Blakbird

LDraw models needed for Technicopedia

Thanks! I haven't noticed that before...

and since I'm already in this thread - when can we expect the next update of Technicopedia? :)

I would love some more of you thoughts on TECHNIC models Blackbird! Loved reading the existing articles. Convinced me to get a Control Center II.

I would love some more of you thoughts on TECHNIC models Blackbird! Loved reading the existing articles. Convinced me to get a Control Center II.

Although I haven't got past 1997 in Technicopedia yet, I've written plenty of reviews right here on Eurobricks for the newer models. You can find them in the Technic Index at the top of the forum.

Yes, the large front wheels can be motorised.

Edited by allanp

But: where is the Fun motorizing driving without RC?? All other functions are pneumatics

IMHO motorizing with 9v System makes only sense for "static" functions or compressors...

But motorizing driving/steering without RC or IR is quite useless and funless...

Edited by Kumbbl

8862 B-Model

Thanks!

But motorizing driving/steering without RC or IR is quite useless and funless...

It was fun in 8448. The model came with extra parts to put the back wheels up on jacks so you could run through the gears and watch the wheels speed up.

Hmm, i always found this Not very exiting with the 8448. but at least i can understand you why you mention this as example. But for the 8862 it is still completely useless...

But: where is the Fun motorizing driving without RC?? All other functions are pneumatics

IMHO motorizing with 9v System makes only sense for "static" functions or compressors...

Remember, Remote != wireless. Some of the 9v cables were quite long. String a couple of those together and you've got yourself a perfectly serviceable remote control.

Remember, Remote != wireless. Some of the 9v cables were quite long. String a couple of those together and you've got yourself a perfectly serviceable remote control.

+1

There was a time where, and not many may remember this, a remote was NOT necessarily wireless. Amazing how meanings of common words have evolved over time. I was looking for the Specs of a router (wood machine) a while back. The majority of hits were from Cisco/LinkSys/NetGear ...

Different people different opinions - it is ok. But for me Remote IS wireless, at least with lego. I own 8082 with its very Long wires and i tried using them for a "RC" Car. But as i said: completely funless:

- the old wires are quite fragile

- the mounting point of wire an contact plate is very weak especially when you move the wire around

- running after your car when steering it is really ridiculous

I really like models of that time with these motors e.g. 8480, 8479, 8868 and also the 8082 has some nifty mechanisms but "RC"ing with them: Never ever, nuts.

PF has its disadvantages too but concerning RC it was not a big leap forward, it was 3 big leaps forward - IMHO. At least for the slow speeds as intended by lego. Of course it is very limited for really race RCing. There are much better Systems Out there..

Edited by Kumbbl

completely funless:

As you wish. But don't come crying to me when it's too bright for your IR. Or someone else steals your channel. Or you find you don't have line-of-sight to the receiver any more. :-)

Also, if you have to have an umbilical cord anyway for the electrics, it doesn't take much to add a couple of pneumatic hoses, so you can add remote-controlled pneumatic functions as well!

- the old wires are quite fragile

- the mounting point of wire an contact plate is very weak especially when you move the wire around

- running after your car when steering it is really ridiculous

- It's quite easy to replace the wire portion - and you can make your new wires as long as you like!

- Then do what you would do for any weak connection - reinforce it!

- Sometimes PF requires just as much running after your car as a wired remote.

I'm not denying that PF has been a game-changer, and I'm not claiming that umbilical cords are perfect. I'm just pointing out that they have some advantages and shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.

I thought it was fun to motorise the 8862 b model, even though steering was still manual. I see it as being like any other motorised function. In this case (if I remember correctly) there was 4 stages of 1:3 gear reduction, the first stage being a belt, making a total reduction of 81:1 without the use of worm gears, which meant a fast low torque motor was easily capable of driving the model and the front crop scooper upper thingymagigger. I think that's much more interesting mechanically than an IR controlled motor>16t>16t>16t>bevel>bevel>16t>16t>function. The fast spinning belt right next to the slow but powerful big wheel with the crop thingy turning right in front of that is a little mesmerising. I don't think being wireless would have made the function any better.

Edited by allanp

I own the model, i love this b model (BTW: One of the best ever. So good i bought a Second copy of 8862) and i saw in The BI how it can be motorizing. And it was without any attraction for me... A boring mechanism adding nothing to the model.

Anyway, let us end the discussion here because i think it leads to nowhere. You have your opinion i have mine and all is fine ;-)