talos

Modulars - how many of each do you have?

What's the primary appeal in multiple of the high-priced Creator Expert modulars?

The excellent price per piece ratio and the great parts as such you get for your money. As a mocist you know that you'll use them all sooner or later. Whenever there's a special offer of one of the modulars (which seems to be rare lately) I try to get one.

(2) Cafe Corner 10182 including one unopened set

(1) Market Street 10190

(2) Green Grocer 10185 including one unopened set

(6) Fire Brigade 10197

(5) Grand Emporium 10211

(4) Town Hall 10224

(3) Pet Shop 10218

(2) Palace Cinema 10232 and

(3) Parisian Restaurant 10243

(?) Detective Agency 2015?

What's the primary appeal in multiple of the high-priced Creator Expert modulars? I have 1 each of several - but find that I'd rather spend any surplus "Lego budget" on bulk lots of bricks (for MOC's) or similar "non-duplicate" acquisitions.

I'd be curious about the reasons some folks seem to acquire multiples (aside from simply maintaining extra's NISB as investments)...

My main reason is ease of part acquisition. I live in the middle east (Kuwait) and most LEGO products over here are sold in a dollar to dinar conversion - meaning a $100 set is sold at 100KD. Unfortunately 100KD is equal to roughly $350. So bad business practices/greedy b@stardary aside that makes local purchases a no-go. So then I travel on to eBay, CL, PAB, etc. for ease of bulk purchases. It's easier (read less tedious, time consuming, soul crushing) than digging through bricklink sites to gather mass quantities BUT I've found unless you're buying directly from a collector your MOC-useful part percentages drop with eBay/CL purchases and your price/parts range can be limited by PAB. Soooooo, then there are the official modulars. Good mix of bricks for what we build (City), decent price point, and easily attainable. That's why we have as many as we do.

GG = 1 used without alteration

FB = 4, 3 used in our Godwins Hollow Fire Department

GE = 3 most used in our Expanded Grand Emporium

PS = 4, 1 used without alteration, the blue half of three went into our Godwins Hollow Police Department

TH = 4, 3 used in our City Hall

PC = 1, used with interior moding in our Main Street Palace Cinema

PR is on the order list but not yet here...

1x Green Grocer, 1x Fire Brigade, 2x Grand Emporium, 2x Pet Shop, 1x Town Hall, 1x Palace Cinema,

Need to pick up a Parisian Restaurant

Missed out on Cafe Corner

2x GE, which I built into a 32x64 store, with 2 escalators, of course ;-)

2x TH, which I will build into a different and bigger TH... someday...

one of GG, PS, PR, FB each

no CC and MS, those I missed in my dark ages

no Cinema, as I really really don't like how it is executed, and I don't feel like modding inferior sets

plus several MOD/MOC buildings from imagination or other sets, like Friends Pet Salon

maybe I should overcome my Lego photo lazyness and post some ;-)

One of each (outside of MS, and a bricklinked CC and Sand blue Grocer), but one each of the rest.

I'd be interested in extras considering the piece type and amount you get, but I don't have that kind of money to spend. I am unable to get the rest of the sets I want, so I have to limit to one quantity. If I buy multiples, then that means other sets won't get purchased.

I have plans to expand the Town Hall (but nothing like other people have done), but I can't swing another 200$ on that set. I may look into just bricklinking pieces, but that will be ridiculous too. I have too many sets/figures wanted PLUS other projects that need money. No wonder nothing ever gets accomplished, I'm spread too thin.

(?) Detective Agency 2015?

I've been curious about rumours for the next modular... It's been very quiet although I suspect it will be announced end of October for a january launch. Is Detective Agency a real rumour or just wishful thinking on your part? I was expecting something more governmental...

3x FB, 3x GE, 4x PS, 1x TH, 2x PC, 1x PR

Sadly missed out on CC and GG, don't feel the same about missing out MS.

Will add at least one more PC and PR, and a couple of the new 2015 modular.

