WhiteFang

REVIEW: 71008 LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 13

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 13   

189 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this entire Series 13?

2. 2. How do you find this review? Do you find it helpful and useful?

• 1 - Very helpful and useful
    • 2 - Somewhat helpful and useful
    • 3 - Little helpful and useful
    • 4 - Not helpful and useful at all
  3. 3. Do you enjoy the special interview coverage with the TLG CMFs Design Team?

4. 4. Do you like the distribution allocation number based on the designs for Series 13?

• 1 - Yes, I love it
    • 2 - Neutral and it made no difference to me
    • 3 - No, I hate it

Well, I didn't expect to see a review of this series so quickly! But it's certainly got me excited as this series seems to have more CMF's of interest to me than ever. It's just such an annoyance that they're £2.50 a piece now :cry_sad:

But anyway, while I really dig the capes of the Classic King and Evil Wizard, the design of the Alien Trooper, the cobra in the Snake Charmer and that new space armour on the Galaxy Trooper, what's the real highlight for me?

A 1x1 round tile printed with an ammonoid ammonite :wub:

As a female palaeontologist myself (I studied palaeontology extensively at university), I will absolutely HAVE to get myself a Female Palaeontologist minifigure first. It's such a shame that they're only 3 to a box so getting good quantities of the printed fossil tile might be tricky/expensive. They would make good additions for a fossil museum or excavation MOC

And funny thing is - I was just thinking about printed fossil tiles the other day (though more Archaeopteryx on a 2x2 tile really), so seeing this has just made my day.

But all in all, an excellent series, probably the most interesting of all the series so far to me. Good job LEGO :thumbup:

Thanks Whitefang for this excellent review. I always like them and they get better and better.

And an interesting interview, it gives a lot of information how Lego creates and produces a CMF line. Cheers!

Edited by Tuinman

Thanks again to you 'Fangy' for an awesome review of series 13......ah, good to see more of what I want to get in larger numbers than ones that interest me at all. :grin:

On looking at the new galaxy trooper......I said hello, Halo or 'Nuke 'me Rico' ! :laugh:

Again my favorite is the carpenter......looks like the guys I see buying tools at the same tool stores I shop at ! :laugh:

Though I hate to say this but, that tool belt is too low and should sit waist height like mine.......not half way down your legs. :wink: Interesting to see carpenter's pincers in his belt.....I trying to remember seeing them at a tool store recently and i can't. :wink: I wonder if they should have included a pencil between hard hat and ear......like most chippies do. :wink:

The evil wizard.......come on it's Ming, the designer must have watch Flash Gordon to get inspiration right ? :laugh:

Those are one's I going to buy......lots of carpenters and troopers plus one Ming......Flash Gordon MOC's are coming ! :laugh:

Thanks for the review. The only item that interests me is the kings pelt. i am glad that it can be combined with capes in every color.

^Not as seamlessly, since the cape is new for the King.

Great review. I am assuming no rubber parts, but it's never mentioned. I'm glad to see that the Diva and Lady Cyclops got back printing. The Alien Trooper's was a pleasant surprise.

Thanks for the great review. Some good looking minifigures for sure. I'm disappointed that the two I like most, Hot Dog man and the Unicorn, are less common in the box. Can't wait to add them to the collection.

Thanks for the review, and extra special thanks to everyone involved in providing the interview, especially Tara and WhiteFang themselves.

As usual this is another knockout series, and once again I plan to get at least one of each figure. Unfortunately I just can't get as many of each as I'd like, and ever since I accidentally wound up getting just one of the Series 8 minifigure I wanted more of than any other character from the series (combined with just trying to allocate more of my money to other themes and sets), I haven't gotten nearly as many minifigures from the last few series as I have from the first six or seven. But somehow I've managed to get at least one of each from all the numbered series (save for Series 10's Mr. Gold), and I plan to continue with these.

I'd really love to find these a little early, as there are a couple minifigures in this series I'd like to put in my fiancée's Christmas stocking.

