PlastiBots

Eurobricks Vassals
  • Content count

    14
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About PlastiBots

  1. I managed to snag a 42070 at Costco.ca for $260 CAD. Ordered Thurs, got it next day. Now they are gone... Seems like it was only up this past week. Steal of a price given all other stores were selling for $370 CAD
  2. Saw that yesterday.. Took the plunge on the 42070 despite the not-so-hot reviews. I figure this price makes the value more reasonable. Undecided if I'll keep it shelved as a collectors item, or build it.. Just wish Costco would add the Porsche to their inventory! For others, the Class (42054) has been at $169 for a few weeks now. Back in Aug, then dropped it to $159 and I managed to grab a unit before the price bumped back to $169. Great set at a great price. Edit: Dont forget that Walmart.ca has an AdMatch policy, so you should be able to get the price matched. Keep in mind Costco shipping is included!
  3. Nice work. Would like to see some closeup pics of the suspension linkage. Like the steering approach with the actuator too.
  4. Links are not working
  5. You can build the original Chili Crawler (see OP). Unfortunately time is tight these days for me to create instructions. Once I have it complete, I'll post close-up pics. I know it's not ideal. If I get time, I may take a stab at instructions for the front unit (back is a mirror img of it). FYI - not sure if you are referring to my BluCrawler, but to clarify, I don't yet have the option to switch from FWD to AWD. If I get time to make a V2 of my BTBox with 4 ports, I'll then be able to do that.. Pretty sure you can already do this with SBrick though..
  6. Re the wishbone pieces.. Not quite.. If you read my write-up, I noted that although the movement is more limited than the ball joint approach, there is still side-to-side movement. I did this by allowing the thinner side to slide along the axle. The inherent play between a 1/2 wide unit and an axle + it's ability to slide along the axle provides enough play that I am satisfied. If you look closely at the pics above, you can see this spacing. Notice the beige axles are allowed to side. It sure beats the prior ball connectors coming apart during stressful twisted climbs.
  7. Absolutely. XL motors were in the original build.
  8. Some updates. I've replaced the ball link units with wishbone units to allow for more solid connections between the drive units and the cab. These are held together using axles and Technic toothed bush sets to make it solid. I also have some pics of the Servo steering system.. Nothing special there really. As expected, it does not allow for much throw, so I am mirroring the front and back drive units to allow dual steering.. It's also going to make me think about enhancing BTBox with 4 ports to give me better control over steering modes (i.e. crab steering)!! I'm maintaining details of changes with more pics on my blog: BluCrawler. Some teasers below... Almost there..
  9. My bad. Correction. I'm using L Motors. Would upload pics but the site is limiting me to 30kb pic upload!? Am I in the 80's? 😁 I supose it's because I'm a noob...
  10. So, I've done some more mods to BluCrawler: - Converted drive motors from XL to M Motors and modified the gearing to handle the lower torque of the M's - In doing so, I've pretty much rebuilt the drive unit. - Beefed up the (4) connecting link points (to the cab) for both front and back. Sometimes when crawling they would pop out. Also beefed up the suspension link mounts. - Converted front steering to using the servo motor. Issue is that it does not provide enough throw, so I've decided to mirror the front and rear drive units. Both will steer with a servo motor each. I just finished the unit and am waiting for the new servo motor to arrive. Will post pics and a video when done.
  11. Ahhh.. I can't wait to see how you could actually make this thing better! I've been thinking of a few mods that I want to try. 1) Seeing if a Servo Motor would work for steering (not sure if it has enough torque) 2) beefing up the front beam units that connect the black (forget their names) links to the cab unit.
  12. After coming across PunkTacoNYC's Chilli Crawler and building one myself, it led me down a path of building my own Bluetooth controller (yes, I'm aware there are others out there :-). I've done a full write-up over at my blog. Check it out if interested.
  13. @PunkTacoNYC this is a very cool MOC and thanks for waking me up from my Technic slumber. I built one using your instructions. Called it BluCrawler - creative name, I know... Since I only had the LEGO PF IR remote and receiver, which is not that hot, I decided to make my own Bluetooth controller. Not using SBrick or BuWizz as I wanted to customize using Blynk and write my own sketches in Arduino. Check it out if interested.