Blakbird

[MOC REVIEW] Grove GMK6400 Mobile Crane

Hello from Florida. I have the 42009 kit and I ordered all of the parts to build the Grove GMK 6400 MOC. I am pretty new to Lego and to technic. I am 73 and retired. My question is...what string do you use for the extended boom? How much do I need? Where should I buy it here in the US? Can it be ordered on Bricklink? It looks like the string that comes with the 42009 kit is too short, and not used in the Grove MOC. 

2 hours ago, motomatt said:

I found that a sewing string worked very well.  The longer the better.  Something like this:  Coats & Clark Dual Duty All-Purpose Thread, 400 Yards/1 Spool of Yarn, Black

Thank you Motomatt for that information and link. I will see if I can find it in a store just to check out the string as compared to what came with the 42009 set. Then I will order on Amazon.

3 hours ago, AFOLegofan66 said:

what really works well is black braided fishing line...very strong and you can seal the cut ends with a little heat. 

Another good idea to follow up on. Thank you.

Hi all

I have upgrade my 42009 to the ideal of lego the crane as what I want

The appearance reference is base on Grove GMK 5250L
Chassis is base on u42009
Superstructure is rebuilt by myself
Boom is reference efferman design from this post.

Thanks the internet, there are many great designer share their porject and ideas:thumbup:

video will be upload after few days :blush:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/x2529/42009/GMK5250L/p_20190712_213350_vhdr_auto.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/x2529/42009/GMK5250L/p_20190712_214349_vhdr_auto.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/x2529/42009/GMK5250L/p_20190712_214440_vhdr_auto.jpg

Edited by mitx2529

Hey guys so I have the original 42009 with the ultimate moc.  I want to build the gmk6400.

Couple questions

1. Which is best boom to do? I want to use the home made lego actuator 

2. Is it better with or without suspension?

So far I have the 1.1.7 instructions, just not sure where to get parts list for what i need on top of the original 42009 ultimate moc

Thanks everyone

I have built this with Firgelli actuators but the home made actuator should work just fine. It is suggested that no suspension will make this a much better final product. It did for me!! Still have it in one piece it is that great!!

Grove is my favorite MOC, I start with original 42009, after that I change it to full RC (not Jurgen´s ultimate). Next step was GMK 6400 MK II with suspension and full boom with LEGO actuators. Final version is MK III without suspension and boom with 3D printed Efferman actuator. Boom with LEGO actuators work fine, but raised angle of boom was terrible. Carrier with suspension wasn´t bad, but two XL motors located under driver cab wasn´t best idea to power all twelve wheels. In my opinion to much friction. So next gen has to come. MK III without suspension 3 XL motors, each for two axle -  but it need V2 receiver and two servos for steering. Now much better driving and steering. Boom with printed actuator is longer (six panels), but heavier. And even with XL motor for actuator, it is very hard to raise (especially in the begining). But when it´s raised and extended it´s a beast. So my opinion - MK III without suspension and effe´s actuator, but you can made your own actuator from LEGO parts.

So build the file 1.1.7. And use the boom and superstructure and all from that file? Other then I may do a lego actuator

Is there an easy way to tell what parts I need if I have the 42009 and I also did jurgens moc too already

Thanks!

Hi, I am also a newbie to Lego Technics. Looking at a couple of MOC to build, cranes, love the mechanical actions. Having looked at the parts inventory I notice that the "Receivers" are included, but not the "Transmitters?Controllers". What is the reason for this please?

Hi all,

Just started building this crane, its my first MOC and need some help. I do not have all the parts as yet but thought i would make a start. The parts itinerary lists wanting 6 of 62821. However looking at the building instructions it looks as if these should be 6 of 6573. Am I going mad or are 6573 the correct items. Yes I think that I have mixed up codes, havnt got my head around this as yet.

