BirdOPrey5

Suggestion on first modular building to buy and build?

I've been building all kinds of Lego (and Lego-compatible) brick sets this year, the space shuttle, some architecture sets, a number of creator and town planes, monuments (by other brands), the BTTF Car and Ecto 1, and some big Technic sets.

I have never done any of the Creator Modular sets- wondering if anyone has an opinion on the best one to start with?

To be clear, I'm asking what is the best Modular Building available on the market to start with- this isn't for a MOC.

Some will say that you should start with the oldest one from those still available - in case you get hooked and in some point of time will feel an urge to get them all in retail price :). The oldest one is Grand Emporium.

But if you just want to buy one (and you are certain about it) i would personally recommend Parisian Restaurant as it is the most detailed (both inside and on the outside) modular to date :)

if you are looking for modern and not vintage, then it is the Parisian Restaurant from year 2014. But if you want vintage then it is the Green Grocer from year 2008 :)

I agree with Peter. Once you start you will get hooked. For that reason, buy the Grand Emporium while it is still available at retail. If you try to get it later, it will be much more expensive.

I only have the Fire Brigade and the Grand Emporium but I plan on adding the Pet Shop next month during Double VIP Points. The Parisian Restaurant looks great but it will still be available in a couple years.

The Pet Shop is likely the next one to retire after the Grand Emporium. It is two separate 16x32 builds that can break up the flow of buildings on your block.

As someone who just recently started off with the modulars (after years of desperately trying to resist the urge) by buying Grand Emporium, I can just say it will put it's claws into you and not let go.

Also it will leave you a little sad when you realize you can't get the older ones for a reasonable price anymore. So start of with the one you still can get, because you will get hooked on them.

I went with the Parisian Restaurant first earlier this year, and fell in love. Not sure if the others would've had the same effect because the PS has the most gorgeous detail compared to most of the available modulars. Now I've been buying one each of the modulars every time there is a sale, and my collection now includes the Pet Shop and the Fire Brigade (which was retired but luckily a local store still had one left). Definitely picking up the Grand Emporium next.

Also it will leave you a little sad when you realize you can't get the older ones for a reasonable price anymore.

So much truth in that one statement. I want the Green Grocer so badly, but there is no way I'll be able to pay the current asking price, or even afford to bricklink it.

Thanks all... Had my eye on Pet Shop but Grand Emporium sounds like a good start... It's out of stock on Lego.com- expected ship date isn't until end of the month- I don't want to lose it, maybe i'll order it now... with some luck I might buy Pet Shop later but put it together first.

I wish I was in time for Fire Brigade... seeing prices around $300 new and $250 used. :(

Edited by BirdOPrey5

No guarantee, of course, but in the regular modular thread there was a lot of talk about Grand Emporium getting an extended life due to strong sells recently. Those sells, though, were people buying them as investments believing that it was going to retire soon.

There is no set schedule for any of these building to retire anyway. The way it works is that LEGO puts in a new order for sets and those sets are available until they are sold through. Direct to Consumer (D2C) sets do not get clearanced. When LEGO was not planning on ordering more, they pull the stock from the local stores to sell via the web.

Personally, I would wait. Though I already have Grand Emporium and will be getting the Pet Shop. Of course, the new production run of Grand Emporium might mean that Pet Shop is the next to go. There are risks no matter what direction you go.

As others have said, the Grand Emporium is a good one to get before it goes completely away (at least at retail price). I started with the Grand Emporium and then bought the Pet Shop. I actually enjoyed the build of the Pet Shop better since it was two buildings that were fairly different. I had actually gone to the Lego store with the Parisian Restaurant in mind, but it was sold out.

I am currently trying to find a Fire Brigade for as close to retail as possible.

Well I was all ready to buy the Grand Emporium yesterday October 1st- had been checking daily, it had been in stock since last week. Then yesterday it completely slipped my mind and when i went to buy it this morning it wasn't available online.

All hope was not lost however- it said call to check availability. Luckily I called and they were still available- so it should be here next week. :)

The Pet Shop was my first and only modular. Contains a lot of pieces, lots of detail, and a nice model in total. Grand Emporium is only one building, Pet Shop is two, making it probably a more exciting build. I say you should get the Pet Shop.

