Blakbird

[MOC REVIEW] Grove GMK6400 Mobile Crane

Hello bonox,

Thank you for your answer. That is a clear statement and I must consider the outrigger probably only as an optical addition.

@ all
Meanwhile, the crane superstructure is ready and I will start with the boom.
At the moment I have problems with the cables for the Firelli Actuators. I was able to buy 2 cables Lego 8528, but the connectors on the Lego-side do not fit. These are not the usual plugs, as we are used to from Lego Technik. It is a black 2x2 brick with contacts on the 4 knobs.
Do you have a solution for me?
I look forward to your answers.

Grandpa Lothar

Hello,
the problem with the plugs is solved. For lego extension cables, the light bluish gray plug on the bottomside has side contacts that connect to that special Lego plug of the NXT to PF cable.
At Lego-Technic one always discovers something new.
Grandpa Lothar

On 4/29/2019 at 9:37 AM, sbonas said:

Hi KLADOVEK I'm about to rebuild my mk3 Grove to your amazing spec considering the above quote is there any major changes you have made and have you updated your build file

regards

Hi I have now purchased the new 15 28 actuators from the liebherr has anyone used these yet?

On 11/2/2019 at 6:41 PM, sbonas said:

Hi I have now purchased the new 15 28 actuators from the liebherr has anyone used these yet?

Wow! Please share with us a result! How would they suit there! Thanks!

Wow... this looks great.  Do you have just regular pics of the model with the new actuators?

Edited by nerdsforprez

About new actuators ... here's how they look mounted in a superstructure based on the Juregen Krooshoop project:

IMAG0377.jpg

IMAG0382.jpg

... boom traffic range has definitely improved. Now the model is perfect :)

Hi

I am in the process of building the non-suspension chassis. I thought it prudent to test 'modules' as completed. Found a snag with the rear most steered axle (if my oreintation is correct). The tiebar for the steering snags on the drive gear in the differential, not the differential but the gear (20 tooth?) that drives the differential. Had some problems with the tie bar snagging on the structure which prevented the steering from working. solved that one, Now if the drive to the differential is engaged and steering takes places loud clinking can be heard as the tie bar fouls the differential drive gear. 

Has anyone met this problem, if so did they find a solution?

Hoping someone can help, thank you reading this post.  

Solved it.

Edited by B9K9UK
Update

Looking for help. I am building the non-suspension carrier using the 1.1.7 version of the instructions. On page 24, where you attach the front 2 axles assembly with the middle 2 axle assembly, both assemblies end up being held together with one black pin at the end of a 15L technic beam. When handling the chassis, it  does not stay together. I have reviewed the instruction numerous times and I see no other way that the two sections of axles lock together. Am I missing something? Is there more reinforcement that gets added later? I have built a number of very detailed technic sets and MOCs and never had a section so poorly attached. Any help or insight please?

@gerger and @afol1969 Looking for help. I am building the non-suspension carrier using the 1.1.7 version of the instructions. On page 24, where you attach the front 2 axles assembly with the middle 2 axle assembly, both assemblies end up being held together with one black pin at the end of a 15L technic beam. When handling the chassis, it  does not stay together. I have reviewed the instruction numerous times and I see no other way that the two sections of axles lock together. Am I missing something? Is there more reinforcement that gets added later? I have built a number of very detailed technic sets and MOCs and never had a section so poorly attached. Any help or insight please?

crane.jpg I am trying to figure out why he connection between ther front 2 axle assembly and the middle 2 axle assembly is not a solid connection. It is only held together with 2 black ping at the end of a 15L beam. Any help for @Kladovec or @gerger

Hi there, I see now. Yes, in this stage it hold only on two pins. But don´t worry. several pages later, you will add outriggers subassembly, which will add more structural strength. 

8 hours ago, Kladovec said:

Hi there, I see now. Yes, in this stage it hold only on two pins. But don´t worry. several pages later, you will add outriggers subassembly, which will add more structural strength. 

@Kladovec Thank you for your answer and encouragement. I finished axles 5 & 6 and now working on the outrigger subassemblies. I will post once the carrier is finished. 

Hello All -

Few questions about this project.  I believe I want to update my Liebherr 1500 8.1 (in signature box) at some point.  Building this Grove MK6400 crane would be a great idea, but I also may want to extend it something similar to the Grove 7550 crane to keep all 8 axles of my original. 

Several questions.  And I apologize upfront if these are answered in the thread.  There is no way I can read all ~30 pages of this.  I have browsed through it, and still cannot find my answers. 

(1) - the rebrickable page states that the suspended version has some steering or reliability problems to it.  Has this been the experience of others as well?  I am not familiar with the 7Z format of the files on the rebrickable site.  Can anyone fill me in what format this is and what application or software I need to open the files?

Thanks!

