Blakbird

[MOC REVIEW] Grove GMK6400 Mobile Crane

Thought I'd share the boom geometry I'm planning on implementing using a firgelli actuator:

Thanks for sharing the photos with what this actuator has a working stroke of the piston. But you can tell even approximately, what load it can withstand, and, at least roughly, what kind of arrow it will be able to lift at the peak.

Thanks for sharing the photos with what this actuator has a working stroke of the piston. But you can tell even approximately, what load it can withstand, and, at least roughly, what kind of arrow it will be able to lift at the peak.

I've put quite a bit of force on it with my hand and am confident that it will lift the boom throughout its entire range. The actuator has a lot of mechanical advantage when the boom it at its peak (most vertical), so I think it will be able to support a significant weight at that point.

I've put quite a bit of force on it with my hand and am confident that it will lift the boom throughout its entire range. The actuator has a lot of mechanical advantage when the boom it at its peak (most vertical), so I think it will be able to support a significant weight at that point.

I think that if even put two actuators of this type, they will still not be able to move the arrow like this.

_MG_1428

Or am I mistaken, since it is necessary to try?

May I just send out a great note of thanks to Gerger and afol1969 for the design and instructions, plus efferman for the superstructure mod. It's thrilling to be able to put together something like this and your assistance for the mortals amongst us is greatly appreciated. As you may notice, i'm still waiting for efferman's custom parts to be manufactured, but since when did that stop anyone from having fun :)

It's certainly more purposeful than the TLG units, however none of them have 4 figure pricetags nor the build experience of this MOC. That said, the red one does add a special touch of colour.

QUWS36L.jpg

C40iJlT.jpg

mTiDNy4.jpg

oh, and for efferman, who 10 pages ago asked for feedback on build instructions made up of incremental lxf files - fabulous idea. Works a treat!

I also have another plan for this thing. I don't have any GMK6400 is this country, but we do have a 6300L which is practically the same thing. We also have roads made out of cheese and the road axle load limits for the basic crane are too low. To overcome this, the boom is partly carried on a dolly that is fixed to the boom with only a couple of pins. The turrent slew is left free in transport mode, so the boom tows the dolly around and the only connection between the lower and the dolly is the electric and brake air lines.

Just fiddling with an idea here..... Any thoughts?

ajftqu8.jpg

I saw this example from DJ Adair in Sydney and it looks splendid in white and purple. It'll be difficult to replicate that in natural lego colours.

taxi1.jpg

oh, and for efferman, who 10 pages ago asked for feedback on build instructions made up of incremental lxf files - fabulous idea. Works a treat!

thank you very much

Just can't help myself. Why is it hard to make compound slopes in lego?

PuXq7kA.jpg9UlPOvb.jpg

2P8Yioz.jpg

Hi all,

I am new to the forum but have been a fan of lego technic since I was a kid. I have recently completed the wing body truck and enjoyed the process so much that I wanted a new project to pursue. Based on this forum and development of the model of time I have chosen the GMK6400 build (using the GMK6400 1.1 build instructions). I have successfully imported the part list into my bricklink account and have commenced collecting the required parts to build the model. I have a couple of questions relating to this part list.... I was under the impression that the list was based on already owning the 42009 however, for example I see there are 12 wheels and tyres and all the parts for a V8 engine (just to name a few) however these would be already included in the original 42009 set. The more I look into the model build instructions I also see there is a requirement for four remote units for the 'remote control unit', however these are not listed in my imported part list. Have I done something wrong or do I need to download more part lists (ie. one for each section of the model?).

Thanks in advance. I am sure you will be able to point me down the correct path. Your assistance in this is greatly appreciated.

I am looking forward to the build!

Regards,

Pete

Pete - if you go back through this thread you'll find instructions for using tools like brickstock to subtract certain sets (like a 42009) from the list of parts provided for this model. There are a few different lists though since there are a few major revisions of upper and lower structure. The 42009 will have the complete engine, but will be missing 2 wheels/tyres. You can also use two remotes if you like. Set the lower/chassis two channels same as the upper/turrent, but you'll have to leave one switched off when you don't want to use it. That's no big deal since that's how the real thing operates.

If you are looking at afol1969's pdf instructions, the parts lists in those are only for a major component (upper or lower) not the complete list. One of the early ones also had double the number of lots of parts - I don't know which version you have, but there are some common markers. If you need 4 linear actuators or 24 wheels for example, you've got a problem file.

word of warning for the parts list with brickstore - make sure everything is set to either new or used when you subtract, or you'll end up with results you weren't expecting.

Thought I'd share the boom geometry I'm planning on implementing using a firgelli actuator:

It's a good start and it may involve significant modification to the superstructures in order to accommodate a 90 degree geometry, especially at the gear chain for the boom extension.

May I just send out a great note of thanks to Gerger and afol1969 for the design and instructions, plus efferman for the superstructure mod. It's thrilling to be able to put together something like this and your assistance for the mortals amongst us is greatly appreciated. As you may notice, i'm still waiting for efferman's custom parts to be manufactured, but since when did that stop anyone from having fun :)

Thank you. Very nice crane collection. I am interested to see a gmk6400 sitting with the big family because I have two set of 42009 but I use them straight into MOC without building the set actually.

