5_z.jpg

To build these is actually easier than you think.

At first I start with a plate, put a headlight brick on it's back and soround it with tiles:

15284946041_879f6c6983_n.jpg15288098925_42fd20a54f_n.jpg

I then attach some dark bley pieces to it. The second layer gets a plate inbetween so it's off a little:

15287694212_c70ab70fee_n.jpg15265052786_562d956485_n.jpg

After two brick and a plate I place another headlight brick on it's back to make things more stable and then add more layers:

15101367920_07ae3eae70_n.jpg15101312469_480329e8cd_n.jpg

In the end I add bricks with a sidways stud to the side and to the top in order to green the rocks:

15287687032_844d16282e_n.jpg15101375030_31b5c029b1_n.jpg

The final result could end up looking like this:

11870573094_1dfc8991bf_z.jpg

Good topic!

You are right, SNOTting rocks can give you some very realistic formations, and achieve some angles you wouldn't otherwise get - which is important if you want a lot of variety in your rockwork, like in these MOCs:

14129093798_3d504251dd.jpg

13968974060_6aa3414de0.jpg

SNOT rocks are easy this way. Often I don't even attach them to the rest of the MOC; I just kinda build them into place. Mix in some angled and studs up rocks, and you've got a realistic and detailed formation.

That being said, I'm not a huge fan of the random assortment of slopes in SNOT formation using stud bricks, looks to messy to me.

Edited by MassEditor

Finally there's a tutorial on this but I can't do this considering I don't have the part necessary for this technique. I'll just have to stick to large slopes, bricks, and cheese-slopes. :sad:

Thanks for the tutorial, Kabel! I've done a little bit of this in my MOCs. Sometimes it looks kind of awkward but I really like the examples. ME is kind of SNOTrock master and I like his way of mixing studs-up and SNOT.

That being said, I'm not a huge fan of the random assortment of slopes in SNOT formation using stud bricks, looks to messy to me.

Can you give an example for this?

This is awesome, kabel. Thank you so much for putting this together. :wub:

I'm looking forward to playing with this. Your tutorial definitely motivated me to start really getting into SNOT rocks, studying the work of the Great Masters, and working with the bricks.

MassEditor, that's a gorgeous example.

Edited by SarahJoy

well thanks for your positive feedback guys!

BTW, here is another way to start your snot rock:

in this case you basically build your dark bley pieces into the snot water/swamp like this:

15109377950_cbd815d0dd_n.jpg15296088095_7271598ed7_n.jpg

What I assume ME was referring to is that at the end of the rock section you end up with studs showing. But you can easily solve the issue by adding more slopes to the build.

15292932461_0317842e37_n.jpg15292931451_8ec3fb5a95_n.jpg

by placing inverted slopes you can actually creat the entrance to a cave. Note, white plates among the blue bricks could show the effect of breaking waves.

15109373940_b253738ff4_n.jpg15109495128_cc11d47fda_n.jpg

all in all you can see, that this techniques gives you a lot more freedom to come up with interesting rock constructions

Great work kabel!

I always imaged SNOT rocks being used when it appeared the rock had been worn away by water or some other horizontal type erosion, but it would seem sedimentary rock in general is prone to this type of look.

I am going to try mixing the SNOT and studs up technique on the next build as ME has done.

Mixing snot and studs on top rock formations are definetely the way to go. Playing around with the bricks for this tutorial has evetually lead to me buiding this moc which also shows a mixture of snot and studs on tup rocks:

15133750438_a46d47ddcc_c.jpg

It's also good to note that while normally soft rock grological formations are deposited horizontal, hard rock geological formations are commonly found at various degree angles, even 90 degree vertical. So buiding rocks at 45 degrees or straight up if your trying to represent granite, marble, slate or the like is very realistic as well. Soft formations can go at angle, however it is often through a process called folding. Not trying to downplay Kabel's info, just letting you guys know that horizontal, vertical, angled and even upside down are all realistic SNOT rock techniques.

If you read the first post, you'll see that I was mostly referring to sedimentary rocks. Granite, marble, basalt etc. are either metamphoric or igneous types of rock.

I'm currently teaching the basics of geology to an 11th grade Geography class, that's how I came up with this tutorial. So I better shut up now!

If you read the first post, you'll see that I was mostly referring to sedimentary rocks. Granite, marble, basalt etc. are either metamphoric or igneous types of rock.

I'm currently teaching the basics of geology to an 11th grade Geography class, that's how I came up with this tutorial. So I better shut up now!

I meant no offense just throwing out the some extra info. I'm a geologist working for an oil field company, though I don't think I could ever navigate the waters to teach classes. Not my thing but nothing but respect for the people who do. Quick term for sedimentary rock=soft rock, and for igneous/metamorphic=hard rock.

I meant no offense just throwing out the some extra info. I'm a geologist working for an oil field company, though I don't think I could ever navigate the waters to teach classes. Not my thing but nothing but respect for the people who do. Quick term for sedimentary rock=soft rock, and for igneous/metamorphic=hard rock.

Well thanks for telling me, I hand't known that before. Guess we wouldn't simplify things like that in German academic Geology, which is to say that I have no clue wether our field geologists wouldn't do so either. Anyway, it makes sense to me though :wink: