BirdOPrey5

Suggestion on first modular building to buy and build?

Lots of threads like this, and the same answers all the time! Hahahaha

Go buy what you like as with any other thing in life!

Hi.

I've only been out of my "dark ages" for the past year, and would really like to get a modular building. Not just for the parts, but for the fun of building and seeing the more advanced building styles.

Which one would be a good start? I was thinking about Pet Shop as the buildings look interesting to build, but now I'm thinking Grand Emporium as it's the oldest that I can still buy at Lego.com and probably won't be available for too much longer. I can definitely only get one at the moment!

I'm sure this has been asked before. Speaking from personal experience (also only recently out of a 40+ year Dark Age!) I'd go for the one that sparks your interest most.

Others will say to take into account 'retirability', i.e. which models are likely to be around for least longest. From reading here, I believe Grand Emporium or Town Hall may be next for the chop. Pet Shop was my most recent modular purchase, Town Hall will be my next, later this month. I already had Palace Cinema and Grand Emporium.

For me, Palace Cinema was the 'trickiest' build in terms of techniques. Pet Shop was reasonably straightforward, but more fun as there's more in it and you get two buildings for the price of one! I found Grand Emporium a bit 'repetitive' in places, but the overall result is a good one.

Just my 2p worth!

I would also say go the GE, you could go Bricklink to find the earlier sets i.e. FB or GG but they'll be in the very high dollars range by now.

Yes - duplicative thread.

I believe the consensus in the other recent one was Pet Shop. Price point is reasonable, and the "two buildings" design of it makes it a good starter for a city layout. You have the option of separating the pet shop from the row house and splicing in MOC's. Plus, you get a few more insights in the differing aesthetics of the separate buildings, which can help dust off your "dark ages" and kindle some MOC ideas.

I have seen a thread like this one - but I'd go with GE for now, since if one misses it, one may regret it!

Then get PS!

Isn't this a duplicate Thread?!

Yes. Only just found the other one. Sorry!

... I'd go with GE for now, since if one misses it, one may regret it!

Then get PS!

That's what I'm thinking.

Thanks.

If you only plan on buying one, then my vote definitely goes to Paris restaurant. it looks best on its own and could work well as a standalone display piece on your shelf. It also has the most detail in and out, looks good even from behind, and was most entertaining to build for me.

If you plan on collecting them, then the answer is obvious, the oldest one available (currently Grand Emporium) - beware though. a decision to collect them can be potentially dangerous to your financial health as its hard to stop at 2 or 3, you will eventually want them all.

Just to followup I built the Grand Emporium this past weekend and it was great. Can't wait to get to the Pet Shop and Restaurant.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

777DSC00893small.jpg

Note the flowers in proper studs down arrangement. ;)

Edited by BirdOPrey5

So I built the Pet Shop over this past weekend and a strange thing... I like it, don't get me wrong... but... I actually like Grand Emporium better. I was shocked- ,maybe I had too high expectations as everyone has been saying Pet Shop is the best build and they seem to rank the Grand Emporium at the bottom,

I have been watching for Town Hall and I just leave a browser tab open to check if it comes in a few times a day. All day it had been listed as "Sold Out" then when I checked just now it was listed as "Call to check availability." So I called and the rep who answered said it was sold out and "it looks like it's not coming back." :(

Hoping he's wrong, going to keep checking until the end of the month.