Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'sf71h'.
Found 1 result
Hello everybody, I'd like to share my latest project, an ~ 1:8 scale model of Ferrari's new Formula 1 car, the SF71H piloted by Räikkönen and Vettel. Features include: - PF-driven remote controlled driving and steering - custom stickers and tyre decals - functional crash structures (Halo, airbox, front and rear) - damperless suspension (more on that below) - realistic rake - bricks with Technic holes as "skeleton" The car is designed in the same manner as the Racers 2008 Ferrari (8157), though I completely started over with this MOC, I just use the same basic idea to get the whole car structurally stable and nearly flex-free. The Halo is the only non-Lego part I had to use because I don't have red flex axles, so instead I used part of a firetruck hose I found somewhere between old toys and stuck them onto 53451 mounted in holes next to the headrest section. The suspension is quite unconventional. I don't own the Technic F1 suspension bricks and I didn't feel like buying them, so I tried to build kind of an F1 style suspension without them. The front one is nearly the same as 8157's, only with a few adjustions, mainly in width. The rear unit is a standard double wishbone suspension with 9L liftarms, the driveshafts only have CV joints at the differential, not at the wheel carriers. This way, I was able to mount the Porsche wheels to the axle using truck rims to connect them. At first, I had the suspension fixed with all sorts of L-shaped technic bricks, but neither worked in holding the suspension high enough for the car to be tilted forwards or even even (^^). I didn't want to use shock absorbers because a) there is no space for them and b) if I would've mounted them directly, without pushrods, they would've stuck out, and I didn't want them to spoil the otherwise pretty clean look of the rear. The alternative I went for was mounting two 32140 Technic L-bricks to the upper wishbones with two black mounting pins, with the outer as a regular pin, while the inner pins are ones that are borken on one side so the whole thing could flex quite a bit. I then asymmetrically mounted a 13L liftarm between the tops of them to push them apart, and the flex made possible by the broken pins allows the whole thing to absorb pretty decent bumps. I also crashtested the Halo which can be seen at the end of this video. The official FIA Test used a 20kg tyre fired at the cockpit with 225 kph, so considering the scale of the model, my tyre should be about 7 m/s fast when hitting Halo. My highly scientific approach of making sure that is roughly case was to throw the tyre across the room, making it travel about 7 metres in less than a second. Scienced. Stickers were made by printing on photo paper, putting transparent duct tape on it and double-sided tape on the rear, no muscles strained there. For the tyre decals, I used my mother's Silhouette Cameo 3, a basic plotter, with yellow Oracal vinyl material that is usually used for car stickers. It's a bit of a pain in the brick to put them on the tyres and keep them there, but if they are really clean and dry and the glue on the vinyl is fresh and new, it can be done. I also used the rest of that material for decals on my little brother's -removed- Porsche for a livery he "designed" himself, here's a picture to show what else can be done with this method. Image removed. Finally, I'd like to give some impressions of the car, which can also be seen in the video, but the original pictures are higher res, so here they are. I know it's not perfect and I still improve it day by day, but I just had to share it now, so let me know what you think! Edit: recalculated scale due to new information available.