My main reason is ease of part acquisition. I live in the middle east (Kuwait) and most LEGO products over here are sold in a dollar to dinar conversion - meaning a $100 set is sold at 100KD. Unfortunately 100KD is equal to roughly $350. So bad business practices/greedy b@stardary aside that makes local purchases a no-go. So then I travel on to eBay, CL, PAB, etc. for ease of bulk purchases. It's easier (read less tedious, time consuming, soul crushing) than digging through bricklink sites to gather mass quantities BUT I've found unless you're buying directly from a collector your MOC-useful part percentages drop with eBay/CL purchases and your price/parts range can be limited by PAB. Soooooo, then there are the official modulars. Good mix of bricks for what we build (City), decent price point, and easily attainable. That's why we have as many as we do.

PS = 4, 1 used without alteration, the blue half of three went into our Godwins Hollow Police Department

Hello neighbor...:-)...looks same here in Oman too....

Wow! Good work on all of those expansions and mods!

I need to update my list after today...ahem.. ;-)

2x FB, 2x PS, 2x GE, 2x TH, 2x PR, 1x PC.

Is it me, or is the PC the least loved? I don't see myself getting a 2nd one, for now. Only if I get an idea that needs the tan bricks. Maybe the false front Hollywood type cinema is the problem? I would of liked it much better if it was Art Deco, perhaps...

BTW, I was perusing BrickLink the other day and found a seller that had 20 Parisian Restaurants, and was asking $199 for each...really!

It definitely seems like the Cinema is the least loved (apart from market street) which always surprises me personally as it is the modular that broke the camel's back for me and brought me into Lego.

Cafe Corner 10182

Market Street 10190

Green Grocer 10185

Fire Brigade 10197

2 x Grand Emporium 10211 (& 2 MISB)

Town Hall 10224 (MISB)

Pet Shop 10218 (MISB)

Palace Cinema 10232 (MISB)

Parisian Restaurant 10243 is still on the list.

Cheers Pagan

Edited by pagan

Hello neighbor...:-)...looks same here in Oman too....

Howdy! Yeah, I don't get it. Shipping is cheaper to here, the disposable income is here (although value is not respected as much as price is), and there is even a small LEGO community in Kuwait. But as most things western are sold on the same model I don't imagine they'll be changing things any time soon.

Wow! Good work on all of those expansions and mods!

Thanks! We're really proud of our police station and City Hall.

I have one of each except the Fire Brigades and Grand Emporiums that i have two of each. One buildt. The 3 first module houses i had to Bricklink since it was no longer avaliable when i got into the module houses. Fire Brigades was my first. The extra Fire Brigades was planned to make a bigger Fire Brigades but never got around to do it yet.

Edited by mrfuture

1x GG, 2x GE, 2x PS, 2x TH, 1x PC, 1x PR

the second copy of each modular was parted down for MOC's and bulk. My GG was bricklinked, and i have made a custom MS and CC.

In order of purchase:

1x Mini Modulars - I love these!

1x Palace Cinema

1x Grand Emporium

1x Pet Shop

Next will be either Ghost House (not strictly a modular) or Town Hall - I've been advised that Ghost House will retire before Town Hall does, so that is an influence on my choice (and wallet!).

Not got into MODing or MOCing as yet, still building (sorry!) a stock of parts for that.

Compared to you guys, I have a "normal" amount of sets... :D

I just have 1 set of GE, PS, and FB...

I think I will pass on town hall because it's too large for my town (and for the price though :p)

But I don't mind getting another PS if I get a good deal

1 CC

2 GG (1 built, 1 still MISB)

2 GE (1 built, 1 other loose to either expand GE or make new modular, similar to GE style)

1 FS

2 TH (combined into one larger version - wider, deeper, taller)

1 PS (will get another)

1 PC

0 PR (as yet - will get In Oct for 2x VIP)

1x GG, 2x GE, 2x PS, 2x TH, 1x PC, 1x PR

the second copy of each modular was parted down for MOC's and bulk. My GG was bricklinked, and i have made a custom MS and CC.

UPDATE: BL'ing a CC, and bought a 2nd PC, so it's now:

1xCC, 1x GG, 2x GE, 2x PS, 2x TH, 2x PC, 1x PR

Having just started in July, I have one of each starting with the Fire Brigade. I also have the Haunted House and just recently acquired a used complete Sydney Opera House for $150 that will be used for parts to attempt a MOC church.

EddieZ

Austin, Tx

I have one of each from the Pet Shop onwards.

Edited by syy89