Blakbird

[MOC REVIEW] Grove GMK6400 Mobile Crane

Eric, it is not enough to get the power to the actuator, the rotating point of the boom has to moved backward like on the picture to use the full actuator length. because i have the actuator i should make a new uppercarriage for the grove.

I'm not picky about using the full actuator length. I would rather keep the boom rotation point where it is to keep the other kinematics intact and minimize changes. It is true that a completely new superstructure could be more optimized for the actuator, but that is a really large amount of work. I would be happy with the actuator integrated into the existing design. But please do whatever you like!

Obviously the point where the rod end of the actuator attaches to the boom needs to move out as well, but that is easy to do.

my upperarriage for the xl actuator is finished. Beside of the frame i have changed the design a bit to get closer to the real one. But please note that the uppercarriage is now using the full vehicle width and is19 wide without counterweight.

15718257318_22bc48f061_z.jpg

15905100142_f9cea33a87_z.jpg

The counterweight is detachable for transport.

15718438210_866e258371_z.jpg

lxf

no, behind the cab is the rotating mechanism of the uppercarriage, so there is no space for a tilting mechanism

Very impressive!

I'm looking forward to the complete model with your actuator included.

Greetings

Alex

my upperarriage for the xl actuator is finished. Beside of the frame i have changed the design a bit to get closer to the real one. But please note that the uppercarriage is now using the full vehicle width and is19 wide without counterweight.

15718257318_22bc48f061_z.jpg

Wow, you have really made some huge changes! This superstructure looks incredible. Have you built it in real bricks to see how well it works, or only in LDD? I am interested to see how it integrates with the rest of the model and how well the actuator works. I think I will have to paint my actuator to look good with the model.

Now how long until afol1969 makes instructions? :grin:

Only in ldd till now. There is nothing special included in this superstructure what makes it necessary to build it in real before make a ldd file. But when you want i can build the structure and a short boom to test how it works.

if you want a idea how it looks, i have combined the uppercarriage with my -to short- 42009 chassis mod.

15741250410_4554e631f0_z.jpg

Edited by efferman

Now how long until afol1969 makes instructions? :grin:

:pir-blush:

I knew that this question comes!

I've downloaded the LFX file and would convert it to LDRAW, but like always, the result is horrible, a lot of parts are disappeared. The Cad file should be nade from scratch.

And: When I look the picture in combination with the 42009, the uppercarriage seems to be massive for a 5-axle carrier. Maybe it looks better with the grove6400.

But at first I've still a lot of work to do by finalizing the GMK6400 instructions...and some problems to solve with LPUB as I use now a Win7 64bit system *huh*

Greetings

Alex

I've downloaded the LFX file and would convert it to LDRAW, but like always, the result is horrible, a lot of parts are disappeared. The Cad file should be nade from scratch.

And: When I look the picture in combination with the 42009, the uppercarriage seems to be massive for a 5-axle carrier. Maybe it looks better with the grove6400.

I agree that it looks a bit out of scale with the 42009 carrier. Hopefully it will look better on the Grove with the larger boom.

Efferman, looking forward to your boom test!

Hi,

I thank and congratulate those who have worked on this MOC to share 3D models and instructions.

I follow the project since long time. I assembled the version of Jurgen.

Since the original version, which I do not like is the turret.

After making several changes (tests) on the turrets, I got this last version

At this time, i'm waiting for some extra parts from bricklink for build the chassis and boom.

I hope the lengh between the turntable and the "end" is not too long for prevent the turret to turn 360° on the chassis.

mini_838643DSC0037.jpg

mini_288831DSC0038.jpg

mini_306106DSC0039.jpg

mini_923654DSC0040.jpg

mini_571463DSC0041.jpg

mini_666327DSC0042.jpg

Since the original version, which I do not like is the turret.

After making several changes (tests) on the turrets, I got this last version

I like it! I it is much more enclosed and attractive than the original.

You have to love this project and what a community effort it has turned into. Every time we think we are done there are still more improvements to make.

Thank you Blackbird.

What do you think about the top in black color ? For me, full yellow ... is too yellow !

I have a very easy access to the battery just 4 pin retain the top.

If anybody want more photo, with disassembly parts, i can do it.

The main mechanical structure is the same in the GMK instruction's. If think, it's the same of original 42009 by Jurgen no ?

I think the black top looks good. I agree there can be too much yellow otherwise.

Do you have any pictures of your new superstructure installed on the crane?

No, at this time, i'm waiting 2 orders from bricklink and without, i can't start building the truck or the boom.

You have to wait a few days.

Edited by shreckbull

AFOL1969 please wait with making instructions. During building in real i have made some small but usefull changes. for example the cab will be tiltable.

AFOL1969 please wait with making instructions. During building in real i have made some small but usefull changes. for example the cab will be tiltable.

I've still some work with the original instructions, and honestly, I'll be happy if I come to an end. To make something perfect costs lot of time - and endless patience and nervs. That's why talented instruction makers have my full respect.

I think, an intruction for you uppercarriage creation, that task should take another person. Because another work is waiting: Modifying the crane for use with the firgelli actuator, testing it, and making an additional instruction update.

Greetings

Alex

ok then i will make a simple instruction of it.

btw, some pictures

15938487402_78149474d4_z.jpg

15938487702_95de47910b_z.jpg

15753394607_d2a567b5ec_z.jpg

15316893774_51f7e44b0b_z.jpg

now i have to search for all new type curved panels i have

Its only dirty. Black is possible. For this i would suggest to order the outside set in black and the internals in white strong and flexible.

Sure, my big turntable would give a benefit, but this would makes a complete new structure necessary.

I have finally started building this awesome crane and would like to Thank everyone that have contributed to this project.

The plan is to exhibit the crane at a large event in Copenhagen next year to show the visitors what can be going on in the Fan Communities.

I believe it will be presented as a Eurobrick Community Build but if we should credit some persons by name who should it be?

My own part will only be to use Firgelli actuator and SBrick. (Still awaiting the SBrick).

efferman: About the changes you made while building your uppercarrige. Are those essential to stability or is it mainly to make the cabin tiltable? Are you making a new LDD file? (please do :grin:)

Edited by Jan Smed