AutoBacon

Eurobricks Vassals
  • Content Count

    30
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by AutoBacon

  1. Yes, I did prototype a chassis :D It is quite compact and doesn't leave much room for a battery though. I imagine if this was a pickup truck, the battery could be mounted in the bed, or perhaps a Buwizz battery could fit lengthways along the length of the chassis. It is just about Wrangler sized (I think it's one stud longer), so that body could be plopped on top, but you are right, it might look like a bit of a monster truck due to the high shock mount position at the front, and there certainly wouldn't be room for a fake engine.
  2. For the rear axles, I really liked the idea of replicating the dual drive lines which I think would be really cool, and if anything, would distribute the motor load across more cv joints for better reliability. So I started with a mock-up, to see if there would actually be room. Straight away I decided that I would need to use some shortened suspension links (4 studs) to achieve the desired spacing. I also liked the idea of using the soft axles as leaf springs but they seemed too complicated to mount and would require an additional torque arm to stabilize the axles on both axis. I decided the drive system was viable. The hard part would be making the axles stiff enough. After a few iterations, I decided that the topmost links that would form the 'leaf' would also need to be shortened by a stud, which shouldn't be too laborious with a blade and file. Again, the axle is subject to a real-world build test, however, I am quite satisfied with the general design. The first axle is slightly less stable than the rear due to only being connected to the top beam by 3 studs rather than 4, which is to allow room for the second drive line to pass through. I did some basic tests and I think the front and rear bracing between each 'hub' using the 7L thin liftarms should be sufficient. The mounting of the central pillar to the frame rails will probably have to be improved a little to increase rigidity. The only concern, apart from the usual overly soft suspension, is the tires rubbing on the frame during full travel. I'm hoping only one stud of travel should mean the axle doesn't pivot too much. I quickly mocked a simple geartrain to get the drive shafts rotating in the correct direction, and here is a rough assembly: Next will probably be figuring out how to mount the motors in a reasonable way. I'd like them to be central in the chassis, perhaps the steering motor under the hood and the drive motor behind it, all concealed by the cab, and the battery box positioned behind the cab next to the spare wheel. Thanks again for reading and any thoughts are appreciated. Also, if anyone is interested in throwing together one of the axles in real life that would be amazing :D
  3. Yes, you are right about this. Two friction pins are what keep the two parts from separating. Once I have some physical parts and the chassis is rolling I will have to test its rigidity, I'm really not sure how to get around this. I tried some stronger designs but they all result in a 1 stud higher profile. We will see how the rest of the build goes and see if its a major problem. I don't have the dimensions of the real wheel so I'm not sure about the scale, however, given the size of the tires used in the blueprint I found, it would seem a total width of 14 studs for the axle and 15 for the widest part of the body (the cargo bed). Upon closer inspection, it looks like we are using different blueprints :D
  4. I've been experimenting with compact, driven, and steered axles to suit the 56x26 Wrangler tires for a while now, and here is one of the final designs I came up with, as well as a 'matching' rear axle. Both are 4 link and use only heavy-duty cv joints. I built it into a chassis with an M motor for steering and L for drive and it has plenty of performance, suspension travel and a really decent steering angle.
  5. Loving the design story! I've been experimenting with driven & steered axles at this scale for a little while. The main issue for me was avoiding wheel flex, especially with a heavier model, the small deflection causes the wheels to walk off the short cv joint axles. I was just wondering how your final design copes in that situation, as it appears quite flexible given the steering pivot arm is only half a stud thick and hinges on a frictionless pin.