Many thanks

Colin 

Hi Colin, you didn´t wrote which version you choose. If you are building version with suspension, than you need differential part number 6573, but if you are trying upgraded one, with 3 XL motors wor driving, than you need the other one - part number 62821. Hope this advice will help. 

11 hours ago, Kladovec said:

Hi Colin, you didn´t wrote which version you choose. If you are building version with suspension, than you need differential part number 6573, but if you are trying upgraded one, with 3 XL motors wor driving, than you need the other one - part number 62821. Hope this advice will help. 

Brilliant, thank you. Can I have more help please? which instructions are which? I am at the moment working to the suspension version, which shows part no 6573 and instruction file 1.2. This also shows large motors(I think) which instructions is it for the other version you refer to?

Thank you for the help

Colin

53 minutes ago, letsbuild said:

How does this model compare to 42083?

One is a display car without any relevant function and this is a crane with 8 power functions.

Just now, goggel said:

One is a display car without any relevant function and this is a crane with 8 power functions.

Thank you, I realize I didn't specify enough. How do the dimensions of this model compare to 42083? I want to know if I'll have enough room on my shelf for one.

This depends on the version and modification. The unsuspended lower part is 72cm long, 15cm width and 13cm heigh, Efferman's upper structure is 30cm width and 82cm long. 

Hey guys so I got it mostly built. What a great build. I have a question about the controller. So the middle 2 remotes are steering driving and outriggers correct?  My question is what configuration are the 2 outer remotes suppose to be??  I can’t seem to find the settings in the instructions

thanks for any help

Edited by Boomhauer

Hey guys on effermans boom I noticed the end has 3 pulleys which I want to build, but is there instructions somewhere on how to build the matching hook??

Cam

On 4/17/2018 at 2:40 PM, Kladovec said:

Quote "

Hi there once again, finally finished MKIII with dual outriggers, efferman´s actuator and superstructure. It´s really big crane when extended. I´m not 100% satisfied with it, there is much work to do with it. I have to improve lateral stability when boom is extended - some wheels or something, Driving and steering is much better with these improved version, than with suspended one. But with ballast on carrier is drivning and steering on its limit, better without it."

Hi KLADOVEK I'm about to rebuild my mk3 Grove to your amazing spec considering the above quote is there any major changes you have made and have you updated your build file

regards

Hello everyone, I'm new and would like to build this crane.  Could I get an XLA file and a layout plan

10 hours ago, Chesleyn said:

Hello everyone, I'm new and would like to build this crane.  Could I get an XLA file and a layout plan

There are a couple of different versions - Carrier with or without suspension and a few different boom variations.

You will need to read through the thread to get an idea of which one you would like to build.

The carrier version without suspension seems to perform better when driving.

Below are a couple of links for the version without suspension and utilising Firgelli actuators for the boom.

https://bricksafe.com/files/afol1969/Instructions/Grove6400-MKIII_1.1.7z

https://bricksafe.com/files/afol1969/Instructions/GMK6400-Mk3_Firgelli.mpd

Edited by Costas
Typo fix

Hello,
I'm Grandpa Lothar (79) and I'm about to build my Grove 6400 as a very late straggler. The carrier is already finished and works well with the remote control. Now I am working with great pleasure on the Superstructure.

I build according to the building instruction "Grove6400-MKIII_1.1 with Firgelli Actuators.pdf"

I have 2 questions and if possible ask for your help:

1. The extended outriggers are bending questionably when lifting the carrier. Is that normal? I'm worried if the weight of the superstructure is added.

2. The inner part of the boom is moved over a rope as the middle section extends. I have problems with the building instructions here. Where are the exact points, where the ends of the rope are fixed and how is the rope guided within the boom?

I would be very happy if you can and want to answer me.

many Greetings

Grandpa Lothar

Edited by Grandpa_Lothar
My question about the hoisting rope is answered an little above on this page. Sorry

It's a model in plastic - very few of even the lego factory models are capable of lifting the crane. Treat them as a visual aid only - they won't be of significant value in supporting the weight of the vehicle.