All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Here's my Class 2 entry based on a standard sloop: Spirit of Sir Edward - Class 2 Sloop R M G C $ H 2 3 0 0 5 2 Possibly my favorite build so far. C&C welcome!
  3. Vindicare

What happened with Functions/Play Features?

Well, I can confirm the Galaxy Squad set you mentioned is alive & well in 76114 Spider-Man’s Spider-Crawler, I just finished taking it apart. Just looking at what sets I’ve built recently, 70829 Escape Buggy has a launching feature, 70835 Rexplorer has a smaller shuttle that detaches from the main one. Pretty much every Superheroes set has at least one. They’re out there.
  4. KotZ

Heroica RPG 2.0

Yeah, that's why I mentioned faction equipment instead. Just spitballing. As for the percentile, it definitely has more of a DnD flair I think, and as you mentioned the problem is making it not too math heavy, as some QMs (namely me) have issues with math. And then consider the idea of having the proficiency levels, do you add more proficiences or levels? More levels would force nerf a lot if the game continued. I was thinking percentile for combat. Skills could be a simple pass/fail system or up to QM discretion. I'm thinking for a test quest I might not do percentiles, just because I don't feel too confident in how they would work yet.
  5. Guyon2002

Harry Potter 2019 - Rumors and discussion

Nope, just Star Wars and in-house themes
  6. Bricktober figures don't leak on their own, the only times something has leaked from a Bricktober pack it was a picture of the pack itself
  7. I feel like this is a deflection from someone who was called out. Haydn names Myrtle, so Myrtle votes for Braxton, the other option that Haydn pointed out. There isn't any thought behind it. The other thing odd about this vote is that Myrtle intentionally left out the fact that Haydn voted for Braxton. So Myrtle is actually voting with Haydn but doesn't really seem to want us to pick up on that. Vote: Myrtle Monkey Braxton's comments about the neutral display a lot of certainty, but the only certainty that anyone could have is if they were a neutral themselves. Our host called out that there are two mafia factions. It's reasonable for someone less familiar with convention to see that that Third Party characters are also called out and for someone to assume that they exist. Personally, I think that people are reading too much into Braxton's comment there and those accusing him for that are just being lazy. Myrtle appears to be the laziest offender. This from Braxton is something different. There's nothing helpful here. The vote is retaliatory with nothing to really explain why Haydn is scummy. Calling your behavior townie doesn't make it so. Voting only helps if you're going to explain your vote beyond "Might as well start the lynch". Why this lynch? On a slightly different note... that fabric for the bonnet isn't made from some kind of tortilla, is it? I do love me a good wrap. Might be better to take Whitby up on the fried chicken offer instead. I wouldn't want to eat Pernilla, no matter how delicious she looks, if she's some kind of oracular pig. Whitby?
  8. Heh, that’s a great idea! It looks pretty good. Excellent choice of minifigure. I imagine it went through quite the cleaning...getting that smell out takes some work I bet.
  9. Completed the first motorized version of my switch. Please let me know what you think of it.
  10. Lego David

What happened with Functions/Play Features?

There may be still plenty of play features, but I noticed how they tend to become simpler nowdays then the complex, large one we used to get. Such as this The Hive Crawler, has (IMO) one of the best functions ever, where when you move it, it's legs move, making it look like it's actually crawling, being an amazing audition to the already great set. Another example The Aerial Defense Unit has the function where you push a button and the twin rotors spin automatically. While this type of function may still be present in Technic sets, I never see it being used in System sets. So, while some functions are still present, they don't add much to the overall set, as compared to the two sets I mentioned above. Larger functions such as those rarely appear nowdays as far as I am aware.
  11. @Josephiah Thank you for your reply. Currently (and what is shown in the video), the switch and train do not interact with eachother. The train was simply programmed to run and switch direction when it noticed a the green tile (on the left, not visible in the video), a red or a yelow tile. Meanwhile, I was operating the switch with a PF remote control. But, the PF motor will be replaced (of course :-) by an EV3 motor connected to a second EV3. I also want to add sensors, to confirm that moving the switch went ok. Next, I will program the EV3's to communicate with each other. The idea is that there will be a monorail track on our layout with two reverse loops. The loops will each have a switch and the train will need to set the switch in the right position. One reverse loop will be at the delivery station, where the empty containers can be loaded onto the monorail. And the second reverse loop will be at the Candy warehouse, where the empty containers will be dropped. For this year, the (un)loading of the empty containers will be manually. It just saves time to walk between the two locations with the empty containers. Yes, I know this sounds lazy and yes, we are ... Of course, I'm thinking already how to get the empty containers automatically loaded onto the train and put back on the conveyor belt at the warehouse... but that's for next year. First things first, and that means for 2019 to finish the EV3 monorail. Enjoy, Hans
  12. bbqqq

Floating Lego display !!