Great review and insightful interview. Not to mention the solid figure distribution this time around. I'll be getting them all!

For accessories, I'm giving the Hot Dog Man a sausage and a brochure and the Unicorn Girl the purple boombox. I don't know, I feel it fits. Either that and/or ice cream.

The Galaxy Trooper is amazing. Love the dual wield pistols, love the printing on the armor and helmet, and his expression is so brash!

I'm surprised the King's cape was two pieces, but now I'm relieved. That ermine is so versatile.

Glad to see all the back printing, even though the Paleontologist didn't get any.

Also love the holster printing on the side of the Sheriff's leg.

I'm also glad to see so many recycled parts in new colors, such as the skates, the beards, and the swords!

Edited by telaruhn

Thank you WF for this beautiful and outstanding review! :thumbup:

Even if such reviews have to be long (covering 16 "products"), yours are very well made, fun to look at and great to read. I like the categories group shots between the series (like the Western group). It's fun to see every group expanding more and more each time a new series is made. We're starting to get quite a lot of minifigures now!.. There are some I didn't even remember (a girl genie, a viking, a musketeer!?) Did I miss something? :laugh:

My favourites are now the paleontologist (It was also my dream job), the fencer, the samurai and the galaxy trooper. I may get one or two between these...

The interview was very interesting, too. It's true that there seems to be an infinity of possibilities for minifigures!

I just love these, the carpenter is awesome and I will be buying multiples of him. The wood printing, the tool belt legs, the hand saw and that nice polo shirt (which IMO would work great as a uniform for employees of a hardware store or one of those companies that comes around to your house and does handyman type jobs or even just a shirt for a weekend DIYer). Its pretty much exactly what I had in mind when I pictured a carpenter CMF. About the only thing I would have done differently is to print a hammer on his tool belt (since carpenters need hammers...)

Wow! I love the addition of the interview, and probably for the first time ever, I think the distribution is great.

I also might change my mind that the cyclops is the worst... the disco diva might just be. Thankfully, only three of each to the box.

Edited by fred67

What is this, three days after the line is leaked that Fang has the full review? Wow, you work fast.

Everything looks amazing. I hope to get at least two of the fencers, and maybe even make a model of my fencing club. Also, as Dr. Spock pointed out, the fencer's weapon is probably an epee, given the size of the bell guard.

Thank you WhiteFang. Truly a wonderful review as always. I think I look forward to these more than almost anything else on the site. And the interview is fantastic. :wub:

As for the figs? overall I am pleased an excited. A lot of figs that play into my interests this go round, and a ton of neat parts.

1. The King - A great looking new King, finally with a different crown. I love the ermine cape. While I am not crazy about the modern style hair and crown molded piece, it looks way to cool not to love it. Here's hoping we get it in blonde soon as well.

2. The Sheriff - A not unexpected figure after we got his Robot version in TLM series. He looks great. Nice to get another mustache and a printed 10 gallon hat. Lot's of uses for him and all the Western characters. (One of these days I really need to map out a full "Westworld" MOC with the three zones. "Westworld", Futureworld" and "Medievalworld". Let the Robot Revolution begin!

3. Unicorn Girl - OK? I can see this one being insanely popular amongs the population of small female lego fans and bronies. It is kind of neat. I like the headpiece. I just fear that a certain portion of my modular town is starting to look disturbingly like some sort of Furry convention?

4. Snake Charmer - I am mixed on this one. I like the figure. I like the parts. But it is kind of dull, and a little will go a long way. I can see lots of interesting uses for the face torso and turban however. And the snake just begs for an Indiana Jones scene.

5. Goblin - :wub: :wub: :wub: A near perfect figure. I need an army of these guys.

6. Paleontologist - A nice little figure. You can practically hear her voice in your head already. Heck unless I am mistaken between her, the cave girl, some of the previous offerings and a few characters from the adventurers line we have just about the full cast of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's "Lost World" stories. Once again, do not need many of these. The hair hat combo makes using the parts broadly tough, although it is a great female torso and legs.

