Blakbird

[MOC REVIEW] Grove GMK6400 Mobile Crane

OK,

thanx Effe... I will probably order 2 pieces from Shapeways... What kind of material should I use? Nylon? Do I have to polish it than? Thx...

MaxSupercars

Edited by MaxSupercars

There is only strong and flexible available. And yes, to polish before painting is a good idea. But the most work will need the cleaning of the screwtread inside.

Based on Alex's MK3 .mpd file I made the following:

800x1154.jpg

800x872.jpg

Thanks for sharing the instruction^^

I like the way you filled in the Crane upper structure. Would you post a few more pictures of that area?

Based on Alex's MK3 .mpd file

Thanks for sharing the instruction^^

So you successfully built the crane without problems? No errors in the instructions? If so, I'll upload the update where I've corrected an error and made an additional note.

Greetings

Alex

So you successfully built the crane without problems? No errors in the instructions? If so, I'll upload the update where I've corrected an error and made an additional note.

Greetings

Alex

Hello,

The instruction is almost perfect. I found two errors. The one is that length 4 axle should be black at step 1 in page 5. The other is that the following two pages in superstructure are missing:

800x556.jpg.

800x556.jpg

And then I just made the working movie. I leave the link http://cafe.naver.com/bricknara/712541

I'm sorry that the link document is written in Korean.

Best,

Kee-Youn

Edited by jesuskyr

I like the way you filled in the Crane upper structure. Would you post a few more pictures of that area?

Thanks^^

800x598.jpg

800x598.jpg

Thanks, Kee-Youn,

Indeed the 4L axle from the first axle should be black. And the missing pages, there must be gone something wrong by combining the pages. I'll check this and make an instruction update next days.

Greetings

Alex

Any kind soul has a the full part list for in bricklink for this Grove GMK 6400 mk3 ?

As of current , I had a set of 42009 and a set of ultimate version 42009 , and the extended boom parts .

I need to calculate what other extra parts I need for building the Grove GMK .

Any kind soul can help ?

A million thanks !

Outstanding model guys!

If someone here wants pictures of the real machine to design or detail their crane i can make them for you.

My employer has a real Grove GMK6400 in the fleet. so i can make close ups/detail shots etc. if you like. :wink:

Since you offered, some pics of the carrier drive and steering mechanisms would be wonderful please. From a quick glance at a similar but smaller chassis here, there looked like a combination of mechanical and hydraulic drive to different axles. Any clues about the steering links and support hyadraulics would be great. I've also seen some with hydraulic over air struts as well that let the driver compensate for sloping terrain. Does this have any capability in that regard? I know the Demag AC50 can be rocked side to side about 20 degrees either side of vertical but don't know if the larger rigs are built the same way.

I can't seem to find a working link to the MkIII version anywhere - preferably a PDF or LDD compatible file as I use a Mac.

Does anyone have a copy or link?

Thanks folks.

I can't seem to find a working link to the MkIII version anywhere - preferably a PDF or LDD compatible file as I use a Mac.

Does anyone have a copy or link?

Thanks folks.

Its in afol1969's bricksafe, click the link under his post. Its a .7z file so you will need a copy of 7zip installed to unzip it.

That actuator has been discussed, but it has problems in this application. Because it is designed to be trunnion mounted with a motor hanging off the back, there is not a good way to have it supported and to pivot properly in the superstructure. The pivot point either needs to be behind the motor or the motor needs to be remotely mounted.

Actually I've had an exchange with the maker and there are 4 standard pin holes around the axle on the end, so something like Part 87408 could easily be used to create a 'normal' powered through the pivot attachment, like the standard actuators..

I originally started this review topic 21 pages ago, and at this point the model being discussed is no longer the model that was reviewed and there are quite a few variations out there. As an attempt to make order out of the chaos, I will try to summarize the different versions out there. This is much easier to do if we separate the carrier from the superstructure. As far as I know, there are only 2 versions of the carrier. The superstructure is a lot more complicated.

