Well, I've been lurking on these forums for a while. Time for me to contribute.
Since a few weeks, my daughter and me have had a (modest) train layout with a cargo train, a passenger train, three sets of switching tracks and a decent amount of track.
Having been an avid lego builder in my younger years, I really love sharing this with her.
Anyway, because we were both eager to add some excitement to the setup, I decided to sacrifice two straight pieces of PF track and make a track crossing (whoa, accidents!).
How I did it:
The first of the two straights was cut in three pieces by cutting out a track section one stud wide on the 6th position, on both sides.
Next, the center piece of this chopped up straight was disposed of its side studs.
The second straight was also butchered by removing its central 2x2 and both of its central 2x1 side studs. Four more studs were removed on its sides as can be seen on the image.
In addition to that, four grooves were carved out of this second straight.
Tools used: a sharp knife, a miniature circular saw blade (on a Dremel clone) and a miniature grinder on the same Dremel. No glue whatsoever.
It took a while to do this (+- 1 hour).
To help making the cuts on the right place, I sacrificed two of my old lego 8x1 flats: it is quite convenient to click one of these on the piece of track right where it needs to be cut. The sawblade can then glide along them.
(Honestly, the sacrificed pieces already suffered a dog attack in the early nineties. So it's not really a big loss )
Everything fitted together:
And by means of some 2x2 plates (I should probably get some bluish grey ones ), all the parts are connected:
The result was added it to our layout and I must say that this piece makes the track a whole lot more interesting when trying to drive two PF trains around.
With all the crashes we have had so far, I must say it's a good thing we still have my old faithful eighties firefighter helicopter around.
Note: I did not consider buying a 4519 since I can't really justify its ~25€ price tag (used) for my PF setup.
And of course it was just a nice silly project I enjoyed doing .