Easy way to make floating Lego display. Lego + magnetic levitation platform(Delorean 21103).
  13. Today
  14. Accio Lego

Our hearts would sing, but our wallets would weep. I’m already super hyped about getting the advent calendar this year when just last year there were people saying it wouldn’t happen. It proves that Lego has noticed how popular Harry Potter is (has there ever been a licensed advent calendar for a theme other than Star Wars?) and it also gives Harry Potter a chance to stand on even footing with some of the biggest themes.
  15. New red differential and new red gear 16t with clutch does not work together so well as dark bluish gray combination due to symmetrical design of red gear with 16 tooth...
  16. I'll leave it to @Aanchir to provide a detailed, evidence-based response with statistics and examples, but I'd say play features have never gone away, and there are just as many of them now as there ever were. When I was growing up, the Lego sets I was most familiar with had hardly any "functions" at all, apart from cockpit hatches and storage compartments - for instance, look at the 1999 and 2000 waves of Star Wars. Those sets have no functions at all that I'm aware of. One of the things that most surprised me about the post-nadir renaissance in the late 2000s was its emphasis on mechanism-based play features in all lines, from original action/adventure/Space lines to Star Wars and City. I suppose I haven't paid much attention to such mechanical play features in the sets of the past few years, but I'd hardly call them absent. They're particularly abundant in medium-to-large Ninjago sets of the past three years, and the large Super Heroes airplanes and spaceships usually have some kind of mechanical functions. In Star Wars you have walker legs, exploding shield generators, swinging cargo hauler arms, mechanically-synchronized variable-geometry wings, steerable crawler treads, flapping porg wings, door mechanisms for Death Star chasms and rathtar containers, dropping bombs with nifty trigger mechanisms, etc. In City you get jets carrying retractable tail hooks, water-bomb dropping mechanisms, nifty cargo-grabbing mechanisms in large helicopters, geared counter-rotating drills, spring-loaded exploding jails, and so forth. The Benny Spaceship!!! has retractable wings; the Ultimate Batmobile splits in four parts; the Batwing from TLBM has nifty geared rotating engines and wings; the Rexcelsior has a nifty trigger mechanism for its spring-loaded shooters. The first Quinjet has a mechanism to drop a little drone; the second one has a mechanism to drop a motorcycle from the belly; the third one has a geared retractable gun. The mechanical play features of modern sets don't change the look of the set when engaged as dramatically as, say, the dropped wings on the Explorien Starship, the magnetically-secured modules in Aquazone and UFO, or the concertina movement of the cell pickups on Space Police 2, but they're just as clever and just as fun if you just pay attention to them.
  17. Grover

Book III - Avalonia: Guild sign-up and Discussion

I would say thanks to you as well, HQ. You are doing a great job keeping things moving here despite the low turnout for most activities. My life has moved back into its normal pace, so I'm left with about 1 hour a month to build; I've been lucky so far this year. I can still hop on the forums here because I have access on my phone, but getting actual access to my bricks is another thing entirely. Oh well. I'll keep on as best I can.
  18. Grover

Avalonia Mini-Challenge: Game of Thrones

Congrats! I think it's going to be a lot of fun to see de Gothia running around in other people's builds as the new king! And don't take it too hard, HQ. En_zoo had a brilliant build and was shutout by dG as well--I think dG was meant to be king. :-) Your build was great, and has inspired me to try to make some more expansive builds, or at least those that have an expansive feel like yours.
  19. Greaaaaattttttt just when I was about to pull the trigger on a sealed case
  20. When I was first watching reviews, I wasn't watching it to know whether the set is good or bad, but rather, I watched them to see what are the set's functions/play features. But I can't help but notice that nowdays fewer and fewer sets have those. Other than basic things such as stud shooters or spring loaded shooters, I barely see sets having functions. When I was a younger, I was very obsesed with functions. I watched whole reviews just to see what are the set's functions. But almost every time I watch a review now, I barely see any functions to the sets besides, of course of the simple ones I mentioned above. Even the bigger sets feature few (if any) of them. I know that most AFOLs don't care about them because they care more about displaying their sets rather than playing with then, but still, they used to be a important part of the sets that added a lot more play value for the kids. Does anyone know what happened?
  21. GryffindorResistance

Hopefully in 2020, Lego realizes that 1 wave of Potter just isn't cutting it.
  22. There are reports of sealed boxes missing characters An IG user says he didnt get the red duck boy and bought a sealed box of 60
  23. Dear Lego fans. I present you my new modular project on lego ideas. More pics of this project you can find here: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/bbe8e709-b049-4501-8266-39ea6a3f4c0a
  24. Many many thanks on your reply, I’ll put the red gear, however the red differential casing doesn’t look to “firm” a third gear.. Did I mis-install or uncorrectly install the red differential casing? Best Regards, Idris
  25. Kintobor

Heroica RPG 2.0

Percentile system for which mechanics? Combat? Skill checks? Everything? Call of Cthulhu has an interesting percentile system which may be worth looking into if that's the direction we want to take this.
  26. That's what it was. I gooot a wee tiny bit cooonfused. Oooh I'm funny! Vote: Braxton Bear Too much certainty for Day ooone.
  1. Load more activity