Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Loewy'.
Found 1 result
I've really wanted to make this model for a while. As these things go, it's been months from start to finish, but it's finally done! The Pennsylvania Railroad T1s were the last steam locomotives built by the Standard Railroad of the World. Designed in 1945 to replace K4 Pacifics built 20 to 30 years earlier, the 52 T1s had a controversial operational record at best. Most infamously, high power (nominally more than a Big Boy by some metrics!) and not so high adhesion (about half) often caused heavy wheel slip ( ) at speed, and along with it, heavy maintence costs. All were replaced by diesels and scrapped by 1956. In my opinion, the T1 is nonetheless one of the most beautiful steam locomotives of all time - Raymond Loewy's streamlined casing is a masterpiece. But, in the great tradition of strealined casings, it seems they were gradually shed throughout the years. I am modelling #5503, as per the model below. While she was originally delivered without the wheel fairings and with the blunter nose cone, the "breadbox" under the nose was reduced in size only after she entered service. 5503 is built at a scale of about 16.5" per stud (slightly smaller than my previous 15" per stud models because things just work out better that way). This makes her an 8-wide model, and her 86 studs of length include 47 of locomotive, 36 of tender and 3 studs in between. The locomotive is articulated 4-4-4-4, FF-BF-BF-F(sliding)F, the tender rides on 4-axle trucks with 2 sliding axles in the center of each, and the whole lot actually runs very well through curves, switches, and everything in between. This is the first train model that I've built with the aid of LDD. I say "with the aid" because in practice I end up switching between virtual and physical prototypes to make sure that some virtual edit still clears real switches or curves. Overall it was very convenient! Having tested and rejected the old Lego CAD programs many years ago, I was pleasantly surprised by the shallow learning curve of LDD, and I'd definitely recommend trying it if you haven't. Some other construction details I'd like to highlight: Working drive rods and connecting rods (thanks Mr. Sava!) SNOT internal structure in the boiler Inverted 1x4x1 panels for the "shoulder" above the boiler 1x4x2 fence for the grill in the "breadbox" (thanks jtlan!) Tilted firebox and SNOT cab walls SNOT panels for the "skirt" of the tender And while I don't have the pf equipment for the tender on hand, it is "pf ready"... meaning there is designated space for the motors, battery box, and receiver. Because of the complications in building and fitting the 4-axle bogies, this is also the first train MoC in which I've built the tender before the locomotive. All stickers are printed on generic 3M adhesive shipping label paper. I was aware of Mr. Sava's T1 model prior to developing my own, though I wanted to develop my own interpretation, so I tried to look at it as little as possible. Ultimately I think it turned out quite well, though I have to give credit for the tile rods - I couldn't get anything to work with Technic 1x1s and cross axles. As with any Lego model, there are bound to be tradeoffs. Among other things: The second cylinder is a full stud back of where it should be in order to accommodate the working rods. The "piston rods" more closely model the track in which the rods travel, also in order to accommodate the motion The curve above the nose is far too steep, but I think a steep rounded roof expresses it better than a shallower, stepped assembly The scale is 10% smaller than all of my previous locos And the full gallery once moderated. Videos to come... eventually. Thanks for looking!