A lot of people are saying to go Grand Emporium because it's the oldest. I vote you do Grand Emporium for that, and it's my personal favorite as far as outside appearance.

I agree that the Grand Emporium was the right choice, and it looks like you caught it just in time. Even if it ultimately does not end up being your favorite, you will probably come to find out that you would have regretted not buying it while still available at regular price. It is a nice building with lots of windows, a fun billboard, a chandelier, and other pleasant details.

Thanks all...

The Pet Shop is out of stock right now so I also went ahead and ordered the Parisian Restaurant... with luck I'll be able to get the pet shop and cinema by end of of year... Any reason why the Town Hall is so much more expensive than the others?

It's the piece count of the Town Hall which makes it more expensive.

If I were you I would buy the Grand Emporium first before the other two.

Time is running out for the TH, PS, and GE. I would buy now if at all interested in them. It might be too late for GE, at least in the US.

My first one was the TH, I liked the colors and size I guess. Start out big and then worked my way through the others... :-)

The Pet Shop is a fun build. I just completed it with my two six year old boys and they love it. I was one of the lucky ones yesterday. Waited until October 1st for the double points and bought the Grand Emporium, which I'm planning on expanding to fill a 32x32 baseplate and turning it into a music shop with a record store on the first floor, an instrument shop on the second and maybe a small recording studio for the third. My Daughter and I started making a record shop to fill a spot in our town, but it was the interior we focused on, not the exterior. Now I have an excuse to upgrade the record shop with the Grand Emporium.

15402103036_a519f2d90d.jpgIMG_1945 by Dawn + Ryan = Awesome, on Flickr

15421972021_72108dee3c.jpgIMG_1943 by Dawn + Ryan = Awesome, on Flickr

15238470110_e7e7a77818.jpgIMG_1940 by Dawn + Ryan = Awesome, on Flickr

Just picture that interior within the Grand Emporium!!! It's going to be a fun build!!! I'm not a great MOCer, but I like to MOD.

You guys were scaring me with the talk the pet shop might be on its way out. Lego online changed from "Out of stock - Due in October 13th" to "Out of Stocks - Will ship in 30 days" and I panicked and found it at the regular price on ToysRUs.com and ordered it from there... More than I wanted to spend so soon but would have been really angry if I missed it. I will be less angry if I miss the town hall... if I'm lucky I can get it for the holidays.

Any of the modular are great! But I would echo sentiments above - get the oldest available one first (Grand Emporium); that way, when you get hooked (and you will), you'll then be able to get the next, and so on. If you went with a newer one, and you then wanted the Emporium, it may have retired by then.

But whatever you get -enjoy it!

I only have the Petshop, and was so great to build it

I want to buy the Grand Emporium but i'm living in mexico and lego doesn't ship here, even the store rejected my order because i have a mailbox address :(

Trying to get it in ebay but is so expensive...

Can anyone confirm me if the GE is still available at lego retail? to planning a trip to San Antonio's store soon :S

I only have the Petshop, and was so great to build it

I want to buy the Grand Emporium but i'm living in mexico and lego doesn't ship here, even the store rejected my order because i have a mailbox address :(

Trying to get it in ebay but is so expensive...

Can anyone confirm me if the GE is still available at lego retail? to planning a trip to San Antonio's store soon :S

Try: www.bricklink.com

You will have many sellers around the world selling Legos....:-)

All the best!

It's funny how things go out of stock so much on the U.S. site. Everytime the GE,TH or PS are mentioned I check on the UK site (where I would order from ) and they're always in stock. I'm in a similar position to the otiginal poster as I've been waiting to buy my first modular. I picked up the GE from my local lego shop on October 1st and I'm waiting till November to get the PS. I would be very suprised if they retired the TH yet. Although it's the most expensive i doubt they'd retire it until end of 2015

Well I wasn't sure the one I ordered from Amazon (Parisian Restaurant) would make it here in time for me to start building this morning so I finally opened the Volkswagen Camper Van which had been sitting unopened for some time. Starting sorting the pieces last night and I look at the instruction books and see the Town Hall and Pet Shop are on the back of the book as advertisements. I know the campervan was from 2011 and didn't realize the pet shop was so old... really glad I ordered it. Town hall is from 2012 so in theory I would guess should be around longer than the pet shop.