21 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

(1) - the rebrickable page states that the suspended version has some steering or reliability problems to it.  Has this been the experience of others as well?

I'm also interested in suspended vs non-suspended. I first found the build on rebrickable, and, I guess erroneously, picked the suspended version to start planning to build. I started buying up parts based on the inventory from OleJka but hit a snag when it came to the qty 10 steering portal with 2 pin holes and 2 ball joints (11949) which all go for around $10 on bricklink. Not paying $100 for 10 parts. Then I found this thread and started reading through. I never found a really good description of the differences, only people who referred to "difficulties" with driving and steering. I'd love to see a really thorough description or review of the pros and cons of each version.

21 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

I am not familiar with the 7Z format of the files on the rebrickable site.  Can anyone fill me in what format this is and what application or software I need to open the files?

7z files are compressed archives similar to zip or rar. I know 7zip (https://www.7-zip.org/7z.html) can open them, and I think winrar can, too. Not sure about winzip.

Hi there. I've build both versions. Suspended and non suspended. And I confirm that, non suspended is way better. Non suspended x suspended. 3XL x 2XL for driving. 2 Servo x 1 L motor for steering. Non suspended version has for each two axle one XL motor. Suspended has two XL in front of chassis and driving axle through all body - this causing lot of frictions. One L motor for steering is also weak. Non suspended version is also capable in crab steering mode. So I prefer 100% non suspended one.

2 minutes ago, Kladovec said:

Hi there. I've build both versions. Suspended and non suspended. And I confirm that, non suspended is way better. Non suspended x suspended. 3XL x 2XL for driving. 2 Servo x 1 L motor for steering. Non suspended version has for each two axle one XL motor. Suspended has two XL in front of chassis and driving axle through all body - this causing lot of frictions. One L motor for steering is also weak. Non suspended version is also capable in crab steering mode. So I prefer 100% non suspended one.

Thanks @Kladovec for the detailed comparison. In the non-suspended version, do all 6 axles steer (I would assume so since crabbing would be limited if not)?

Other than the cost difference between the two (non-suspended requiring extra XL and servo motors), is there any positive about the suspended version or con against the non-suspended version? 

Oh, no both versions has only five steered axles with different steering radius. But in non suspended version is in the body switch for rear servo, which control rear three axles. And you can switch it, than rear three axles can turn same way as front ones. One axle is still straight, but XL engine can hanndle it and crane is moving sideways. As I remember, that suspended version has minor problems during driving in curves. And I thing, that rear axles was overloaded due to superstructure, and their springs can not hadle it. Not much, but it was clearly visible. I don´t want to say, that suspended version was so bad, for sure is someone who can disagrees with me. I say only my opinions. Hope this will help you.

Edited by Kladovec

Hi Kladovec is it possible to convert the superstructure to cater for the longer Lego actuators I have tried but I am not experienced enough to redo the gearing

On 5/8/2020 at 10:11 AM, Kladovec said:

Good information.  I am surprised though about the needing the extra motors.  It actually seems overkill to me.  The large crane I built several years ago has two more axles than this crane and I drove it with only one XL motor and it drives fine.  Steering is somewhat difficult but this has nothing to do with the motors or power (and I can't remember the motors in there) it has everything to do with the crappy Lego electronics (PF remotes and receivers)

On 5/8/2020 at 8:46 AM, mkbryant said:

I'm also interested in suspended vs non-suspended. I first found the build on rebrickable, and, I guess erroneously, picked the suspended version to start planning to build. I started buying up parts based on the inventory from OleJka but hit a snag when it came to the qty 10 steering portal with 2 pin holes and 2 ball joints (11949) which all go for around $10 on bricklink. Not paying $100 for 10 parts. Then I found this thread and started reading through. I never found a really good description of the differences, only people who referred to "difficulties" with driving and steering. I'd love to see a really thorough description or review of the pros and cons of each version.

7z files are compressed archives similar to zip or rar. I know 7zip (https://www.7-zip.org/7z.html) can open them, and I think winrar can, too. Not sure about winzip.

So I clicked the link provided and it takes me to an information page.  From there I can click to a link that takes me to a download page but there are many, many options for downloads. 

Forgive my lack of computer savvy, but not sure which is right for me to download.  I run Windows 10 (64 bit) but not sure to download the 2016 or 2019 version.  All I want is the instructions for the carrier (non-suspended version). 

On 5/14/2020 at 11:22 AM, sbonas said:

Hi Kladovec is it possible to convert the superstructure to cater for the longer Lego actuators I have tried but I am not experienced enough to redo the gearing

Gearing does not need to be redone.  Drive line just needs to be extended.  I am doing it now, but I will not know how it fits the boom until I do that as well.  But remember, you can also just move the mounting spot on the boom to fit the longer actuators.