7. Alien Trooper - I love this guy, and I think WhiteFang is wrong about him. His armor color is more in line with Alien Conquests EDF or even Classic Space. I think we have just found Galaxy Commands quirky alien co pilot and sidekick. And he's a cute little C'thulu. Forget that whole "God is My Co Pilot" thing. We're flying with one of the "Old Ones". Seriously I love this figure. I'll take a dozen please. The uses are enormous. Besides the obvious Classic and Modern Space and Army building, you have a great head for horror type C'thullu MOC's, or a Dungeons and Dragons Mindflayer. Or an Atlantis MOC. Simply wonderful.

8. Egyptian Warrior - I am thrilled at another historical character. And the parts are great. But I am not sure why but this one just doesn't grab me the way it should. I can see some great army building potential, I just can't work up the need for an Egyptian Army I guess. Some cool pieces and I want a dozen of those shields.

9. The Carpenter - I will have a hard time keeping any of these. My father in Law is a master carpenter. So everyone in the family will immediately steal them. But I love this fig. He just has such nice simple character. One of the best they have done.

10. Evil Wizard - Oh yeah can I find a home for him. And stupid question, am I remembering it, or is this guy real close to the villain from Clutch Powers? I also love that the printed robe pieces have a slight almost asian feel to them, so this guy will work well not just with Castle, but with Ninjago. For some reason he keeps making me think of the bad guy from Big Trouble in Little China? The printed cape and collar is amazing. :wub:

11. The Fencer - A neat helmet. But otherwise probably my least favorite fig of the series. Just kind of dull. And I even have a Modular Dojo in my city that I can stage a fencing class in. Maybe he will grow on me.

12. Female Samurai - I love the concept of this figure. I love the torso and legs. I have always kind of hated that classic Samurai Armor piece, and I really wish they had taken this as an opportunity to update it. At least they nicely printed it this time. I just hate that much like the Nya / Samurai X figures they ugly armor obscures the much better printing. The armor also never looks right without having the matching helmet sloping down to those broad flat shoulders. The same old "asian girl" hair piece just looks out of place with the armor. I seem to remember that somewhere in the parts catalog there used to be a version of this armor without the shoulders. printing on that piece with some minor arm printing would have looked much much better on her. I'm also not crazy about the face on this one. Why does she seem to be snarling? A double sided face with a more neutral or happy expression would have really helped.

13. Disco Diva - Wow! That's ummm... well that certainly is a look. It's like every possible 70's stereotype wrapped up in one tiny minifig. All at once. And it is oddly glorious for it. A little of this fig goes a long way. But just a few are marvelous.

14. Hot Dog Man - Sooo apparently weed is legal in Denmark? Because that is by far the most likely explanation for this fig. The art department is stoned and has the munchies at 3am. And yet it is glorious. You almost want an army of these things. Just Lego design folks, if you are reading this. Someone please publish the minutes from the design meeting where somebody pitched "Giant Hot Dog Man" because that has got to be a fascinating conversation.

15. Lady Cyclops - So now we know where baby Cyclopses come from? An interesting figure that honestly I don't think anybody ever asked for, and would not have been upset to have ever known about. Obviously Lego re using the head mold. and "hey look it counts as diversity!". I am so proud that Lego is putting forth more "women of color" minifigs. Really the most (ok only) interesting thing about this fig is the head with the giant eyeball with eyelashes. That will find some very very bizarre uses. The torso and legs might be useful as a twileck in a MOC.

16. Elite Galaxy Trooper - I WANT THEM ALL! Just gimme! Yeah this will be my Army Builder target this go round. I love the armor mold. Although I am not crazy about the silver printing on it. It looks a bit grainy. (silver never prints well). Also slightly disappointing is the blank torso under the armor. But still the Master Chief is in the building. Lock and Load people! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Overall this series seems a bit more genre and theme specific, and not quite as generic or of more broad city use than the last few. Since I mostly dable in genres and fantasy themes I kind of like that, but I can see where the City and Civilian fans will not be as thrilled this go round.

