Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'locking outriggers'.
Found 1 result
After seeing @jwarner's excellent smalle crane and @Ludo Visser's WIP on a good looking undercarrage, I kept being reminded I still had one of these on my "to-do list". It's the last (I think) in what turned out to be a series for me of small versions of vehicles that are usally the big 4 "flagships" in Technic that return every couple of years. It features: - Boom lift by pneumatic cylinder - 1 stage boom extension - Rope (with old school 90's lock and also a hook from the 90's ) - 3 axle steering with different steering angle for the front wheels (bottom 12T bevel gear at the rear) - Working V4 (allthough a little out of sync, can fix that as soon as Lego actually makes parts to shift direction at this scale on 1 stud instead of 2 ) - Cabin tilt on the superstructure (through a worm gear controlled by 12T bevel on top) - Superstructure rotation (top 12T bevel gear at the back) - Outriggers (couldn't fit a central operating method so they are moved at the rear through the LBG crank shaft parts usually used for fake engines) Stuff I couldn't squeeze in no matter how hard I wanted to: - 2 stage boom extension (with 11L thin pneumatic cylinder). I tried, but with ropes in play I was looking at a 2 studs wide crane without a shell to give it ridigity, anything with 3 and 4 studs in width with the shell still felt very flimsy. And shortly after switching to a 1 stage boom with these 11x3 panels I really started to like that clean look on the crane vs the thin liftarm extravaganza I had in play earlier - A diff (or at least have the fake engine run in some form on both non-steering wheels). I barely managed to get 1 wheel driven. Had to use some ancient 90's Space Shuttle technique with a rubber band to get the stuff routed. I considered a blue clutch gear from the Chiron on the steering shaft, but besides that really killing my ground clearance it wouldn't fit up top thanks to the pneumatic cylinder. Why not leave the feature out? Can't do that when all the other mini's I made had fake engines. It was this or never getting finished pretty much - And as mentioned earlier: the outriggers being controlled by 1 knob. Couldn't route it to the rear, already crowded, the cabin in the front was blocked by steering angle of front wheels and crane up top. I am happy though that they at least can lock into place and lift the whole vehicle. And a couple of more images: Instead of messing with the length of the hubs on the 2 rear steering axles to get different steering angles, I shortened the front steering hubs by 1 stud to get a sharper angle with space lost in height (rear of the driver's cabin) but not in length. It's turning radius is pretty sweet, very small. Tried to get some details in the cabin, but they are missing half of their bottom seats thanks to the steering wheels. Also messed around a little with options to get the outriggers folded into the body as much as possible, not sticking out more than 1 stud up top and when extended looking at a decent angle. Hmmm, now that I am looking at this picture, perhaps I should swap the 4L thin levers for LBG or something to make the fake engine "pop" from the black chassis. Anywho, thanks for watching and reading.