Here's my x-wing story.
First of all I want to thank and praise Jerac for this amazing design. It looks stunning and the way it’s put together leaves me utterly speechless. Standing ovation, incredible piece of art.
I choose to build the red-5 version. The building process itself was extremely rewarding and I got it all finished pretty easily. The hardest part for me was attaching the top part of the nose fuselage (page 94, step 11). As I got the other end attached, the other end popped loose. I had to adjust it maybe 5 or 6 times before I got it right, so in the end even that wasn't excessively tricky.
And here's a photo of my finished beauty.
It's pretty much like the original design. Only a few subtle changes here and there. The most visible one being the larger engine exhausts. To my eye they were originally a little bit too "skinny". I have this 30-year old x-wing model kit and when I compared the exhausts of the lego design to my old model kit, they were more or less the same size even though the lego design is otherwise bigger. Yeah, I know the exhausts might be a little too big now, but somehow the overall silhouette of the ship pleases my eye even more this way.
Here’s a picture to demonstrate the size comparison.
Next I'm planning to purchase the parts for Jerac's tie-fighter. I already bought the instructions and can't wait to get to build it and have it displayed next to my oh-so-precious x-wing.