Blakbird

[MOC REVIEW] Grove GMK6400 Mobile Crane

According to the parts I need, this one is different than the final version mentioned before. Can you explain the differences?

According to the parts I need, this one is different than the final version mentioned before. Can you explain the differences?

Which version mentioned before are you referencing and what parts are different?

The GMK6400 added to rebrickable should be version 2 of the Carrier (no suspension) and version 3 of the superstructure (using firgelli linear actuators). These are based on the Grove6400-MKIII mpd and pdf available from afol1969. The mpd is from 11/23/2015 which was used to automatically create the parts list in rebrickable.

I build suspensioned one. If need I may upload it to rebrickable..

I mean compared to afol1969's version mentioned here

The instructions you are referencing are for the 1.2 version (Carrier with suspension, Superstructure using lego linear actuators) from January 2015.

The parts list on rebrickable http://rebrickable.com/mocs/motomatt/grove-gmk6400-mobile-crane is for the latest version (Carrier with no suspension, Superstructure with firgelli linear actuators). afol1969's links for the latest instructions are here http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=92669&st=25#entry2267059

It has liftable operator's cabin, 4 big BB. Two of them is empty. If need to lower the boom lower than 45 degrees - better to feel in the 3rd box up with batteries. For extremely use you need to feel up with batteries the 4th battery box. But I do not recommend to do this, because of extremely high pressure to some parts.

It has liftable operator's cabin, 4 big BB. Two of them is empty. If need to lower the boom lower than 45 degrees - better to feel in the 3rd box up with batteries. For extremely use you need to feel up with wbatteries the 4th battery box. But I do not recommend to do this, because of extremely high pressure to some parts.

Hello new member here.

So i'm currently building the carrier (version II, no suspension), and i'm having real trouble with the wiring, I can't make some of the connectors reach the IR transmitters.

I there anyone who can help. I also notice wires on the rear servo motor are very constrained as they come out of the motor,is this normal

All in all I'm loving the build.

Hello new member here.

So i'm currently building the carrier (version II, no suspension), and i'm having real trouble with the wiring, I can't make some of the connectors reach the IR transmitters.

I there anyone who can help. I also notice wires on the rear servo motor are very constrained as they come out of the motor,is this normal

You should have 3 short 20cm extension wires, and 3 long 50cm extension wires. For me, running the pf wiring cleanly was the most difficult part of the build.

You should have 3 short 20cm extension wires, and 3 long 50cm extension wires. For me, running the pf wiring cleanly was the most difficult part of the build.

Thank you, i do have all the correct extension wires, i was may be 1cm short, i pulled the lot of it apart, i found (

Plate Special 2 x 2 with 1 Pin Hole [split Underside Ribs]

http://www.rebrickable.com/parts/2444 ) attached to the front servo motor was rotated the wrong way, and the drive 50cm extension from the back two motors needed to be freed up a little.

While doing the build i also found that the wires if bent the wrong way would clip the gear teeth from the outrigger extension drive train.

i would love to see build guides that have temporary jigs for the placement of wiring at with correct routing and distance, even the Lego group, i find it the hard sometimes.

I have (

LEGO Set 8879-1 - IR Speed Remote Control ) and had hoped to use it for steering an drive but the two function are on different

receivers

Anyway thank for your help. and the community for one of my most rewarding builds

I too was 1cm short, and after 3 hours of messing I took one of the 20cm extensions off (not needed), used it and another 20cm ext to extend to 2 outer IR receiver cables. I am currently putting all the wire jumble under the engine, neatly. If I fail, I will go back to vanilla wiring and take carrier apart and try again. Also, I am mulling putting on rear red lights.

Hi All, I'm currently building the GMK6400, but I'm having a lot of trouble,Section III boom can not be recovered (but can be extended),

And I can not determine whether my string installation is correct?

issue.jpg

15 minutes ago, efferman said:

Have you installed two strings?

Hi efferman,

No, I only install one string,Should I install two string?

If yes,How do I install in my boom section 2 and section 3 ?

Thanks you. 

efferman

37 minutes ago, efferman said:

One string is extracting the boom, the other one is retracting the boom. So you need both

Got it, but the instructions does not specify the string where the fixed, there is a detailed picture can refer to it?

Attached is a diagram for routing both cables to have extend and retract.  I have used this to great success. 

3 Section Boom Cable Routing With Return .jpg

Edited by nychase

12 hours ago, nychase said:

Attached is a diagram for routing both cables to have extend and retract.  I have used this to great success. 

3 Section Boom Cable Routing With Return .jpg

Hi,Nychase, This is really a very useful solution, I will try to install it, I hope to be able to succeed in my gmk6400,  I am so grateful for your help ! ^^

I've finally finished the MKI. This is just a awesome model.

Next project, modifiy the superstructure. I'am almost done - 6 panels and another section.

And after that, it will converted to a MKIII

GMK1.jpg

Anyone done an sbrick conversion to the Grove crane?

If so please post a couple of pictures,

First time user and new to the community, but been building for 44 years. Very interested in the large crane builds. having trouble accessing the build plans apparently my laptop is too old to support whatever bricksafe is running . could anyone transfer to dropbox and share link?

just ordered 2 40009 kits for parts and a bushel basket of power function parts to move forward.

thanks

ive been making a couple changes to the design

the cab is now 17 holes wide as well as the fenders and I added a hood over the engine and wired it for an extra switch to turn off the front receivers and added an extra xl motor just for the engine to run i also put efferman's superstructure on and put a switch in the superstructure to turn the winch on the superstructure off

GMK 6400 MK3 with efferman superstructure and alt smaller ballast and extra motor 2.png

Edited by james k

i also made a new ballast that is just slightly wider than the crane

Edited by james k