Great review and interview

I kind of adore the distribution ratio, as I`ll be hunting mostly after the Goblins and Egyptians anyways, with a single wizard and charmer on the to get list for the rest.

Time to count of the days until my box comes around...

Another top notch review and great inside interview Fangy and Belun. Thanks for taking the time to produce another winner!

Great Review White Fang, thanks! Can't wait for this new series to be out, seems like a good distribution too :)

Wow, that review came really quick! Like I said in the other discussion topic, I loooooove that Goblin. Other highlights/must-haves are the King and the Egyptian Warrior. I really want a small army of those warrriors. I bought 10 pharaos at the time those were released, to build me an Egyptian army, so I'm really glad I can finally have some "real" soldiers.

One thing I've noticed, though (but maybe I'm just imagining things): the printing seems really basic and sparse compared to some of those previous series. But like I said, maybe it's just me imagining things :tongue: .

I'm also a little disappointed at the lack of printing on the Galaxy Troopers torso. They did it with Galaxy Patrol, even though it is covered up.

I'd put the accessories for the hot dog guy as poor, not average. Average would be one accessory. Having nothing is poor. They could have at least included a sausage or a 1x1 round tile and two plates to make a burger. Or a 2x2 tile with a menu on.

Well, I want at least a few of the Disco Diva, those purple printed legs with the chain belt? A few other parts later and I have a goth girl to hang out with my many other 'alternative' folks!

The Egyptian Warrior is a nice addition and plenty of parts will look great for new Adventures!

Thanks for the review and for the interview, Fangtastic work as always!

Many thanks to you all for taking your time to compose your thoughts and comments in this review. It is very important to hear what you guys feel towards the new Series 13, reviewing content, distribution ratio and the exclusive interview too. All of which, so far are generally major positive sentiments with plentiful of excitement. I am equally elated as well and it is truly great to know how you guys think about it! :wub:

If I have missed out any of your heart-burning questions, please feel free to leave it here and I will address the questions to my best knowledge.

Fast as always. The major thing I'm not happy with is the neglection of certain colors for the package , though it's not the main point.

It should not be the main focus to get it coated in purple. :tongue:

My personal question for the Minifigures Team is the controversial (maybe) introduction of special/licensed series. I'd like to know whether they're also in charge of the special/licensed minifigures or they have to work in a matrix team? Does it affect their working period since it must take about 3 months for the team to develop and they're not allowed to go back to normal series as soon as they want?

As for the online game, does the original characters from the current MMO come from their design that might be in a future series?

Well, it is not quite possible for them to answer this question and I can't provide an actual answer but merely able to provide my own opinion. Generally they do plan within three months framework and they have more or less conceptualise the designs for the future series way before including licensed.

Why do lego stiff us on the back printing? I just don't understand why a lego standard for decades now gets lost in these CMF waves. Penny pitching really annoys me.

Traditionally, back-printing is never made as a standard feature to be included in the design of the minifigures. It is a bonus feature to increase the detail of the minifigure's design.

And I have to say, the interview is even more interesting than the review itself - no offense, WhiteFang! :) It is so great to hear about designing process.

Glad to hear that! Same sentiments as well, especially on the design process. :grin:

Excellent review. I think the fencer's weapon is more like an epee. Rapiers aren't used in official FIE competitions or FIE sanctioned.

Thank you dr_spock. You are definitely right. I think it is more of an epee than a rapier.

So the only rubbery pieces are the King's beard and the Sheriff moustache.

Yes, plus the Unicorn Girl's tail.

Do the King and the Evil Wizard have back printing?

Nope, they don't have back-printing.

Excellent review! Do you think you could give us a picture of the back of the Egyptian shield? It looks like it would fit well for a knight if printed over and flipped upside down!

No promise, but I will see what I can do to provide this image to my best possible means.

