Blakbird

[MOC REVIEW] Grove GMK6400 Mobile Crane

I have today got my SBricks so now one of the models of this awesome crane is built here in my place.

However I have really found out that either I have to get this secondary gearbox for my Firgelli actuator or I have to purchase a second one and then use 2. The boom is way to heavy for the actuator.

Unfortunately the alternative gearbox can only be purchased from their main office in Canada and not from their distributer network.

Anyway it will have to wait until next year. Best wishes to you all for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Impressive i didnt expect you that you can lift 1kg with 4 small LA-s.Amazing mobile crane.:D

So if somebody can produce an LDRAW for the second carrier version, my offer to make instructions is yes :classic: - with the superstructure modification (Firgelli actuator) included.

I have done a detail pre-stepping in LXF so that experienced LDD users should be able to follow immediately. LXF here.

LDRAW stepping file will be next.

Has anyone calculated how much this beauty will cost? and what is the lower cost alternative?

The approach would be to take the parts list and subtract 42009, then whatever other 'suitable' sets and the PF (those are cheaper directly from Lego, not BL)

I have done a detail pre-stepping in LXF so that experienced LDD users should be able to follow immediately. LXF here.

LDRAW stepping file will be next.

Noob question incoming. With the influx of options in this thread I have not yet decided which version I'm going to build, but anyway when looking at your file I noticed the oddly colored bits in the last grouping. I assume these represent something, but could you perhaps explain it to me? :classic:

Noob question incoming. With the influx of options in this thread I have not yet decided which version I'm going to build, but anyway when looking at your file I noticed the oddly colored bits in the last grouping. I assume these represent something, but could you perhaps explain it to me? :classic:

the oddly colered bits represent L and Servo PF motors, which are not currently available in LDD. As you are building, just swap out the motors as you go. It is common for builders who use LDD to use impossible or odd colors to represent parts that are not available for whatever reason.

Edited by Saberwing40k

the oddly colered bits represent L and Servo PF motors, which are not currently available in LDD. As you are building, just swap out the motors as you go. It is common for builders who use LDD to use impossible or odd colors to represent parts that are not available for whatever reason.

Thanks, I figured it was something like that :) Ok, so I see what would be the motors, and also something that I guess is a PF switch, but what about the 2x2 plates (a stack of 4 each in matching colors to the motors)?

Would the two transparent technic pins be placeholders for PF lights?

While I certainly appreciate the tremendous effort already invested to put all of this together, it seems many of the studded parts, especially around the two superstructure battery boxes, might be difficult to get. Any chance to make such design 'fully' studless, and resort solely to flat/curved panels for styling, as in the 8043 motorized excavator?

Edited by DrJB

While I certainly appreciate the tremendous effort already invested to put all of this together, it seems many of the studded parts, especially around the two superstructure battery boxes, might be difficult to get. Any chance to make such design 'fully' studless, and resort solely to flat/curved panels for styling, as in the 8043 motorized excavator?

would be great. most of the parts i ordered for the grove were studded, even without the counterweight (current status: ultimate + extended boom waiting for sbricks).

Has anyone calculated how much this beauty will cost?

The parts count can be calculated with rebrickabl, the posted files and ldraw/ldd. The current pieces are around 1000€ + pf.

Edited by goggel

Follow the 199 pages instructions, i have buyd 3 x 42009 and 2 x 42030 new in the box. On different site's I have find the remaning new parts I need. In the boxes from the 42030 you'll find all the electric parts you need together with te electric parts in the 42009 box you only need one switch en twoo extended cable's. I have spend about €. 900,- so that I build the crane. I must say it is a lot, but it is an awsome model. Thank to all the creators..

I must add that the price I have payed is in my country the Netherlands. prices maybe different in other country's.

Buy the way this price is for the fully suspended version..

Thank you for the feedback, though I'm not sure we're there yet ...

For sure buying all parts from BrickLink will be expensive. What I'm looking for is what is the 'incremental' cost if one already has all the PFs and many yellow sets.

So, and I guess many on here are on in the same boat, the question is: If you remove all the PFs, what are the minimum sets you need to purchase to build this beast?

I guess the most 'sensible' (cost effective) approach would be:

1. Take away all the PFs,

2. Add 2x 42009

3. Purchase additional yellow curved panels and new narrow suspension parts from BL.

Whatever is left, what sets would be more suitable to fill in the gap.

What I am looking for is essentially a functionality that exists in Peeron, where you upload all your sets, then choose a set to build, then Peeron tells you whic parts you have enough of, which you have in the wrong color, and which parts you're missing.

Two points:

1. You can't upload custom part lists to Peeron

2. I have around 50 wheels/tires, and if given a choice, I'd rather not buy duplicate parts again (like 2 more 42009)

DrJB, check out www.basebrick.com; it has the exact functionality that you are asking for. After you have uploaded all your sets and/or loose parts, you can then use the compare functionality to check which parts you are missing.

