WARNING! LARGE PICS! By tmmorow thell be resized. Damn my high res camera...

On the 13th this month it was my Birthday. And after a few hours of annoying my parents, they agreed to get me some lego... Under 1 condition I have to modify it into a RC car. I agreed and to my delight I recived 8436. So lets start.

Stats

----------------

Theme: LEGO / TECHNIC

Year: 2004

Pcs: 1027

Figs: 0

MSRP: $90.00 (I got it for WAY above that.. 200 USD... Lego in Malta is EXPENCIVE! :-( )

The Box

----------------

This truck has 3 models, wich are shown all over the box.

Here is the normal box.

The flip thing flipped, Showing the other models.

The Contents

----------------

Inside the box, theres you guessed it, More boxes! 3 infact. Numbered. As well as 2 manuals (a common sight nowadays) and no DSS (

Edited by Stauder

Nice review! This is a great set! My girl friend bought this for me a couple years ago for my birthday. This set brought me back into lego! Ithink this was a fairly easy build by techinc standards. I have since made mine a dual rear axle (total of 3 now) and built a trailer spicificly for it. On a side note..... If you decideto build the crane attachment,you can still pull a 5th wheel trailer!

Nice review (they are not that large those pics)!

Though I don't own this set it does appeal to me in a certain way, it looks like a decent truck with some nice pieces.

You are having a hard time living in Malta with such high Lego prices....!

:-)

Yes I am having trouble as a Lego Fan in Malta. They dont even import SW sets! *sing* But the BSB is avalible in a loval store and it anint too expencive... *Stares at wallet*

Thanks for the review.

I have to say I found this model soooo disappointing at the time that it came out, because Technic had been so much more than this, and I had really looking forward to a new Pneumatic model, and in 2003 at least it seemed that there had been a revival in Technic because they had the very good backhoe 8455 http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8455 and recycled the crane truck 8438.

Anyway, comparing this to the Airtech Claw Rig(the greatest Technic Model of all time of course) or even lesser pneumatic models like the tractor 8464/8459 http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8459, or the big backhoe 8455 http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8455, or even the medium sized log loader 8443 http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8443, shows how little they did with this model.

Basically, this is a standard modern (meaning crappy gearless liftarmed excessively fared) truck chasis with a function arm of some sort "thrown in".

8455 - the backhoe was a pretty decent set, and marked the last time Lego did anything useful with pneumatics (8421 does not count because the pneumatids were basically useless). It's a shame really - nothing I ever did with Technic was ever as cool as the pneumatic stuff. Lego seems to have abandoned this, though.

Nice! Good review, great pics. That's a lot of pins. :-P Looks neat, the first (only) pneumatic set I've seen/played with was the submarine. With the detachable cockpit. It was awesome. This looks neat too, if only I had enough money to get the Castle sets and this. :-D *y*

Thanks for the review.

I have to say I found this model soooo disappointing at the time that it came out, because Technic had been so much more than this, and I had really looking forward to a new Pneumatic model, and in 2003 at least it seemed that there had been a revival in Technic because they had the very good backhoe 8455 http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8455 and recycled the crane truck 8438.

I have to disagree. While i agree that its not the best techinc set that has been out, i have to say that it does have some very nice features. A V6 engine, tilting cab, steering, and 3 options for a rear lift mechanisim. Its obvious that this is the focal point of this set. I believe it gives it alot of flexability that other sets don't have. I built the folding crane on mine. While i admit that the pnuematics aten't very strong due to the placment, it does have some capability. But to be honest, i mainly choose this attachment because i wanted to build a trailer for it. Another high point of this set.

8438 i beilve is the best (stock) crane lego has come out with to date. Its the only set that i have from my childhood that is still toeghter. But more on that in a bit... :)

Anyway, comparing this to the Airtech Claw Rig(the greatest Technic Model of all time of course) or even lesser pneumatic models like the tractor 8464/8459 http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8459, or the big backhoe 8455 http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8455, or even the medium sized log loader 8443 http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8443, shows how little they did with this model.

These are all great examples. All have there high points,as well as there lows Just like 8436. BUt to be honest, if your going to crown a king of pnuematic sets, it has to be 8455 back hoe. With 10 cylinders, 7 switches, and two pumps, how can it not be?

The tractor8459/8464 was a great set. Though it had little function, it did what it was supposed to probbly the best out of any techinc set ever made. Period.

With an air tank, i beilve 8455 rivals even the mighty air claw rig! :-P BUt in all honesty, the air claw rig is a fantacic set. It preety much everything but a suspention. The turning radius could be a bit better though.

As for 8421, i have to agree that lego dropped (litteraly) the boom on this one. 2 cylinders were obviously not enough, but what really gets me is that if they just completed the hose to the switch, that woulds have heled alot with the crashing of the boom when letting it down. But when an extra 2 cylinders are used, you can attually lift somthing other than just the boom itself. Making the it a very capable crane. BUt in stock form, it does need a alot of work. More than any other techinc set i can think of. Thats why 8438 is lego's best crane to date.

I certainly like 8455, but it does not live up to its potential.

8455 has a ton of pneumatic functionality - more than any other by far. It sits on my office shelf with no risk of imminent storage, along with Airtech, the Black Cat ModelTeam, and the Scudaria Truck.