Thanks so much for another great review and fabulous set of photographs! You make taking pictures of minifigures look easy but I know from experience that it's actually pretty hard.

It is a long tedious process indeed but it is definitely worth it.

Can you please convey our thanks to the CMF design team for all the excellent work they do? I know we gripe and grumble quite a bit, but actually we genuinely appreciate the talent and commitment required to bring these guys to fruition. I for one hope that the CMF line never ends. As long as there are Castle/fantasy minifigures in the mix, you can bet I'll be getting them.

Yes, AmperZand. I will certainly convey your thanks on behalf of our EB Community to the LEGO CMFs Design Team. They truly rocks and I pray and hope that this LEGO CMFs theme will never end.

As a female palaeontologist myself (I studied palaeontology extensively at university), I will absolutely HAVE to get myself a Female Palaeontologist minifigure first. It's such a shame that they're only 3 to a box so getting good quantities of the printed fossil tile might be tricky/expensive. They would make good additions for a fossil museum or excavation MOC

Real cool and I am truly amazed by your profession as well. Glad to know that you have found a fitting minifigure to represent you to the best.

Great review. I am assuming no rubber parts, but it's never mentioned. I'm glad to see that the Diva and Lady Cyclops got back printing. The Alien Trooper's was a pleasant surprise.

As mentioned earlier in the comments, the Unicorn's tail, Sheriff's moustache and the Classic King's beard. These are rubber pieces.

Thanks for the in-depth review. Where can one buy a box when the series comes out? Lego shop? Thanks.

You might want to check at your local toy stores other than LEGO Brand Stores, to see if they can allow to sell you a sealed box over the counter.

Even if such reviews have to be long (covering 16 "products"), yours are very well made, fun to look at and great to read. I like the categories group shots between the series (like the Western group). It's fun to see every group expanding more and more each time a new series is made. We're starting to get quite a lot of minifigures now!.. There are some I didn't even remember (a girl genie, a viking, a musketeer!?) Did I miss something? :laugh:

It truly amazed me that the magical touch of the LEGO CMFs is the continuous improvement of adding new designs into the theme array. That is just amazing to see how it have expanded to form a sub-theme based on purely LEGO CMFs design.

I just love these, the carpenter is awesome and I will be buying multiples of him. The wood printing, the tool belt legs, the hand saw and that nice polo shirt (which IMO would work great as a uniform for employees of a hardware store or one of those companies that comes around to your house and does handyman type jobs or even just a shirt for a weekend DIYer). Its pretty much exactly what I had in mind when I pictured a carpenter CMF. About the only thing I would have done differently is to print a hammer on his tool belt (since carpenters need hammers...)

I agreed with you on the usefulness of the Carpenter.

7. Alien Trooper - I love this guy, and I think WhiteFang is wrong about him. His armor color is more in line with Alien Conquests EDF or even Classic Space. I think we have just found Galaxy Commands quirky alien co pilot and sidekick. And he's a cute little C'thulu. Forget that whole "God is My Co Pilot" thing. We're flying with one of the "Old Ones". Seriously I love this figure. I'll take a dozen please. The uses are enormous. Besides the obvious Classic and Modern Space and Army building, you have a great head for horror type C'thullu MOC's, or a Dungeons and Dragons Mindflayer. Or an Atlantis MOC. Simply wonderful.

Point taken and noted. You have somehow convince me as well but past experience has proven that such minfigures designs are not as popular as the rest.

Am I the only only one seeing the "Egyptian Shield" as a good "Mirror Shield" from "The Legend of Zelda"?

That is a nice way of seeing a new usage for the shield.

I'd put the accessories for the hot dog guy as poor, not average. Average would be one accessory. Having nothing is poor. They could have at least included a sausage or a 1x1 round tile and two plates to make a burger. Or a 2x2 tile with a menu on.

I don't disagree with what you felt on the Hot Dog Guy. But the high possibility of moulding that part could be much higher and will have to reduce the production cost for the minifigure to ensure it is within, especially when the Hot Dog Suit is brand new element.