Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'battery drill'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Frontpage, Forum Information and General LEGO Discussion
    • Frontpage News
    • Forum Information and Help
    • General LEGO Discussion
  • Themes
    • LEGO Licensed
    • LEGO Star Wars
    • LEGO Historic Themes
    • LEGO Action and Adventure Themes
    • LEGO Pirates
    • LEGO Sci-Fi
    • LEGO Town
    • LEGO Train Tech
    • LEGO Technic and Model Team
    • LEGO Mindstorms and Robotics
    • LEGO Scale Modeling
    • LEGO Action Figures
    • Special LEGO Themes
  • Special Interests
    • The Military Section
    • Minifig Customisation Workshop
    • LEGO Digital Designer and other digital tools
    • Brick Flicks & Comics
    • LEGO Mafia and Role-Play Games
    • LEGO Media and Gaming
  • Eurobricks Community
    • Hello! My name is...
    • LEGO Events and User Groups
    • Buy, Sell, Trade and Finds
    • Community
    • Culture & Multimedia

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



What is favorite LEGO theme? (we need this info to prevent spam)

Which LEGO set did you recently purchase or build?



Website URL








Special Tags 1

Special Tags 2

Special Tags 3

Special Tags 4

Special Tags 5

Special Tags 6

Country flag

Found 1 result

  1. I recently saw that MattL600 had built a battery drill, and I figured that I could do better so I gave it a shot. Turns out that I couldn't do it better, in a physical resemblance to the real thing, but I got all the functions crammed into it. I still only have the parts from all three sets that I mentioned in my other recent post, which was 42049, 42055, 42064 I would like to show the build progress and internals of the drill along with what I've learned throughout this project. I started by building the battery click function because if I couldn't get that to work I might as well not build it at all. As I didn't have any springs I had to think of something else, and I quickly discovered that the axles flex quite a bit longways, so that is how the clicky works. (Also see video at 2:10) Next up was the handle for the drill. I quickly discovered that the wire for the motor was not at all long enough to reach into the actual housing of the drill. If I had a PF switch I would have done that and that would also have saved me from a lot of hassle. I could have put a switch for the trigger if I had one, but I had to use a transmission ring for the trigger instead, as I wouldn't settle for the switch on the battery. After that was done, I started building the drill it self starting from the front end of it. I wanted it to have a clutch as the real thing - though fixed amount, not adjustable. If you watched the video you'll know that the gears inside burn out before the clutch. I reckon 1 clutch gear would've been enough but it didn't seem like it at the time so that's why I put 2 in there. Sadly, in order to get the selector switch (turntable) working properly, I had to chip away the small taps on the transmission ring for smooth switching. I know that there are 3l joiners made specifically for that so if I had all my LEGO I would just have used one of those instead. Knowing that, it should settle down all of you purists out there. This is also the part where I decided to put the speed switch as I figured that that's where there would be the most room for it. (sorry potato quality, but this is a screenshot from a video I made to my dad of progress. I don't have a picture otherwise) Coming up with a solution for the forward/reverse switch was not an easy task. I knew that I wanted levers like in the pictures above but getting the footprint down to just 1x2L was quite difficult. Also, nothing inside the housing is symmetrical so bracing everything properly became quite a task as well. I realized that in order to get room for the trigger I had to cut down the forward/reverse bracing as well. Up next was the final compartment, which proved to be the most difficult so far since I had to start/stop the drill with a transmission ring instead of a switch. And again, I had no spring so I had to use the tension of LEGO it self. The solution is simple but finding it was the hard part. In case you're wondering, the red and yellow axles were only there to remember myself as to where I should put my mechanical bracing to the rest of the drill. And that's pretty much it. I had some troubleshooting to do as well as one of the gears kept popping out. Luckily it was one of the "easy" ones to access. I ended up putting a triangle beam on top of it to keep it there. The drill in its full glory... or like, something anyway It holds its own weight all right, though the it's only held up by the 2 blue pins on the hanger. I know that it's not the coolest or most outstanding moc ever made, but I think it's a good start anyway. I might just make another drill in the future. One thing I learned from this project is to think outside of the box when the selection of certain parts is quite limited. For instance, there's only 2 each of these parts: I tend to use the yellow one a lot, so it's nice to get out of the comfort zone for a change. I also found the new 3L pin/axle combo and the pin on a bushing amazingly useful. I've been needing those parts for so many years and they are finally here. One other thing I learned was how to make limited spring like action with no springs. I also enhanced my skills in levers acting with each other (thinking of transmissions) That's pretty much it, thanks for watching. I won't take it apart for now as if there's something you would like to know, I can just disassemble it and show you on demand.