Sign in to follow this  
Jern92

Moving LEGO Overseas

In a few months I'll be moving from New Zealand to Malaysia, and in the process, will be bringing my Lego collection. I have about 4 of the modular buildings, and I was thinking that the best way to transport them would be to separate the buildings into individual storeys, bubble wrap them, and put them all into my carry-on luggage to be carried with me on the plane. My other smaller sets include random vehicles and loose bricks so I'll probably just put them in resealable bags and chuck them in alongside the larger ones. Oh, and a couple of small Harry Potter and LOTR sets too, which could easily be taken apart and put back together. I really don't want to take any of the modulars apart though (or see them in pieces when I arrive), unless I really have to.

Any suggestions from people who've done this before? I'm just glad I've only started collecting Lego, so don't have much to move. At this moment anyway. :D

I've done it twice. I keep the bulk of my sets broken down in zip lock bags and transported them in boxes. The high value stuff like SDCC figs comes hand luggage, but honestly you need to take your financial and other important documents hand luggage so there isn't much space for Lego.

I wouldn't waste valuable carry on space with lego. Having moved and traveled a whole bunch more than I've wanted to, I'd simply pack the lego in boxes and move it with the rest of my stuff. Not like your moving crystal or pottery that's easily broken.

Plus, you should probably insure it so if something were to happen, you'd be covered?

I've never moved via plane before, so I can't say. The most I've ever done was had a few PAB cups from Chicago flying back to Omaha...and needless to say they spilled inside my carry-on (I only use carry-on), so that was fun...

But I'd think moving great distances via plane, I'd break everything down into separate bags. That way it won't accidentally break on the trip AND you get the enjoyment of rebuilding them. Sometimes you forget about how much fun some sets are to build.

If you choose to bubble wrap sections of your modulars, I would then place each wrapped section in its own large ziploc bag. That way, if pieces do come loose, they won't get lost, and are still grouped together.

If you choose to bubble wrap sections of your modulars, I would then place each wrapped section in its own large ziploc bag. That way, if pieces do come loose, they won't get lost, and are still grouped together.

Yes, that's what I planned to do at first. But might consider taking things apart since everyone suggested it.

Plus, you should probably insure it so if something were to happen, you'd be covered?

I've never moved via plane before, so I can't say. The most I've ever done was had a few PAB cups from Chicago flying back to Omaha...and needless to say they spilled inside my carry-on (I only use carry-on), so that was fun...

But I'd think moving great distances via plane, I'd break everything down into separate bags. That way it won't accidentally break on the trip AND you get the enjoyment of rebuilding them. Sometimes you forget about how much fun some sets are to build.

I'm a student overseas who's going home, so most of my stuff can be taken with me on the flight, and any extras will have to be shipped home which will take a while. I guess if I took everything apart I could have a check-in bag full of Lego.

On 9/8/2014 at 7:23 AM, Jern92 said:

In a few months I'll be moving from New Zealand to Malaysia, and in the process, will be bringing my Lego collection. I have about 4 of the modular buildings, and I was thinking that the best way to transport them would be to separate the buildings into individual storeys, here packing and moving companies near me phone g&j moving. Bubble wrap them, and put them all into my carry-on luggage to be carried with me on the plane. My other smaller sets include random vehicles and loose bricks so I'll probably just put them in resealable bags and chuck them in alongside the larger ones. Oh, and a couple of small Harry Potter and LOTR sets too, which could easily be taken apart and put back together. I really don't want to take any of the modulars apart though (or see them in pieces when I arrive), unless I really have to.

Any suggestions from people who've done this before? I'm just glad I've only started collecting Lego, so don't have much to move. At this moment anyway. :D

how was the issue resolved?

I moved to Perth recently, I never had any problems. I brought my sets still packed up in the boxes. All in check in luggage.

happy wheels

Edited by sethperkins