I also have another plan for this thing. I don't have any GMK6400 is this country, but we do have a 6300L which is practically the same thing. We also have roads made out of cheese and the road axle load limits for the basic crane are too low. To overcome this, the boom is partly carried on a dolly that is fixed to the boom with only a couple of pins. The turrent slew is left free in transport mode, so the boom tows the dolly around and the only connection between the lower and the dolly is the electric and brake air lines.

it's good for display but you may need to take out the 8T turntable gear before the superstructure can rotate freely with drive.

efferman's big actuator turned up today. A few small teeth broken off some pieces, but otherwise ok. At this point i'm not sure how to put it together, but hoping to find out when I clean out the bits. :laugh:

ajftqu8.jpg

I saw this example from DJ Adair in Sydney and it looks splendid in white and purple. It'll be difficult to replicate that in natural lego colours.

taxi1.jpg

Hi Bonox, This is what I wanted to do aswell but if the cranes body turns on a motor how will it be able to free turn when the truck turns because it will be stuck in one position?.

My superstructure is held in with a single removable pin. I've got a carrier axle pin next to the drive axle that I slip the 8t onto when I want it to free spin. ie the superstructure comes on and off regularly to do so. When I get keen in future I'll try to remodel the geartrain to put a selector in to disable the drive to the turntable. Another quick idea was a foldaway lower support and the red frictionless 8t gear - the support to stop it falling out in use, so you'd just shuffle the gear along the axle to engage/disengage. There's not enough room to do this on the current superstructure though. You could also use a clutch gear at the end of the train as well.

I like to balance my turrent pretty well, so it doesn't take much to turn it, which shouldn't upset a clutch close to the turntable. I've also got a support rail around the rear of the carrier to ease the load on the turntable when loading the counterweight. Was thinking of designing some wheels into it, but will need to cover the drive train for the stabilisers first.

Hello!

First of all I should notice that you, friends, could build an impressive structure. And I decided to follow your instructions and upgrade (together with my son) a stock 42009 that we have.

A short technical question: I downloaded Grove GMK6400 New.bsx file and imported it into Brickstore program. The program showed me total number of parts is 3503.

Then I followed link http://rebrickable.c...nstruction-2013 and clicked on " Number of Parts:".

Under drop-down menu I chose "Export to BrickStore (BSX)" and opened the file in Brickstore. Unfortunately option "substract items" is working incorrect: errors:165, Lots:405, Items: 899 (value and weight didn't change).

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Edited by Melaeg

brickstock is the current supported program derived from brickstore (as far as I know anyway).

The database on the old one sounds like it's missing many parts which are the errors.

You'll also need to make sure everything is the same condition before you subtract, since it treats new and used parts differently.

17238418692_65c5d9a801.jpg

finally have the boom built and was able to load-test the firgelli actuator. I was wrong about 1 actuator being sufficient- it was juuuuuust able to raise the extended boom but sounded painful. 2 actuators twinned together work fairly well - some strain, but not excessive.

Hi Colin, Looks Goods :classic: Do you have any idea of the maximum load it can lift? I am very curious because I probably need it for a project of mine :blush:

Very nice project that I discover just now. I have a project for a mobile crane (with bigger wheels), so this is very interesting.

I just finished the base-construction of this incredible MOC. INCREDIBLE!!

Now my question: are there any instructions for the superstructure of Efferman or any other? I only found the GMK6400.pdf with one superstructure.

There I miss the counterweights...

thanks

I just finished the base-construction of this incredible MOC. INCREDIBLE!!

Now my question: are there any instructions for the superstructure of Efferman or any other? I only found the GMK6400.pdf with one superstructure.

There I miss the counterweights...

thanks

I'm still working on the MK-3 Version with the Firgelli actuators on the superstructure. The step orders are right now, and the part list available. Still a lot of notes to add, but I've uploaded an new draft, at least you can collect the parts and start the building.

http://www.bricksafe.com/files/afol1969/Instructions/GMK6400-MK3%20(1).pdf

Greetings

Alex

Edited by afol1969

Afol1969, do you have instruction for long version of boom? (not 5, but 6 segments)

No, I haven't. I've only the CAD file made from efferman's boom (see here: http://www.bricksafe.com/files/afol1969/Big_superstructure.mpd). And I cannot guarantee that all parts are complete as LDD has not all parts in the database, converting from LFX to LDR sometimes gives terrible results.

And for the moment I've not planned to make instructions of it, I've now other projects I'm working on them.

Greetings

Alex

Hello,

I am following this topic for a while and at this point I am at the critical stage where I need to order the bulk of the extra parts needed beside the vanilla 42009.

My big dilema here is which version of the carrier I should go for??? I have the parts list printed for the version with full independent suspension with 2x XL and 3x Large motors. I guess this is the list that was originally submited to rebrikable as the official GMK6400 mod - might be wrong though!

Yesterday, when I checked latest instructions posted by Alex @ #497 I discovered that the full independent suspension is gone and the motorization has changed significantly and it now includes 3 x XL, 2 x L and 2 x Servo motors.

So, before I go out and start spending quite a bit of cash, I would highly appreciate if someone in the know would comment on what is the optimal version to use at this point: with full independent suspension, without suspension with servo motors or maybe there is another one that I do not know yet about. In the end what I care about is how well one version perfoms over the rest when under load. I want to build a smooth, fully functional model.

As a side question: did anyone yet figured out what is the max load that the original LAs can take? I am seriously considering the Firgelli actuators but, before going all in, I thought it would be good to check what the community here knows.

thanks

Alex C

PS: just noticed that this is the the post #500 in this great thread. To many more!

Edited by maverick14