It'll tell you:

- which parts you have enough of or not

- in what sets those parts are to be found

- if not enough, it'll tell you how many

- it'll also let you know if you have enough of a certain part but not in the correct color

- you can make it differentiate between loose and set parts (say, if you only want to use loose parts and not set parts to make a certain moc)

it can handle BSX (brickstore) files, bricklink inventories and bricklink xml wanted lists / rebrickable MOC files.

I used it and it for the last partslist that's available for the Grove and for me it'll be about 50€ extra parts (apparently I already have a more PF parts then needed for this build ... :look: )

Edited by Strikeman

You are free to make that choice. I was looking for the cheapest way, and all new bricks and acc. I now have all the parts for arround €.900,- the remaning parts cant be used for another build, or you can sell them..

... DrJB, check out www.basebrick.com; it has the exact functionality that you are asking for ...

Thank you, exactly what I was looking for.

You are free to make that choice. I was looking for the cheapest way, and all new bricks and acc. I now have all the parts for arround €.900,- the remaning parts cant be used for another build, or you can sell them..

Makes sense, but like I said, each of us has a 'unique' situation. Appreciate the feedback though.

1. Take away all the PFs,

2. Add 2x 42009

3. Purchase additional yellow curved panels and new narrow suspension parts from BL.

Adding 2 42009 will probably won't change the needed part count much. The current versions do not use suspension but 3 XL for driving, 2 servo for steering, 2 L for the outriggers and for the super structure 3 M, 1 L and 1 XL.

The same functionality is offered by rebrickable for calculating the needed parts. I've also added the counterweight to my parts virtually, to exclude it from the calculations.

I've bought additional parts for around 250€ for the ultimate + grove, without any pf.

Edited by goggel

Adding 2 42009 will probably won't change the needed part count much. The current versions do not use suspension but 3 XL for driving, 2 servo for steering, 2 L for the outriggers and for the super structure 3 M, 1 L and 1 XL.

The same functionality is offered by rebrickable for calculating the needed parts. I've also added the counterweight to my parts, to exclude it from the calculations.

I've bought additional parts for around 250€ for the ultimate + grove, without any pf.

Thank you, I just tried basebrick and not fully familiar with all features. Ultimately I want to include only few sets (those I'm willing to sacrifice/recycle) and no touch others. There is a learning curve of course. I'll try rebrickable shortly. This sounds very promising, and such tools come in very handy.

Thank you, I just tried basebrick and not fully familiar with all features. Ultimately I want to include only few sets (those I'm willing to sacrifice/recycle) and no touch others. There is a learning curve of course. I'll try rebrickable shortly. This sounds very promising, and such tools come in very handy.

I did everything you mentioned with Brickstore. I started with the Grove parts list, then I subtracted the parts for 42009 to see what was left. It knows the parts for all official sets, s you can subtract whatever you like. Personally, I started with 42009 and then bought the rest of the parts on Bricklink. PF parts from Lego Education.

It shouldn't be a problem to make the counterweight in another color, for ex, in LBG. I have much more grey parts in my stock than yellow parts (plates, brackets etc.), so probably I'll build it in LGB - and can save some money.

Greetings

Alex

I did envy thing you mentioned with Brickstore. I started with the Grove parts list, then I subtracted the parts for 42009 to see what was left. It knows the parts for all official sets, s you can subtract whatever you like. Personally, I started with 42009 and then bought the rest of the parts on Bricklink. PF parts from Lego Education.

It shouldn't be a problem to make the counterweight in another color, for ex, in LBG. I have much more grey parts in my stock than yellow parts (plates, brackets etc.), so probably I'll build it in LGB - and can save some money.

Greetings

Alex

Thank you guys, appreciate all the feedback. This is definitely a MOC for the history books (if such thing exists) and your support/dedication is commendable.

Edited by DrJB

I have a little problem with the build. can anyone tell me where i can find the instructions for how to put the cable's from the differend motors on the recievers?? I have the 199 page instructions, but i cant find in there..

DrJB: I have the Firgelli EV3 actuator. This one is not sold out. You should contact Firgelli to have them to change the normal gearbox with gearing ration 100:1 with an alternative gearbox with gearing ration 210:1. The original is not stong enough to lift the boom.

I am just waiting for a second original one hoping that 2 with gearing 100:1 can do the job. Otherwise I will have to purchase 2 new with alternative gearbox and just have the others placed in my stock.

DrJB: I have the Firgelli EV3 actuator. This one is not sold out. You should contact Firgelli to have them to change the normal gearbox with gearing ration 100:1 with an alternative gearbox with gearing ration 210:1. The original is not stong enough to lift the boom.

I am just waiting for a second original one hoping that 2 with gearing 100:1 can do the job. Otherwise I will have to purchase 2 new with alternative gearbox and just have the others placed in my stock.

I've one Firgelli actuator without alternative gearbox - I didn't know that it's probably to weak to lift the heavy boom. So should I order a second one? The problem is that I' to pay terrible shipping price with insurance, border control tax, etc that comes to ca. 50€. So I'd to pay a total of 100€ - and now I risk that the actuator cannot make the job to lift the boom! :wall: .

If someone has an actuator (without alternative gearbox) to sell, please contact me before I make a second order.

Greetings

Alex