However, it has a flimsy feel to it - too light due to the use of liftarms rather than bricks, and probably a bit too small.

It is very hard to control the movement of the pneumoatic powered parts - they open too fast, close too fast, and getting them to slowly and in a controlled way go to the position you want is almost impossible. It doesn't demo well to family and friends. Airtech is much more impressive that way. Again, this could have been partially remedied by having heavier elements, so the pneumatic power did not fling them back and forth.

Also, the switches are too many and too close together.

A 100% better model with exactly the same functionality, would have been 50% larger, 100% heavier, and used the extra space for an air tank somewhere.

The reason I like the tractor so much is because it is very sturdy feeling, and because of the air tank you really can control it very nicely. It is almost the opposite of the 8455 - less function, but all the functions work really well. Also, it used a significant amount of bricks, not liftarms, which is a major plus in my books. And the liftarms were actually used in a useful way. And no farings. EGAD I hate farings. I have to confess that this is probably part of my bias against 8436

First of all, thanks for the review. I actually have this set and have always liked the look of it but I've never had a chance to open the box and actually build the thing.

Secondly, I really enjoy this discussion between Gylman and 5150. We've had these before and I really enjoy reading all the comments about the pneumatics and functionality of the Technic sets. The last big Technic set I built was the tow truck 8285 Lugnet 8285 (it is still on my shelf) but I was disappointed in the overall functionality of the set. I actually reviewed it here last year if you are so inclined to wade through my ramblings Dunamis Review of 8285.

At any rate, I have the AirTech Claw and it is a very nice set as well. I do have the 8459 and 8455 but have never taken the time to build them. All this Technic talk has made me want to break them out and spend the long weekend building them out. At least I would then be able to contribute more to this discussion.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen much promise in this year's Technic sets. Although the new motor functions are intriguing, it seems that LEGO just continues to recycle the same models every few years. I mean, how many cranes, dozers, backhoes can we possibly have?

Secondly, I really enjoy this discussion between Gylman and 5150. We've had these before and I really enjoy reading all the comments about the pneumatics and functionality of the Technic sets. The last big Technic set I built was the tow truck 8285 Lugnet 8285 (it is still on my shelf) but I was disappointed in the overall functionality of the set. I actually reviewed it here last year if you are so inclined to wade through my ramblings Dunamis Review of 8285.

I really enjoyed your review dunamis. I think the tow truck was a great set, but like you said, needed more. First, it should have used pneumatics to lift the arm. As well as the rear lift mechanisim. I modded mine to do just so. It really adds to the set. Also the rear lift should have pivited. Still working on that one.

At any rate, I have the AirTech Claw and it is a very nice set as well. I do have the 8459 and 8455 but have never taken the time to build them. All this Technic talk has made me want to break them out and spend the long weekend building them out. At least I would then be able to contribute more to this discussion.

All this talk about the airtech rig makes me want to rebuild mine! You should take the time and build all your boxed techinc sets! If there are any legos that should be built its techinc. With all the functions they offer, it would be a crime to keep them boxed up any longer! :-P Trust me, both are awsome sets! You won't be disapointed!

Unfortunately, I haven't seen much promise in this year's Technic sets. Although the new motor functions are intriguing, it seems that LEGO just continues to recycle the same models every few years. I mean, how many cranes, dozers, backhoes can we possibly have?

I'm attually really looking forward to the new bulldozer. This one could quite possibly beat out the airclaw rig as the best techinc set ever! X-D But i agree with about the rest of the techinc sets this year. It seems every few years we get a new crane, or forklift, or some kind of truck. But if you think about it, what are the most popular techinc mocs on brickshelf? The crane has to be the top. So i can see why lego keep them coming every couple of years.

I remeber gylman starting a topic about technic ideas other than the tipical tractors, cranes and such. Once you start to think about it, its kinda hard to think up of somthing other than the tipical tractors and such. Espeacailly since it would need to have some kind of function. But if you have any ideas, we'd love to hear them!

I'm attually really looking forward to the new bulldozer. This one could quite possibly beat out the airclaw rig as the best techinc set ever! X-D But i agree with about the rest of the techinc sets this year. It seems every few years we get a new crane, or forklift, or some kind of truck. But if you think about it, what are the most popular techinc mocs on brickshelf? The crane has to be the top. So i can see why lego keep them coming every couple of years.

Well i can imagine that if lego get's their pneumatics division straight

then maybe they can think Airtech claw rig + PF!!!

Then again if the bulldozer really proves to be a great model why should they go back to pneumatics,

The 8421 didn't work well, why shoould a new model.

Back to the reviewed set, it looks kinda cool, but the back where the crane is looks kinda empty.

very good front and style of the model though!

Well i can imagine that if lego get's their pneumatics division straight

then maybe they can think Airtech claw rig + PF!!!

Then again if the bulldozer really proves to be a great model why should they go back to pneumatics,

The 8421 didn't work well, why shoould a new model.

Just cause the pneumatics in one set didn't work well, doesn't mean that they should stop using them altogether. :-| Like Gylman and i were discussing, there are plenty of great examples of pneumatic set in the past. No reason that LEGO couldn't make more great models using them.

Thank you for that neat review of an interesting set. Although I