Carrier

• Version 1: by Gerger, full suspension on all axles, complete instructions available from afol1969 (this is the version in my review)
  • Version 2: by Gerger, no suspension, improved motorization and steering, complete instructions available from afol1969

Superstructure

• Version 1: by Jurgen, boom by Christophe, draft instructions available from Blakbird (this is the version in my review)
  • Version 2: by Jurgen, boom by Christophe, additional counterweight by afol1969, complete instructions available from afol1969, functionally identical to Version 1
  • Version 3: by Jurgen, boom by Christophe, additional counterweight by afol1969, modified to use Firgelli actuators, complete instructions available from afol1969
  • Version 4: by Efferman, boom by Christophe (but extended from 5 to 6 panels), uses much larger counterweight, Efferman's 3D printed actuator, and has a tilting cabin, no instructions available but LDraw file is available

For the carrier, I think the only person who has built both versions is Gerger and he prefers Version 2. I have built Version 1 but plan to convert mine to Version 2 at some point.

For the superstructure, I think no one has ever built all 4 versions. I would like to convert mine to Version 4, but I'm not sure anyone has built this one, even Efferman. I do have his actuator already which I'll be painting. Version 3 seems to be the fan favorite at the moment.

Hi Blakbird, sorry but these links don't works.

Hi Blakbird, sorry but these links don't works.

That's because Bricksafe has changed their IP address. Just change the IP to www.bricksafe.com and they should all work.

Thanks for all the hard work with the models and the instructions!

I'm trying to get the missing parts to build the carrier MkIII with the superstructure V2. The carrier MkIII uses "Technic, Steering Arm Small" for steering the front and rear axles (instructions p.9 and p.23):

https://alpha.brickl...page?P=6571#T=C

As these are very difficult and/or expensive to get in Germany, does anyone see a solution w/o using these Steering Arms and still maintain the functionality?

Since you offered, some pics of the carrier drive and steering mechanisms would be wonderful please. From a quick glance at a similar but smaller chassis here, there looked like a combination of mechanical and hydraulic drive to different axles. Any clues about the steering links and support hyadraulics would be great. I've also seen some with hydraulic over air struts as well that let the driver compensate for sloping terrain. Does this have any capability in that regard? I know the Demag AC50 can be rocked side to side about 20 degrees either side of vertical but don't know if the larger rigs are built the same way.

Hi, i couldn't take pictures of it the last couple of weeks because it is now on a job site in aruba building windmills. but i can answer some of your questions

The GMK6400 uses Grove's Megatrak suspension like every other Grove all terrain crane does. it has independed suspension on all wheels. it uses one big hydraulic cylinder per wheel. the suspension system itself is quite simular to Nooteboom's Pendel X, although it only uses one wheel per side instead of 2 like a pendel x.

the diffrential of a driven axle is mounted directly to the chassis with 2 drive shafts per axle that fit directly on the hubs. it truly increases ground clearance when you raise the suspension, that is what makes a Grove unique. it soaks up speed bumps with ease, for a crane a Grove is very comfortable to drive.

the real deal has 30cm of suspension travel per wheel wich is quite impressive. from the lower cabin you can raise or lower the front, rear or either side manually to make the crane level on uneven surface. each cylinder has 2 suspension arms that connect the top and the bottom and allows it to steer the wheel.

Here is a video of how it works

The 6400 has a unique drive system though. Axles 1 and 2 are driven mechanical using drive shafts and diffrentials like any other Grove crane. axle 3 is not driven, only steered. axles 4 and 5 are fitted with hydraulic motors. they are only used at slow speeds to get it in motion, or when manouvring the crane on a job site...they offer alot of torque. axle 6 is not driven at all. every axle of the crane can steer, the rear axles can be steered independently from the front at slow speeds to allow crab steer.

They used hydraulic motors on the middle axles because the outriggers of the crane take too much space, there simply is not enough room for the driveshaft. its also an easy way to save fuel consumption and weight cause it has alot less turning parts that need to be driven.

Hi GT

Thankyou very much for the description and explanations. I appreciate your effort. Whilst I can see why gerger was keen on an all wheel drive carrier, it's not done that way on the real one. The fixed differential I haven't seen before and as you say, significantly increases the centre clearance of the vehicle which would help greatly on dirt paths with raised hump in the middle.

It's tiny, but think there is an error in the "Grove6400-MKIII_1.1-test.compressed.pdf" instructions.

Page 56, connecting the rear outrigger module to the carrier, instructions say to insert two long blue pins into liftarms that already contain pins.

edit - Ignore that, I made an error :)

Edited by MundaneBob

Finally I have all parts and I started building this amazing moc!

I'm using draf4 instructions and it's a really complex building but I'm enjoyng it.

I think I will take some weeks for build it, bacause I'm very busy of work, but it doesn't matter.

Thanx to all releasers for instructions.